The Guru3D Fallout 3 PC Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sash, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Game is both TPS and FPS

And look @ my rig; i can run all AMx. AF max, AA x2, and 1680*1050..outside i got 60-50 fps ;)

2. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    So I was playing this in the dark on my HDTV with my 1000w theatre system last night and I walked into the school. I haven't been freaked out by many games but that certainly wasn't the most pleasant of sights! Pretty awesome stuff so far... except I'm out of ammo and health and caps and I think finding those might be a bit difficult, so who knows.

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah i'm in the same situation...i have a damn knife in my hand:D..and is pretty hard to do damage with that lol...

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Ammo and health are bountiful, at least on easy they were, not sure if difficulty scales what you get for loot.

As for levelling, it affects way more skills than just speech, but you damage you give and take is defined by your equipment.

Completed the game, exploring all the unexplored locations.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    baseball bat does very good damage ;)

and people do not confuse. this is not a action FPS like CRYSIS or else. this is FPS-RPG.

6. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Yeah, geez, this is the first non-linear game I've played. (I've been playing FPS's and GRID exclusively) I'm a little confused with so much room to roam. Tho I'm lovin' the apocalyptic world in which I'm roamin'! All these converations are very new as well, I think I've been spending way to much time chatting up every soul I find along the way.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Thanks - I was about to ask this question. What specifically do you mean?

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well, i am not a pro of RPG and neither previous FALLOUT games.

But this is clear that the main idea here is basically to explore and battle. like old style 2D FALLOUT. today this is just 3D and and with the helps of VATS system u use ur Action Points(like it happens in RPGs) in fight to gain advantage over ur opponents . That adds too much value to the game and a cinematic experience to the battles.

I said do not expect the FPS elements of CRYSIS, or even STALKER. ur controlling a 3D character and walking running and u can use TPS or FPS view but ur actions r abit limited. like Far Cry 2 lets say. iam angry to it because it suppose to be a decent FPS, but couldn't make it. i mean no lean, no prone... no attraction of gun battles. But FALLOUT 3 doesn't come up as a FPS. and no review focuses on that. u can of course use FPS and use ur weapons in hand, strafe, crouch as u did in all FPSs,but in gunfights u will mostly use VATS..and ur skills, armor, weapons, and conditions of them affects ur battling .

And replay value of this game is amazing!

9. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    The pic below I took using my eVga 9800 GTX+ at FULL quality meaning everything maxxed @ 1680x1050. In otherwords Ultra High Quality. Take a look at the question mark areas in the pic, notice the crap texturing, the low poly and the still environment.

[​IMG]

This gfx meltdown is purely evident throughout the game so far. I ask you, is that state of the art or fantastic gfx? Gorgeous even? Cheap and dated is my thought. I guess my expectations were too high. Not helping the immersion factor here. Zero blows in the air, other than enemies there is no livery to the world, no blowing newspapers or debris. Just bland still environments. Run through a bush and it doesn't even move a branch kind of thing...gets old.

Fallout 3 is a good game. Not at all revolutionary. Good Story yes. Realistic effects? not much. Ragdoll non-existent. Sound is seriously lacking. The way I see it, if you really enjoyed Oblivion you'd probably like this game, just don't expect much more in the frills department. Maybe a few less crashes.

10. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    I mentioned it before, but for those of you that find they are running out of
    ammo, find a weapon called the ripper, its a chain sword. My melee skill is
    low, and I can still kill things easily with it, its a good last resort without AP,
    as you can just hold down the attack button and saw through things.

11. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    This is not a shooter game, while it has shooter elements, it is a RPG. Your ability to shoot enemies is only partially based on your ability to use the mouse to target them. You have gun skill that helps with accuracy and damage. Being an RPG you actually do not kill everything that moves like in a FPS. This is a living world where NPCs(Non Player Characters) live in the world regardless if you are there or not. Just like in Oblivion they talk to each other and go about their business. In crysis for example, you just shoot everyone that is no you.

