RivaTuner Nightmare !!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by AusDog, Oct 25, 2008.

1. AusDog

AusDog New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800 GS 384mb
    I installed the new Rivatuner an hour ago and it did more damage to my software than all the viruses I ever had. It deleted half the software on my hard drive including Google's browser Chrome. Somebody is sucking up to Bill Gates. It changed every user configurable setting that I saw. It was like I had just installed Windows. It even wiped out the set-up on Outlook Express...completely. Thank God I had a full back-up made this AM so I lost only 8 hours work. I can't believe a well known website would back such garbage. I'm sure this post will disappear in a matter of hours so if they leave it perhaps they haven't completely sold their souls to RivaTuner and its' author.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well, after 8.944.974 downloads and thus installations, you are the first to report something like this. We are not going into an arguement here as your post already shows we can't change your mind anyways, but really .. it wasn't Rivatuner as code-wise it isn't even possible.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you though.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Maybe that's a good sign for you that it is time to keep your system virus free. And no, it won't be deleted. Other forum visitors have a right to have a fun readingng that.
    And by the way, blaming Bill Gates doesn't make you look like a cool IT pro. Whatever you think and tell, that guy could dominate the market and make himself with his own brain. That's something that the most of "BG sucks" guys will never reach in their lifes.

4. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    LOOOL! It was the funniest post about RivaTuner I have ever read. :funny:
    What in the name of God have RT to do with your Outlook or half of your software?

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    It once turned my PC into a Mac ! :eek3:

Curse you Unwinder.

6. AusDog

AusDog New Member

GPU:
    Yes it makes no sense because the author would have to go way out of his way. The possibility that RivaTuner had something in it's back pocket is possible. I have seen viruses that were carried by programs from MajorGeeks, FileFront, Download.com etc.The operators say we scan our files constantly but it wasn't there before and it happened when I installed the program. The fact that it killed my Firewall and Anti-Virus tells me it had to be a virus.

7. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    It sure as heck wasn't Rivatuner in any case.

8. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Oh yes it was. I'll never forget what happened the day I installed Rivatuner 1.8. The moment the installation finished, green smoke flooded out of the back of my PC and traveled directly toward my brother. That evening he killed our new puppy Schmaltzy and started running through the house with scissors in his hands which was a big no-no in our household. It took three or four exorcisms before he returned to normal. I still miss Schamltzy to this day. :cry:

EVGA Precision works great though. :)

9. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Looks like the op joined the forum to talk utter boll****. You have any contracts out on you Unwinder?

10. Unwinder

Why did you say that, bastard? Now sad eyes of poor Schamltzy will follow me in nighmares till the end of my days :D

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    easy now frances
    for 6yrs i'v been using RTand have been dl' from guru,always turns up kleen of the nastys.
    remember crap happens just dont blame rivatuner for it.

12. AusDog

AusDog New Member

GPU:
    Further

I had a serious problem and if it makes your day to make light of anothers misery then you are a sorry individual. Experts have said that viruses can have variants made with little trouble and yes the AV's can look for a certain type of behavior but these guys said for an AV to be more or less foolproof it would have to be updated hourly. I have put a download on a CD/DVD and reputable AV progs did not spot them untill the AV prog saw it again 6 months later. I'm afraid the bottom line is that we are fighting a war which is unwinable with todays technology.

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    joking aside, its very unlikely that rivatuner caused this. Are there no other things that you can think of? or software that you installed?

14. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    lollocaust

15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I had a really bad experience it made my graphics card faster than it should be now i have to high a fps in games .............

Joking aside rivatuner is the best software for Graphics cards i think it was a coincidense this happened when you installed the software i would start looking at what else was on you PC as i am 100% sure it was not Rivatuner unless you downloaded it from a really really dodgy location and it had been messed with.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008

16. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    The reason nobody is taking you seriously is because of your following comment:
    You posted in the official RT forum, blaming Rivatuner for ruining your system without any hesitation and with an acid laced tone. No wonder you didn't find any sympathy here. :3eyes:

17. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    *preparing to care*

Care failed.

Though in seriousness, going all out to blame Unwinder for your (seemingly) virus-laden computer troubles isn't, dood. I've been using this proggie myself for over 2 years. To even insinuate that RT is capable of doing something like what's happened to your computer is down-right outlandish.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  18. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    watch out for the unwinder virus, that riva tuner will getcha!

19. Unwinder

Talking seriously, if you suspect that any software contains a malware and if you really use license copy of any antivirus, then you're able to submit such executable file to antivirus developers team and let the professional code analysts to see if there is any threat in the code or not. There are also multiple online services providing similar services. And many of them review RivaTuner regular because it is being monthly bundled with the most of PC hardware related magazines:

[​IMG]

RivaTuner received "100% CLEAN" award on http://cleansofts.org

Anyway, if you suppose that they sold their souls to me too, you can find any other alternate service you trust.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  20. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X