EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    No its not genius.... my point was simply to illustrate that the net is not essential to life as water, shelter and food is. So obviously gamin isnt necessary... neither is working in a cubicle but we humans are a fickle lot

Having a computer period isnt necessary to life....but owning one opens doors not closes them or limits them like DRM. If you buy something, you own it. You should be able to use it where and how you see fit. Now if yer making a profit or limiting a profit by the creator \ copyright owner thats different. I hardly call installing somethin more than 5 times a symtom of piracy. As many ppl have mentioned they may have 2 home comps, or a laptop, comp and kids comp... or have any of the above and then get a lovely "Hey buddy reinstall windows" message cuz it took a dump. If this type of DRM was in windows I'd have lost my right to use my 400 dollar ultimate LONG ago, I've blown it up more than 5 times to be sure.

Zyro

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    Will the real EA fanboy, please stand up!!!!

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You see thats just not true....

There is alot of things That cant be used in certain ways...Such as ...The internet it self...(isps), Cars.....( you cant speed just because its yours), Software...(you cant copy it then Sell it cause you bought it...),

Its just how life is....Yes you can debate the " Limited activations Factor" But really the only way to Fix this is "Letters", Letters to "Ea' Or whoever will do ten times more than petitions or anything..Petitions Be it online or offline do jack ****...

If Everyone writes a letter to EA stating there case, they would have to comply....but people dont...they just sit at home and complain on forums, if they REALLY cared they would Goto the full lengths of fixing it...Which if everyone did,...i have no doubt it would affect something.

I think im going offtrack here and i dont even know what i just said lol...

4. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Starforce.... dont make me laugh... Look up StarFu ck -no space-
    and making the net a REQUIREMENT is problematic... requiring it for a game that is played online only... that makes some, limited, sense. Developing a single player capable game that rules out the non -internet comunity, no matter how small could throw up some flags and no doubt has within censorship and freedoms groups.

Yes games do get cracked.... not in days my friend.... in hours or less. On any given release day there are available torrents with cracks...sometimes AHEAD of release dates. My question tho is WHY do ppl only think this is a PC problem? You can get any console game on any release date or before at yer fav torrent site.... dont have one? ask google. Gee why does FarCry 2 come to mind.... The effect is minimal however... Take Spore...arguably one of the most pirated games recently.... made record profits.

This has and always will sound to me like a bumch of fat cats crying over the SPECULATED money they THINK they DIDNT get.....cuz U know 50 million isnt enuf 52 million woulda been fine tho

Zyro

5. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    ok pls attention man....

Yer just not reading all of what I say or absorbing it.... The quote in and of itself that you post here from me if taken just as its quoted, does deserve to get pounded on.... I did however qualify my statement in such a way, I thought, as to avoid this kind of response. I did say exactly:

"You should be able to use it where and how you see fit. Now if yer making a profit or limiting a profit by the creator \ copyright owner thats different"

So you can see this is VERY different. I am not saying anythin that can be compared to speeding just cuz ya own the car.... thats just retarded.

And the limitations...such as speed limit and ISP limits are all VERY CLEARLY posted on signs, booklets, contracts etc where the rules, obligations and ramafications of not following them are VERY painfully and concisely written. Unlike DRM which is usually discovered by an AV makin a false positive or a super geek, its not written or stated, much less clearly, like the above mentioned items are

Thats the bulk of the beef I think

Zyro

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Its a shame the Star **** doesnt work with the latest Version.

Thats funny....cause i swear its nearly been 2 days since far cry has been leaked yet no crack :p??

Wait....You think its not about money????

im confused.....EVERYTHING is about money in the world.....lol?? How could you think otherwise..

The way your talking, you are a pirate...Do i care ?? no way...im a pirate big time to...
    But i know its wrong...and i know they should do everything to stop it...But im like Hackers...if something doesnt want to be done...i try do it.

But you seem to be trying to make piracy to be good?? When we all know it is not and never will be, Despite the fact that millions do it. Your argument against protection goes nowhere, what are you trying to prove? That They should give up? That they should Join Piracy? that they should not care and lose profits??

Its Business, and its how it works.

ps.

I know Games get cracked quick, i know games get leaked......this is the point....If games were not being cracked then they wouldnt do this...its that simple..

7. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Surely not me

Whos an EA fanboi? I assure you I'm not pro EA in the least... if theres a "Beef Bucket" someplace where ppl can sound off about what they think about EA and the direction they've taken in the last 10-12 years -which is to say downward- in terms of customer satisfaction, quality and business practices then I'd have to request an auxillary bucket to hold the backlog off beefs I have with this company....

