Is my GTX 280 too hot?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by NeriuZ, Sep 3, 2008.

1. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    I recently bought a XFX GTX 280 and working just fine, but im worry a bit about the temp. just browsing the web etc, the normal temp is 50-52c.
    I dont play games so i dont know how hot it will be then. I have tried a stressprogram "Video Card Stability Test"
    then it get up to 101c in 3 minutes with 100% on the fan.

System is nforce 7. Intel Q6600.
    Win xp pro xp3
    Airflow inside case seem fine.
    room temp is around 25.
    drivers: 177.41 WHQL.

Have tried 177.83 whql+,PsysX and seemed work fine exept with those drivers the temp got even higher. around 60-62c just when browsing the web etc. Havent noticed anything weird yet. card seem working fine, it just seems these temps are high compared to others.
    I know if my room temp is lower, like around 20-23 c. then the cards temp lowers as well down to 44-47c.
    Should i RMA it or is these temps ok?

2. Fear_Of_Dreams

Fear_Of_Dreams Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB (capless)

Nah thats a little high but still within threshold of the GPU. I think the threshold for most newer cards are above 120c. Im not 100% sure about the 280, but i would assume it would be within that range as well.

3. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    thats TOO high!

On stockclocks my card is idle at 100% fan 45c and load around 55-60c, overclocked to 715 on the core, around 70c load

4. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Thanks for your reply. I read at nvidias site the Maximum GPU Temperature is 105c for 280.

5. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Looks like you got the faulty one, RMA the card it's overheating.

6. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Really? so whats a good temp for this card?

7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Dude, Just RMA the thing. Yes, the card can operate up to something like 105C for day to day activities. However, you're seeing 101 after 3 minutes at 100% fan use. You should be seeing temperatures significantly lower than that, at significantly slower fan speeds.

Just RMA it, the cooler isn't attached properly

8. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Dude, i meant the fan is getting at 100% when stresstesting it in videocard stability test" in 3 min test as it do. then it reach 101c.
    Under normal use its "idles" at 50-52 and fan is only at 30-40 %.
    As soon as i can get a straight answer from XFX tech support i'll RMA it if they also think so.

thanks for the replies.

9. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    First time I used mine after installing it the temp climbed to 100c within a minute while running the crysis benchmark, needless to say I shut it down & took the card out & it did feel very warm to the touch! Anyway I connected it back up, decided to re-install vista at this point & then I ran the benchmark again after getting all the drivers back on & it didn't climb above 80.

It's almost like the thermal compound needed to go through one thermal cycle before it worked properly. Am still using the same card, never bothered to rma it & it's working fine, even overclocked to 700/1404/1260

10. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Ok thats interesting. Prolly the thermal cycle as you say. Its like that with Artic silver 5 it is said. Just now by opening my window in my room the GPU temp dropped to 49c. Hmm fishy. Roomtemp now 23c.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I had the exact same thing happen with 2 gtx 280 cards (including this), stress testing and then leaving it overnight helped the temps settle down.

12. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    What ever you do don't RMA it untill it die or won't work right i won't use those warranty so soon.

13. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Ok, yes well i guess i'll wait a while and see how it goes. Maybe i just have bad airflow in the case or just a bit hot in the room, or both.

14. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I know what you meant. After 3 minutes of stressing it, your fan speed jumped to 100% and your temps are at 101.

Unless your room temperature is like 50C, you shouldn't be at 101C at 100% fan speed.

I don't even want to imagine what that sounds like.

You either have to reseat the cooler yourself, or RMA it, it's as simple as that.

15. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    the only thing i can think of is that it takes alot of heat for the Auto fan to switch to 100%.. i run my manual @ 70% and it doesnt top 70C.. if it isnt manual i would try that

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

How about using the search function? this same question's been asked enough times already.

17. NeriuZ

NeriuZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 GTX
    Wow how informative! How about you dont reply if you dont have any information to say.
    I've seached but most come up with people who have O.C.
    I haven't overclocked.

18. Roft

Roft Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! GTX 480
    I have excellent air flow in my case, Lian Li PC-V1000 (3 years old now), along with some fan mods I've done. I have external cool air that flows directly to the GTX 280. At load my GTX 280 hits 65C. Burn-in tests get my card as high as 70C.

My CPU cooled on air hits a max of 58 with burn-in.

I suspect your card has either 1 or 2 of 3 problems. 1. Your motherboard's north bridge is extremely close to your GFX card and heating up your card. 2. Poor airflow in your case. 3. Bad card. It could be a combo of 1 and 2; or simply just 3.

Have you tried pulling the side off your case and putting a house fan blowing into the case? If your card still heats up, then its more than likely a bad card.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Without trying to be rude you should try searching more carefully because it will be to everyone's benefit if the space on these servers is not unnecessarily wasted for matters already thoroughly discussed.

In anycase you'll just get the majority of people saying it's faulty and you should rma when there is probably nothing wrong with it; leading to you being out of pocket.

Here's a couple of threads I found.

GTX 280 Overheating - advice and testing please!

GTX 280 overheating? - possible PCI slot fan?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  20. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Yeah same here, idle 50 - 55C , load 65 +/-, max 70C.

:biggun: