Will this psu be enough for this gpu?? calling all eggxperts

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MiMiK, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    hello there, i have a question

will this psu hec Orion XPOWER585 585W ATX12V 2.01 be enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339001

for this gpu EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380

plus this system

Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM) Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ 2876MHz
    Crucial 2GB DDR2 @ 5-5-5-15 360MHz
    1 WD 160GB HD, 1 WD 320GB HD 7200RPM 16MB
    Lite-On CD/DVD Burner

If anyone got time can some1 explain to me alil about the psu, about v rails and stuff dont quite understand it

thnks in advance :stewpid:

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  3. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Something tells me that such an inexpensive power supply would bad news for your computer, especially since you're overclocking your CPU. The 9800 GT isn't a real powerhog, and 39 amps on your 12Volt rails sounds good--well--at least it does on paper.

I'm actually surprised that such a cheap PSU got such good ratings on newegg. Usually PSU's at that price are garbage. Personally, I'd spend the extra money, even if it means $100 more, to get a more reputable powersupply such as those from Thermaltake, Antec, or ABS Tagen. In those brands, you can definitely feel the added weight due to beefier components, and also their cabling is much better.

Don't skimp on the PSU.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I think there's no way a 585W PSU is going to be a problem with your system. A good brand 450W PSU would do the job so in all probability you've nothing to worry about.

5. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Guest

This is 100% true. I had a non-name brand PSU that just took a crap dive on me. It overvolted my system and i Killed all 4 Hard Drives, X-Fi Platinum, Motherboard, DVD Burner and my Intel Pro NIC. Do NOT get non-Name Brand PSU. I would HIGHLY recommend PC Power and Cooling. They will cost you more but in the long run its much better. With a warranty you cannot beat. Is it really worth spending an extra 50 to 75 for a PSU that is significantly better, and for a company that will work with you in fixing these problems.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    never heard of the orion, i would go for a repuatable brand with the same odd watt rating.

7. alias716

alias716 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512MB
    i would assume it would work, but seriously... get a better PSU. Its not worth the Ozone/burning electronic smell and a dead system in 2 months.

8. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    ive told this alot but my 485 watt psu can handdle my two gpu with an overclocked intel. it runs the system fine.

9. Tyler Lowe

Tyler Lowe Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX+ SLI
    For only $10 more:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

As so many other have already said, it is not worth the risk to your system to go with a no name power supply. Your system should draw roughly ~270W under load. I would find a quality ~400W PSU preferable to a no name ~500W or even ~600W unit for this system.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Orion has been around for a good while. They supply PSU's for a lot of PC case manufacturers and OEM's. Heck, my Gateway GM5661E originally had an Orion PSU...until I gutted the system to give it a C2Q, HD4850 and 750watt PSU...the MSI case I ordered 2 months ago has an Orion in it...and I have 4 customer systems running Orion PSU's that were built 2-4 years ago. They aren't meant for gaming or "mission critical systems"....but they work perfectly for low-end systems.

11. urmysin

urmysin Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GT 1GB SLi
    From the user reviews the power supply looks ok to me. I won't say you should buy another one that is name brand because I don't know what your budget is. I will say this I have been using a Power Tek ATX500AD 500 Watt power supply non name brand for over 6 years & I have not had a single problem from this power supply. This is about as generic as you can get I think. I have run Pentium 4s AMD 64s on it and even hooked up my x2 6400+ to see if the thing would run it and it did. You really can't call all generic brand power supply's garbage because a few company's that have poor quality control. I think if the reviews are good and it's in your budget you should go for it. :)

Check it out generic power supply running for over 6 years now. I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego @2.8Ghz & 2 EVGA 7600GT KOs on this power supply.
    http://www.telecommander.com/pics/l...wertekaxtp4500walrt/powertekaxtp4500walrt.htm

Forgot to ad that this is a single 12v rail @ 17amps :nerd:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  12. neurokrem-rs

neurokrem-rs Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800 now "Ultra"
    What do you think about Chieftek 550W?

13. urmysin

urmysin Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GT 1GB SLi

I think Chieftec is a good brand. I own a Chieftec case which holds my gaming gear. I also own a Chieftec 360Watt model ATX-1136H power supply. I am not using the power supply for now but I never had any problems with it when I was using it. I only pulled it & replaced it when I outgrew the wattage the little 360 could provide. :nerd: