Quit smokin ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Zer0K3wL, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Questions for those that succeeded to quit smokin.

How easy was it to break adiction ?
    What was hardest part Mental part or nicotine part ?.
    What helped a lot to quit smokin and got any tips ?.

2. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    The physical addition to nicotine will cause withdrawal symptoms, we aren't talking days of horrible withdrawal like with heroin or alcohol which has to be managed but it certainly won't be pleasant.

The hardest part is going to be the mental psychological aspect of this, mainly because it's a habit with a pattern of use and behaviour. For instance, you wake up in the morning get some coffee and smoke a cigarette, then there is the worst one, a cigarette after a meal, it's almost ritualistic.

With nicotine replacement therapy you stand a much better chance of succeeding but in my opinion, unless you have 100% determination then you will probably fail but that is no excuse not to try and it can take several attempts to stop so you have to start somewhere.

3. hermitd

hermitd Member

GPU:
    HP 8400GS 256 MB PCIe x1
    well the last time i gave smoking up was 4 years back and i have been clean since then :)
    i gave up a few times before that using both cold turkey and nicotine replacement.

Here's my 2p on the subject:
    * if you use nicotine replacement (i used patches), it eases the withdrawal symotoms and uses gradual reduction to get body used less nicotine every few days and it works
    * cold turkey is not too bad either though you better like long walks and do it in winter :) a walk in the cold winter kicks your mind into action a lot faster :)

* the physical part of breaking the cycle is very important. i just didnt know what to do with my hands :) but eventually i think it gets better. i was also used to taking breaks all too often and when i stopped smoking, i had to find things to do besides sitting at my desk all day long.

* i used to be hot tempered and smoking just agrevated the whole thing. when i gave up, i told myself that smoking again is not an option and i shouldn't get angry and over the last few years i have become a very calm person. i hardly ever get angry.

4. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    Tbh i'm not planning to use nicotine replacements cous off fact whats in it, Yeah nicotine.
    Basicly want break that adiction started to stop smoking since today previous attemps i managed to stop for 4 day's and another attemp off 1 week this time going try permantly to stop smokin ofc.

Anyway what i'm woried about is mental part off adiction ;>

5. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I had to keep a pack on me at all times when quitting, that way you avoid that panicky feeling of not having smokes. People used to laugh at me walking around with an unlit smoke in my mouth. Worked for me though, quit cold turkey after 18 years on my first try.

6. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I remember someone telling me a similar story about when they gave up... seems to work for quite a few people :)

7. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Why not use nicotine patches or something like that? This will allow you to get used to life without smoking a cigarette while having the cravings reduced. With the actual physical dependence being satisfied with nicotine replacement it will allow you to deal with the psychological aspect of the addiction.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i just inject feels great and you have no cravings

9. Leodie

Leodie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Really ? hmm.... :p

(jk)

Luckily i donĀ“t smoke, i refuse.

10. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Inject what? Dare i ask.:)

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Will power FTW!

12. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    I smoked for about 9 years before quitting for the first long time - I stopped for 3 years, but picked the habit up again when I started *SPAM* my now wife who smoked at the time. After 1.5 years together we both quit simultaneously.
    Both times it was cold turkey, and spontanous. Just up and said "Today is the day", end of discussion. Honestly, to get through the mental part, what it takes is determination. You have to have it set your mind that this is it, no more smoking. Constantly remind yourself why you are quitting, and assure yourself that this is a good/positive experience. If you keep that in your mind when you are craving a smoke, it really helps nip it in the bud(tt). As long as you are strong willed, and this is really a positive thing in your mind, you will have no problems quitting smoking.
    We are both cigarette free for over two years now, we do occasionaly enjoy a cigar, but now cigarettes are pretty disgusting to us. The smell is awful, and they just taste bad.
    I wish you the best of luck, you are doing a very good thing for your health (and appearance, you will age much better - your skin won't get all leathery).

13. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Smoking is bad, mmkay.

Very glad I never go into it! So many problems from it.

14. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    I tried smoking when I was about 14, didnt like it, never tried again and never will... It just eats up your money, and more importantly your health.

15. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    it's pretty easy to stop smoking, you just have to stop buying sigarettes. after a week you won't miss em anymore ;)

16. renohol

renohol Member

GPU:
    GTS240
    its ez to quit, just go cold turkey and on your 5th day u will get the biggest cravings so just get totally drunk if your 21 and life is ez thereafter

17. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    whats cold turkey ? and why does it help ?

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^if you eat lots of turkey you fall asleep before you can smoke:)
    cold turkey is a medifore for stopping smoking all of the sudden and never looking back.

19. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    might asswell take sleeping pills then ;>

20. b2ghero

b2ghero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GS 661/1647/963
    cold turkey means you just stop whatever your doing and dont look back

but, for me, i love smoking =D