Fallout 3 also has a story, sure cyrsis has a "story" but it is not really that deep. In Fallout 3 you decide what your character is good at and what to improve when you level up.

If you treat Fallout 3 like a FPS only, it will not be as rich and you will not enjoy it. If you treat it as a RPG first and enjoy the fps elements, you will love the game.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    thats kinda what i feel about the game..i see a lot of people enjoy it, and it's a good thing, i didn't played the early fallouts but i saw some reviews and i might have to say, i think it was better if they didn't make it fps-rpg, and just rpg, witcher style i think it was more appropriate, i guess the witcher engine could have been better for this game..

13. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    At this point, it seems more difficult to me than FPS's. Well, not sure "difficult" is actually the right word. Just kinda weird having to think more:D In all the other games I've played (admittedly not a huge variety) the optimal decision is usually to just kill or use whatever I'm facing at the moment. (An oversimplification, but know what I mean?) I'm likin' this rpg thing so far!:thumbup:

14. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Keep in mind that this was made with the same engine as Oblivion and that engine is starting to show its age...

High-res texture mods would make a WORLD of difference....

15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I hope what you said its true. Oblivion is a let down on the choice you could make. You don't need to think in Oblivion, everything is so obvious or im just use to more puzzle oriented RPG where they usually give you a riddle to solve.

In Morrowind, you got a wiki like 'convo' box and its give too much information but oblivion is the other extreme where it gives too little information, even quest related convo gives too few information for you to do anything.

16. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Haha, I think Crysis has got it stuck in our heads that all games should now look as great as or better. And its not like that, remember when Oblivion first came out and everyone is in aww. GPUs out at the time couldnt really handle it and the gfx were the best most have ever seen on a PC game. Thats the same thing happening again. Comparing everything to Crysis. Which is hand downs a beautiful game, but not all games that come out after are going to be on par with it.

I dont have this yet but from the screens Ive seen it looks pretty good, not a Crysis, but decent. But Id like to hear more info about the story line and AI..

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Fallout 3 is an rpg and tries to use the classic rpg heritage as best as it can while at the same time introducing new yet very ambitious elements to the old mix, a prime example of this is how the vats system works as it gives you the opportunity to use the classic final fantasy style approach to 'cinematic' showdowns yet at the same time stays true to it's 'adopted' fps approach by giving the player the choice of completely ignoring 'vats' and taking real-time shots just as you would in an fps.

The idea of destructable environments, extensive physx is a new one and has only really been tested with fps titles, given bethesda introduced some very ambitious new fps elements to the rpg genre with fallout 3; further innovation was never intended or expected specially given the extensive work and detail already present it would have made the the title deviate further from it's classic rpg roots and possibly limit the scope of the game's environment. This could easily backfire given the nature of hardcore rpg fans and in this case ultra-hardcore fallout fans, in all honesty the notion of destructable environments is still not mature and something most people still do not consider a pre-requisite; specially not for an rpg.

The ability to introduce an rpg-fps that handles both these elements so well while being under the considerable weight of the fallout legacy is no easy feat and yet fallout 3 makes it look and feel so natural, I don't think many developers could do what bathesda has done on this title and given the likely ( imo almost guaranteed) success of this game who knows we might even see something down similar lines which incorporates all these elements.

18. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Not really for me but I know what you mean. I just know what my video card is capable of and Fallout falls short on what my expectations were for this game. I already anticipated Oblivion engine but I expected a very rejuvenated engine taking advantage of a lot of features on my card and adding a lot more qualities overall and way better optimized. All I honestly have experienced so far is a re-skinned Oblivion game with a new more impaired GUI and a lousy map. I bought it, I'm mildly enjoying it so oh well I guess. :)

19. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I've preordered this on steam and it's not yet out ... I live in Egypt :mad: argh I'm dying reading these posts... I think this game may kick BioShock off my #1 spot.... *drool*

There is a big difference between ES4 and Crysis... And that difference is that if you stripped ES4 of its great visuals. It would still be an amazing game...
    Guess what I'm gonna say next.

20. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Please delete this one :S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.