I might have to pull out my NFS 2 and road rash beefs

Zyro

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Its a shame the Star **** doesnt work with the latest Version.

-----You are obviously behind... get a newer version.... or tweak the old reliable like I did... Go Trackmania Nations Forever

Thats funny....cause i swear its nearly been 2 days since far cry has been leaked yet no crack :p??

----Cant find a crack? or make a bypass? I feel for you

Wait....You think its not about money????

im confused.....EVERYTHING is about money in the world.....lol?? How could you think otherwise..

---- Um I didnt say it wasnt.... I recomend google translate to help you

The way your talking, you are a pirate...Do i care ?? no way...im a pirate big time to...
    But i know its wrong...and i know they should do everything to stop it...But im like Hackers...if something doesnt want to be done...i try do it.

----- Try harder

But you seem to be trying to make piracy to be good?? When we all know it is not and never will be, Despite the fact that millions do it. Your argument against protection goes nowhere, what are you trying to prove? That They should give up? That they should Join Piracy? that they should not care and lose profits??

Its Business, and its how it works.

----- I'm not saying any of that? Where R U getting this? What I said was that this is a centuries old battle and will likely always rage and self perpetuate, limiting something or locking it will and always will generate this type of behavior... I'm not tryin to suggest what will stop it... I dont know....cuz its always existed...if I had that answer I wouldnt ever need to work again. Oh and I dont recall denouncing or calling for a removal of all protections.... read whats there please

-----echo?

ps.

I know Games get cracked quick, i know games get leaked......this is the point....If games were not being cracked then they wouldnt do this...its that simple..[/QUOTE]

--- it sounds simple dont it? Too bad this is how ppl are... the majority do things right while the rest try to find an angle.... If cars werent stolen we wouldnt need the club... If ppl didnt get sick we wouldnt need doctors...If it werent for the fact that I'm alive I'd be dead....

Simply stating the inverse of a problem is not its cure necessarily. Moreover it is never "That Simple"

Zyro

9. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    EA questionnaire to Console and Sims players

What to you think about DRM? Select one option.

1. I don’t know what DRM is
    2. It doesn’t affect me, I play on console
    3. Other

Response

1. 89.3%
    2. 10.5%
    3. 0.2%

Guess how EA arrived at their 99.8%?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    lol, you have just proven my point :)

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That wasn't his point and you know it. If you want an analogy it'd be like saying you could only drive your car a certain amount of times, and could only have a certain amount of different people drive it. Would you like it if someone gave you those restrictions? I sure as hell wouldn't.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    so whats the complaint? Warhead was painless for me, activated nice n quick and all went smooth as butter. you guys getting error messages? disk wont play, DRM cause your computer to slow to a crawl...what?

maybe you guys need a console, it would solve the problem no?

13. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    The only way I am buying anything that has DRM on it, aka any ea game, if it is on Steam. Bought Far Cry 2 off of steam and Warhead no bull**** DRM. Steam will always remeber I have those games and don't have to use discs.

14. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Newsflash EA reports that penetration in the computer video game market gets destroyed.
    99.8% of EA customers for games released after 2008 are console gamers.

... If only that where true...

Careful Ubisoft put SecuROM on retail FarCry2 with no indication to whether steam FarCry2 is any different.
    Since companies don't like to talk about DRM, the people at Valve only assumes that there is SecuRROM. Unfortunately, they don't seem to confirm this information with their publishers. It is a shame.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/19900/
    read this:
    3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
    5 machine activation limit

sure steam will remember you have the game... but the game may just go F*** you any ways.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  15. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    we should start a club along the lines of the bikers 1%ers

I'm an "EA 0.2%er"

I give a Damn about DRM

lol

16. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    You guys forget that the DRM also disable your completely legit software.

Its like buying a car, you can drove as many time as you want as long as you remember to (I wont use taking the key off since that is extremely easy to remember and most new car have a sensor and tell you that you forgot your key) switch off the headlamp(Ive seen lots of people forgot to do so). Otherwise, your car have to be taking away and they charge you a 'replacement' fee so you can have the same model car again.

But once you acquire this car, the garage door will not working as intended because they see that its a breach of security and people can stole the car using the door. So they force it shut. (But a proper robber can still breach it while you the normal user can't even open/use it)

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You cant compare it to a car..

Cause you have to pay for your license to drive that car :)

So what your saying, we should be paying a licence to play games?? :p

18. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Well, you compare it to a house...:nerd: But maybe a bike would be a better example :p

19. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    When it is done right I do not care ( revokes an activation when uninstalling ). When it is done wrong and restricts the amount of life installs I can make, then I do care.

20. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    But once u pay the house of u dont need to pay anymore :p