How to speed up 9850 phenom be

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by sinister_steve, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Hi all I was wondering how can one get the 9850 phenom be to use more of its power when doing randon internet surfing ? for I notice in task maniger that when I go to any page on the internet the cpu usage only goes to like 3 or 4 % ...and I have the fast internet so I dont think its that..I have shaw ultra high speed internet..so is there any thing that can be done ?...Thanks

2. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    What you on about Steve? Is your internet not as fast as you'd expect it to be??

Page loading times are nothing more than internet speed related - and at worst, are browser related...what browser are you using, and what exactly is your upload and download speeds??

CPU cycles have nothing to do with anything that you're experiencing, unless the CPU cycles are being used up by something else (something in the background services or viri/worm/trojan calling home excessively) - so cranking up affinity and/or priority for your browser isn't going to do any good, nor is raising your 9850BE to some ungodly overclock.

You're talking about something completely unrelated to the CPU here...I'd look into your internet speeds and the browser that you use - there are plenty of guides on tweaking Firefox to be quicker and more responsive, as well as a multitude of guides on doing the same for IE, Opera, etc.

Good luck Bro!

Psychlone

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, i'm gonna have to agree with the guy above me, i wouldn't be worried that your CPU is only using 3-4% of it's power when you're looking at a website, i'd be VERY worried if your web browser was using 100% of your CPU though, that would make your whole computer go slower AND i'd be wondering what the heck it is doing

4. sinister_steve

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    \

Hey thanks for reply man...Ok so I get what ur saying here now hahahah...So its just the internet bandwidth is why its not as fast as I would hope ..and my dl speeds are eround 14000 and my upload is eround 9950 ..So perhaps I just need faster internet like you are saying or change to firefox...Ok thanks man...Steve

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you just said what i think you said... and that your download is 14megabits down and 9.9 megabits up, then again, wow, what are you going on about? lol that's excessively fast internet, SPECIFICALLY the upload, unless you said it wrong/i miss interpreted it

6. sinister_steve

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    hey man..yes that is what I get for dl and up l...I have always use these two programs which speed up both a lot ..if you are interested they are called TCP optimizer and Zonealarm for a firewall whch helps speed up everything as well..But I guess im never happy with how fast my pc is hahahaha...Steve

7. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I think you're on drugs :banana: . You're downloading at 14Mbits with ZoneAlarm active, complaining about your speed and having this whole topic in AMD forum.
    Good luck.

8. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 260| Core 216
    Why is everyone giving him such a hard time about asking an honest question? I haven't posted in a while but I don't remember these forums as being so hot on answers.

Guess I'm just an old schooler.

9. sinister_steve

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Hi I was just wondering if my dl speeds are so good then why is it that it seems like my phenom is slower than my last cpu amd6000+64xdualcore ? I just figured it would be faster all together not just with multitasking..Steve

10. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    random question but steve did u reinstall windows when u installed your 9850? i find sometimes when u replace a part such as a cpu some program configurations may changed but still not be as effective as if they were installed with the new hardware form the start.

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    K...let me explain it this way:

When you have a single-core processor and access the internet, your CPU does very little in the way of actually getting what's out there up on your monitor...so when you upgrade to a four-core CPU, and have the same internet speeds, it's still not doing anything more than the single core was doing to get that information up on the monitor.

If I were you, I'd format and reinstall Windows from scratch - reinstalling your OS is the only way to *ensure* you don't have a software problem...which you either have, or you think you have - it is not a hardware issue.

Fact of the matter is, your CPU does absolutely *nothing* for internet surfing...it renders the same amount of information that's always been there, and I can guarantee that your four core CPU isn't slower than anything you've had before - so if anything, it's the internet speed itself, or the browser that you use to surf the internet, nothing more.

Like was mentioned before, you should probably try to install Windows completely fresh - this always cures these type of things - besides, if you haven't formatted and installed Windows from a clean slate in about months, it's absolutely FULL of crap left over in the registry that files don't even exist for anymore...

Good luck Bro...

Psychlone

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    True. I don't think I've ever had one copy of windows running for longer than three months.

