ATT + Gainward 4870 GS -> PWM-Fan controllable?

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Eagle3386, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Hey guys,

just bought a Gainward 4870 Golden Sample with non-reference cooler. :rock:

Due to heavy temperatures, Gainward fortunately decided to design an own cooling-solution and put two fans (1x 80x80, 1x 70x70) onto the card.

Though, only the 80x80-one is driven by temperature, the 70x70-one _constantly_ spins at about 3800 RPM (which produces about 36 dB(A) - way too much for my ears :()..

So, my question is: would it be possible to control that fan via ATT so that the fan spins, let's say, at about 50% when the temperature is at around 40 °C and at 100% when the temperature exceeds 60 °C?

Best regards,
    Martin.. :)

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Why not to try and see the results?
    If Gainward doesn't connected FAn to any external sensors, it will not be possible to control them.

3. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    The fan in question has only 2 pins.. :(

4. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    So you must forget about it :)

5. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    So, the only way would be to build kinda ntc-resistor-thing, based on a self-soldered wires and that ntc-resistor? :(

6. Catscratch

Catscratch Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1GB
  7. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Well, that's not possible, because the fan's connector doesn't suit into its pendant at the Fanmate's side.. :(

Anyway, I'm going to sell that card to eBay / somebody who wants to have it and buy me a Sapphire 4870 Toxic as soon as that card becomes available..

8. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    i have the same problem, the second fan is very noisy and i can't lower it

maybe there is a way to connect the 2pin fan connector to a standard 3pin of a rheobus

9. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    eagle don't sell the card and look here:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have the same card and now i tryed something new: i have unplugged the first fan LOL! The results above are the graphs of ati tray tools with a session of crysis in dx10mode! All you have to do is unplug the fan (the connector is visible on the top of the card) and the first thing that happen is that your ears now are on holiday :D

Obviously unplugging the fan makes the card raise the temperature in idle from 50 to 60 degrees but using the fan control of ati tray tools you have to set the speed of the second fan in function of the temperature, as you can see i choosed to have in idle 60% (above 1200rpm) and over 60 degrees 70% and more of the duty that are above 1900rpm

Now the fan is in idle 1200rpm (54°) instead 500rpm of the defaults but it is still not udible believe me. As soon as possible i will try to connect che first fan to the rehobus :)

10. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Well, that might work.. I'll reconsider my decision, although I'm preferring that Vapor-X cooling-technology from Sapphire..

Anyway, after reading http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9871&Itemid=40 I'm now _really_ pissed off about Gainward's "customer handling", especially because I wrote an e-mail to them about the Radeon 4870 512 MB Golden Sample and its loudness and the possibility of a 1 GB-edition.. :flame:

Back then (it was prior to the 512 MB-edition release) the guy promised me no 1 GB-edition would come in the future and that the card would produces "about 1 Sone, so not really loud".. :bang:

11. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    the sapphire toxic is way better imho, but the gainward in full load reaches 65 degrees so there is not a real need of that cooling solution

the 1gb version sounds great but with my 22 wide monitor 1680x1050 the 512mb version is enaugh, i think that you need that if you have a 24" wide with 1920 resolution

12. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    this evening i have reconnected the fan on my rehobus and trimmed as i can't hear it

results? near the same as it was disconnected

again 54 degrees in idle but with whe first fan a little bit slower

now i can say that the smallest and noisest fan of the card is USELESS

13. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Playing Crysis at 1920 at a 24" TFT? You _really_ wanna have single-digit FPS-rates? :D

Sounds good, but there's one problem: I got a Bitspower fan-controller, supporting only 2 fans (120mm AeroCool Silver Lightning-fans in my case)..

Another solution might be adding that second fan to the bigger one's connector (i.e. via soldering both red and both black cables together)..

BUT: Considering your statement about the small fan's importance, I'm also thinking about just disconnecting it and trying that setup for a while.. ;)

14. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    the second fan has a sense only if running at full speed but this is why we're here discussing :D at medium-slow speed it can't make the necessary air flow

note that the fan has a smaller 2pin connector instead of the standard 3pin of the rehobus so you must use something to avoid the tachimetrical pin and make near as you can the other 2 so it can fit into the 3pin connector

15. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Well, I contacted Gainward directly because of this issue we're kinda suffering from - and after some talk I received these statements:

1. Disconnecting that 2nd fan is _absolutely not_ recommended, because the PWM-area gets way to hot without the fan and it might harm the hardware..

2. Gainward has noted the issue and there's a new revision of the card with the smaller fan being connected to the connector of the bigger one..

3. For cards like ours, there will be an adapter to reduce the smaller fan's speed to about 50%, making it nearly inaudible - I was told that this adapter will arrive here in Germany in about 2-5 weeks and I was also told that it's no problem for Gainward to send one to me! :D

So, I might stick with Gainward and even buy another 4870 512 MB Golden Sample to get a Crossfire-system.. :)

16. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    i come back here to tell you that in italy a new card has not our problem and is is quite silent but as i can see you have the right answer for the problem :)

can you please tell me in what way you contacted gainward (email? form?) and what you said exactly so i may request the right same connector?

they told you to pay something for it? it is not strictly necessary for me because now i have it on my rehobus but in future when i will sell the card it may come back usefoul

thanks in advance

17. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Hehe.. :D

I wrote a mail to the guy at Gainward's German-department which I was used to contact whenever I had something to ask for or complain about.. - I got his mail-address off of their website, so maybe this website might be of help for you: http://gainward.de/contact.html (Don't get confused by the top-level domain, the page is entirely in English.. ;))

[-EDIT-]
    Well, I just complained about the noise and that he, Uwe Hebestadt, (not working at Gainward anymore) described the card's noise as "1 sone, so not very loud" and that I'm bugged with this noisy card now.. - That's it.. :D
    [-/EDIT-]

Well, I never paid (nor will I ever pay) them.. It's Gainward's fault that "Revision A" was way too loud and that's the very least one could have expected - so, Gainward better sends me that adapter for free in order to keep me (and many people around the globe) as their customer in the future (especially me, because I'm thinking about buy the same card, but "Revision B", again).. 8)

HTH,
    Martin.. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008