178.13 modded by side

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by antoine, Oct 1, 2008.

1. antoine

antoine Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX260 v2

I bought bf2142 last weeks and got no problem with a fresh xp install + 178.13 modded by side.

2. Dymblos

Dymblos Guest

GPU:
    GTX570
    Yo antoine, who is "side" XD

3. antoine

antoine Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX260 v2
    side= sideband, author of these modded driver!
    read first post for more information..

4. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    Thanks for the reply.
    I went ahead and tried it. I have yet this morning to try it with BF2142; but I will soon and let you all know if it helped.

I do want to let people know one thing about this driver that they may need to know. They need to; at least for the Vista download; that they will need to also get the 7z460 zip application to unzip it because it gets downloaded as an (7z) file. You can get that here.: http://www.7-zip.org/

No I have to also congradulate (Side) on this driver. The first thing that I have tested was my 3DMarkVantage score. I will link the new score versus the old below.
    New (178.13 by Side): http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=449713
    Old (175.16 by nVidia): http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=167542

This is a great driver. You can see the improvement. The nVidia driver was not good enough even with my BIOS OC'ed. I never did try the (178.13 or 178.15 by nVidia) with FutureMark Vantage because of the problems. Now if I was to try this with 3DMark 06; the score would be even higher because it has a different scoring rate; which I might compare later.

So so far so good. :thumbup:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Well it does not fix the black screen flashes in the BF2142 game. It is still better than the original one. I hope that (Side) could take a look at the Black flash issue with this driver and see what he can find out. It makes the game unplayable at times. It happens mostly with explosions. Some have said that it has to do with the AA. I am not sure myself. But it is worth a look.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008

5. Yummey

Yummey New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768 MB
    What's the inf folder for? I think you replace the file you want into the install folder, right?

I'm guessing the Tray on file refers to the icon in the tray. Does that mean quality means more quality?

Thanks. :D

6. yuka

yuka Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx @ 820 / 1200
    New (178.13 by Side): http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=449713
    Old (175.16 by nVidia): http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=167542

-----------

Thats a hacked result... Cant you see that the only thing changed in y our result is your cpu score there is no imporovement with driver.., and there is nowhere possible that your cpu can score 19k on that test ;) 3dmark has prohibited the use of your gfx gpu doin the test instead of your cpu, therefor this result isnt legimit. The drivers are nothing special.. i tweaked 177.92, and i still use it, its the best atm.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    the only thing i noticed with this driver is, that this quality setting only bumps the iq to very high and forces trilinear and aniso sampling optimization to on, otherwise if set to v.high they're both off.
    i noticed this in earlier versions too, so tnx but ill skip, i don't need worse iq to get better speeds lol...

8. Decon

Decon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 460 SE
    Side....Sorry to hear about your stolen inf.

Once again, your drivers are awesome. I too noticed in HQ that the optimizations are forced on. I wondered but I still have excellent IQ and the speed is great. They are very smooth. This is easily the best all-around driver I've seen for my 8800GT SC 512 since I bought the card last December.

killersneak..You are pathetic! Go play in the street

Keep up the great work and plagiarism is...a form of flattery. We know "You're the Man".

Thanks,
    D

9. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    I do not get what you mean by a hacked result. All I did was change the driver and turn off the BIOS OC'ing from the older settings. Oh and my hard drive is different is that helps improve things a bit.
    But their is an obvious improvement between the two.

The driver 175.16 has this score.:
    3dMark score = P6449 3DMarks
    CPU score = 4223
    Graphics score = 7824

The Driver 178.13 by side has this score.:
    3dMark score = P610399 3DMarks
    CPU score = 19565
    Graphics score = 8994

Yes the Graphics score is not as big of a difference as the CPU. I can not say that I know why that is. The only other thing that I did between the two drivers was change to a better hard drive and turn off my BIOS overclocking. Still if you look at the two scores my Graphics went up. Now it may be the same sort of improvements with the unmodified 178.13 driver; because the driver itself is supposed to do this as stated by nVidia in the release note which I post below.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v178.13 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:
    Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
    Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
    Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
    Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
    Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
    2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
    2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10
    -----------------------------------------------------
    So Their is an improvement. It did increase the GPU score; and the CPU score is greatly increased.

I may OC my BIOS again and see what that does to my score tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  10. xtaz

xtaz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+
    Side, I am not sure if this is because of your driver, but since I installed it and play Soldier Of Fortune 2, then minimize to desktop (while playing), I get the Windows error that says SOF2 needs to be shut down. Also, I have turned the brightness on a lot in that game, and when the game has to be shut down, the brightness is still there. As well as my gaming resolution (12x8), whereas my native resolution is 1440x900.
    I can change the resolution back via the control panel but the brightness stays until I reboot. Strange, never had this kind of problem, this is the/your first that does this.
    To avoid this to happen again I think I'll have to NOT minimize then. :)

11. yuka

yuka Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx @ 820 / 1200
    VectorRoll, Check the particular Test.. Check for a difference why do you get so much better results with second driver?

The driver 175.16 has this score.:
    3dMark score = P6449 3DMarks
    CPU score = 4223
    Graphics score = 7824

The Driver 178.13 by side has this score.:
    3dMark score = P10399 3DMarks
    CPU score = 19565
    Graphics score = 8994

Cpu score with 175.16 is 4223, which is about normal for your cpu, and with side's drivers its 19565 on the same test, now your cpu didnt becoem a quadextrem just because of one change of drivers, did it? Its a hacked results, and when i say that is , drivers physx or something enable gpu to do the cpu test which was suppous to test your cpu and not gpu. Thats why you get such a boost on vantage. 1st result is your real result. Hope you understand now.

12. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    I think that I see now.
    You are saying that the Physics drivers are causing the GPU to run the CPU part of the 3DMark Vantage test.
    That does makes a lot more since. I can understand that part; because I did (not too long ago) update those drivers as well. Now I see what you are getting at.

Yet with that in mind; then everyone should start seeing higher scores if the new physics drivers are helping in improving their scores. Since they help that much. In fact I would not understand why people would not have them installed; because of this fact. So with more people using them; we can not have the 3DMarK test accurately depict the scores for our CPU's.

So when looking at the scores for the CPU's, we might or must have to just use the PCMark test to represent the scores for our CPU's. This way their will not be any confinement in our scores for the CPU's.

So; for those that do not have the Physics drivers installed; then they are truly missing out on the full power of their GPU's.

Yet, even with all that in mind; you will still see a slight increase in the GPU scores with the new nVidia drivers drivers. Just not as much as I originally thought; because of the Physics drivers. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Now I still have a sort of disagreement with the term Hacked in this. But I can see why you are using it.
    I just think that since the Physics help that much; that you can not use anyones 3DMark scores for accurately depicting the CPU scores anymore; because of the Physics Drivers involvement. So it should be or will be common place now; to see higher scores with this test and that will eliminate the need for calling it hacked. If that makes any since.

Maybe Futuremark should add in a way to show that the Physic Drivers are in use. This way; such further disagreements with the 3DMark scores can be adverted.

I will download and run a PCMark Test to see what my CPU score will be. But as for the 3DMark test. They are going to be higher from now on because of the Physics driver involvement that you have pointed out.

13. yuka

yuka Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx @ 820 / 1200
    Well the reason why i said term "Hacked" is because Futuremark has prohibited the use of physix enabled while doing the test. They have furthermore made the scores that have such cpu result invalid, and not real. The reason why is simple because this test is meant to test your CPU rather then your GPU doing the test, its a known fact that gpu's can calculate some of this test much faster then regular cpu. So basicly if you want an accurate result you might wanna switch the physix off for the time of test, and then just put it on again.

Hope i helped you understand.

14. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    Yes you did. Thanks.

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    What makes these optimized?

Like, how does one 'tweak' drivers?

16. xtaz

xtaz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+
    3DMark06 Basic:

175.19: 6125
    177.66 XF: 6197
    177.70 XF: 6197
    177.70 modded by Side: 6203
    177.73 XF: 6222
    177.79 beta: 6211
    177.79 modded by Side: 6261
    177.83: 6301
    178.13 modded by Side: 6285

17. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    why these not posted under modified drivers on download section? and is there actually any difference between this version and DOX release which so called claim to be stolen... he also released a 178.24 one

18. Shaythong

Shaythong Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA / 7150M / 128mb
    I think side's have better performance and has more image quality. Dox made his for laptops and I don't think the quality isn't that great there.

19. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    I am wondering how long it will be before Side gets one made for (178.24).

20. antoine

antoine Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX260 v2
    couple of beta 180.XX are out, I will probably mod one of them ^^