13. sinister_steve

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Hey there thanks for the posts all..But I have re re installed windows since I got this cpu ,and fully erased partition clean and then installed windows again for I thought I perhaps did a bad install of windows,,but its still the same..So perhaps I just have to much expectation with the phenom when its the internet itself slowing me down..Ok well what do you guys suggest for internet then? I have ultra high speed cable insternet right now..Steve

14. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Alright...I need you to run a bandwidth test from http://www.Speedtest.net (or another internet bandwidth speed test) and post up a screenshot of the speeds.
    Following up with that, I might be able to help you with some registry tweaks that may or may not help your internet speeds. Since you're on XP still, some of these registry tweaks will probably work, but once you go to Vista, you don't have to do the tweaks (XP just seems so archaic when I try to do anything on it anymore)

All in all though, your placing blame on a component that has nothing to do with the equation - the Phenom does nothing for surfing...you've got a monster for transcoding/crunching numbers/gaming, but in the end, an Athlon T-Bird 1700+ (roughly 12 year-old AMD CPU) is just as fast as the Phenom when it comes to the internet.

Here's a screenshot of one I did a short while ago: (warning - the full resolution is 3520 X 1200 - hence the thumbnail!)
    [​IMG]

This shows my download speed at 31,595kbps and upload at 757kbps which equates to almost 4MB per second download speed and three-quarters of a MB of upload speed. (that's a 4MB song in 1 second)
    Whichever place you decide to test from, just please make sure you've snapped a screenie to post here - all the relevant information is usually right there on the page you run the test from.

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php is by far the best one to use - it's easy and you just choose the server that's closest to you no matter where you are...PLUS it automagically gives you the code to include in your post here that shows the screenshot like below:

[​IMG]

Psychlone

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Sadly for me, Comcast has their crappy speed boost that makes all internet speed testers think i have much faster internet then i do have

[​IMG]

When in reality my download speed is 8000kbps down and 768kbps up

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So 20K is just a burst rate? How long does it sustain > 10K before dropping off?
    I'm not too sure about Comcast, but I can check and see (in a virtual machine) if the registry tweaks I had in mind for steve might work for you - again, since you're on XP and haven't done the upgrade to Vista, these registry hacks can sometimes help connection speeds (well, they won't uncap any limits set by your ISP, but they will increase your receive window size, allowing for more information to come in at once - giving the 'appearance' of faster internet speeds)

Anyway, I'm jealous of your upload speed (unless it won't sustain 2K upload for more than a few seconds) - I need that kind of speed *severely* - I VNC as well as use my ADT security and 16 camera system at my restaurant from my house, and when I can only push the information out at <1MB/second from my restaurant, no matter *how* fast I can pull it, watching 16 cams gets pretty choppy, but if I had 2K upload speeds, I'd bet that 30fps wouldn't be a problem for all of them...unfortunately for me, there's no Comcast here - we have a Bresnan cable, but the highest rated speeds I've seen was just over 8K down and 1K up, so it would be a DOWNgrade for me!

Psychlone

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I am on vista actually, Vista Ultimate 64bit, and yeah it's just a burst speed, i'm not actually sure what my sustained speeds are in mbps and kbps, but i do know in MB and KB, my sustained speed down is 1.0MB/s, and my sustained upload is somewhere around 90KB-100KB, to me those seem a bit high considering the internet comcast say they have given me is 8Mbps and 768Kbps

i have seen my burst speed cap at around 4MB/s download, not sure on the upload, i have learned to trick it though :p on any website that allows resuming, i just have my download manager cancel and resume the download all the time once it goes back to 1MB/s, that way i sustain the 3-4MB/s download pretty much, makes big downloads much faster... lol

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, since the registry tweaks actually mess up Vista's scaling, we won't go there, but i will say that FlashGet along with the FlashGot add-on for Firefox is a perfect sustained speed download manager - you can split the file into up to 10 parts and download each one separately or together, and even from different URLs, so effectively, it's tricking Vista into thinking you have 10 open connections to 10 different websites - I max my download speed every time I use it for a program - in fact, I just pulled the Catalyst 8.9 Betas that are 400MB in less than a minute using FlashGet. - But, if you do get it, get the old version (1.74 or something like that) - the new one comes with some adware that you can't opt out of, but the older one has none and is just as good with all the options.

Good luck!

And steve - WHERE ARE YOU?? (waiting to see some speed tests!)

Psychlone

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I actually have Flashgot with Getright installed, does the same thing just i'm more familiar with Getright :p but as you said, multiple connections and even more connections to difference websites, it's nice :)

20. sinister_steve

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Hey sorry Psychlone for the really late reply..Ok so here is the direct link to my speed test result which is pretty bas for some reason ?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/321453411.png