Weird behavior with Riva 2.11 and 4870 1GB

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Scyphe, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    [​IMG]

I have no idea why it constantly flip the frequency between 2D and 3D (500-800). I've tried with CCC Autotune on and off, makes no difference (except that it flips between 500-840). The card is a PowerColor HD4870 PCS+ 1GB.

I have no idea if it's Rivatuner or if it's something else. I need another tool that can show realtime GPU frequency and ATT doesn't work in Vista x64. Any ideas anyone?

EDIT: It's the Hardware Monitor that causes the frequency to flip. I just checked with GPU-Z running next to it (running with and without Riva's Hardware Monitor, making sure GPU-Z would keep measuring while in the background). Letting GPU-Z monitor by itself showed no weird behavior.

ps. while I'm at it, I can't change the values on the auto-fan page even though I've enabled it by setting the value for AutoFanSpeedControl to 3. Tried with CCC Overdrive enabled and disabled, and with manual and auto fanspeed in CCC. Perhaps I need to disable CCC completely?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's normal for 4870 series PowerPlay controller and I'm deadly tired to repeat it, it was discussed dozens of times. There clocks are switched by hardware controller depending on GPU usage and 2D GUI activity (such as graphs windows scrolling) is accelerated by GPU too. You may scroll browser window and get the same clock jumping. And it is normal and by design of these chips. A lot of guys were unhappy and complaining that ATI PowerPlay controller drops the clocks during old games when GPU usage is not to high on RV6xxx. ATI did the usage sensor more sensitive and now there are the lot of guys complaining that are boosted with no reason. Insane.
    So either keep it in mind and use it as is, or hide the graphs, or reduce graphs window size, or reduce graphs polling period, or reduce amount of active graphs, or just stop using RT.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  3. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Sorry, I didn't mean to irritate you. I looked for posts about this but couldn't find anything, and I couldn't even begin to come up with the correct search words. I just wanted to know if something was wrong and now I know it's supposed to be that way.