Kojima: "Stop asking about MGS4 for Xbox 360"

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by TirolokoRD, Aug 27, 2008.

1. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Storage...? ps3 is much more powerfull machine then x 360... and even on ps3 game has some fps drops in heavy action scenes with explosions ... so no way it would work on x 360 with this level of quality... on 1080p.... and koijma was even dissapointed in ps3... and why he couldnt make the game with double the current quality and on 100 GB... + Kojima has its own reasons why to keep it playstations exclusive... and the game is owned by Kojima Entertainment not by Konami... they are only a pubilsher... and only Kojima can decide what to do...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    PS3 may be a more powerful machine on the paper but so far i havent seen anything truly stunning ( technically ) appear on the console after having played plenty of PS3 games, note that im not saying the PS3 is a crap console and performs poorly, im simply saying that the real world performance isnt far ahead ( or behind ) from the 360, however there are some games on the horizon that may show some true advancements and in the case of MGS4, cutting corners in the right places and in the right creative hands it could probably be ported to the 360 but its something i obviously cant say for sure since i havent researched the technology or worked with the game. I may easily be wrong but just as easily i might be right and the game will eventually be ported over to the 360.

Why would Kojima have his own reasons to keep it a PS3 exclusive though ? Surely as an "artist" he would want as many people as possible to experience the game, hell the man even says it himself:

And as for Kojima Productions owning the game... Kojima Productions is a fusion of a few Konami's departments and is owned by Konami. Metal Gear Solid and Guns of the Patriots are registered trademarks of Konami.

3. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Actually, being a good "artist" is LIMITING the amount of work that gets around, so it is worth more.

E.g photographers make limited edition prints (e.g only 30 prints of a single photograph), therefore raising the value and if the work is good, their reputation.

You dont see Van Gogh making 1000 copies of his paintings and selling them off to everyone?

In this case, Kojima created the game FOR THE PS3. That way he limited the number of people that are able to experience the game, however by doing so also made it possible to increase the quality of the game (better sound, more space for textures, taking advantage of the CELL, etc etc). By porting the game to 360 or indeed any other console he would have COMPROMISED the quality of the game (compressing textures, high quality sound, less cutscenes, etc etc).

As an artist, he chose quality over quantity.

Just a thought :)

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'd rather have quality though. Because lets say Kojima released MSG4 for PC, 360, and PS3 alike, just because it's crossplatform is enough to cause problems, or quality differences, which I think is ****ty. If the console has the potential to run the game great, then why does is run better on another console? Like Madden 08 or 07 I believe runs 60 fps on the 360, but only 30 fps on the PS3. Which is a bad deal. I can understand this if it were the 360 and wii being compared, but come on now. The PS3 can put out as good quality as the 360 can, if not better.

5. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Madden is made by EA.

EA are lazy devs (hence not being optimized for PS3). They made it for 360 and ported it REALLY badly to ps3.

It has nothing to do with ps3 being "not powerful enough" to run a crappy game like madden..

6. tobiasboon

tobiasboon Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS 320
    Iirc EA released a statement not long ago that now they have a handle on how to dev and code for the PS3 they are expecting parity between the 360 and PS3 version of the games they code in house, ie. the FIFA's and Madden's etc of this world basically.

As for MGS4 on the 360, a close approximation is certainly possible, especially with the autumn update adding the install option to any game which would avoid at least some disk swapping, but Kojima is a strange one, he doesn't like compromise as far as his vision of how a game should be is concerned. Bit of a shame as I know a lot of 360 only owners that would certainly grab a copy and immensely enjoy it if it was ever released but as has been mentioned, Sony need to keep a few exclusives where they can.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    There is nothing in the actual game play graphically that the 360 could not do, but i cant see how they could hope to fit all those in-game movies and cut scenes on to a DVD9, it certainly looks like the cutscenes and endless reams of in-game movies are really what make this game a exclusive simply due to just how many and how long most of them are.

8. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Yeah, i heard that EA are trying to change and code better, this is promissing!!

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's still a ****ty deal. Like I said, the PS3 can do as much as the 360, if not better. So there should be no reason ANY multiplatform game no matter how much you like it or not, should run at 30 fps on the ps3, but 60 fps on the 360.

10. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    No, you still didnt get my point.

If you code the game badly, even on a super high-end console it would run choppy. Lets take crysis for example. Bad coding = bad performance.

EA didn't code the game properly because it takes more time and expertese for PS3 version, hence why it was running so slow. It has nothing to do with "power" of the PS3, because that game (madden, + other EA titles) is nowhere near the graphical quality compared to e.g GT5 which runs at 60fps @ 1080p. Obviously, the console HAS the potential for amazing looking games if coded properly.

So, to conclude, the reason why Madden was running badly on the PS3 because EA were lazy and made a bad port. That is the reason.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I know, I'm agreeing with that. What I'm saying, is that's not how it should be. PC versus a console like the 360 or ps3, I can understand the visual and performance difference, but not 360 and PS3.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Me: Kojima, Will there be a MGS4 for Xbox360?
    Kojima: Stop asking about MGS4 for Xbox360!
    Me: Are we alone in the universe?
    Kojima: Stop asking about Universe for Xbox360!
    Me: WTF?!

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

Unfortunately lazy Dev's and greedy publisher are not the sole province of just the PC, although add to that mix the new big beasie that is the PS3 cell, I'm sure that did not help when they were trying to do ports from the 360 to the PS3 seeing as the systems are so different.

14. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Indeed...

They should really develop on PS3 first, and then port to 360. It has been proven to work much better (both versions that is!).

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^No doubt that would have been the ideal solution, but then you hit that same wall of Lazy Dev's and greedy publishers who will just pick the cheapest and easiest option to develop on, then hastily through something together on other platforms in the hope that it sells well...............although i will say that the PS3 games of late have really been up to scratch when comparing to their counterparts, and with time PS3 games will improve vastly once everybody gets to grips with the cell.

I mean i was never a big fan of the G turismo franchise but i have been blown away by how good GT5p looks. and plays.......who would have thought.

16. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Yeah, GT5p is a great game, but the full version will be just amazing. Now there isnt as much "replay value"... I remember on GT4 i must have spent around 500 hours just on Nurburgring alone, not counting trophy cups etc.

If there was Nurburgring on prologue, i wouldnt play any other game :D

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeah i was really impressed to see a actual native 1080p game on my TV, absolutely stunning, i hope the full game has more animated environments(i would love to see that ferris wheel turning), and maybe some car damages, some weather and some day and night cycles.......I know am asking a lot but with that big blue ray sitting there space wont be a issue.

I have really taken to the PS3 in a big way, it has come a long way since i bought it way last year, don't get me wrong i loved the 360 but now that i have experienced the same level of online service for free which i was paying for over XBlive, have installed my own 320gig HD which was ONLY £55, and i have sitting on that very 320gig hard drive some 20 HD 5gig movies that my brother ripped from his collections of HD-DVD movies.....i mean sitting here watching T3 and then The Thing in HD from the PS3 HD......what a ****ing machine(Pardon my language).

I am truly gobsmacked at just how versatile and just plain brilliant the machine is...:bigsmile:

18. tobiasboon

tobiasboon Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS 320
    According to the people in the know (or what I can gather from the upscaling thread at Beyond 3D ;)), GT5P actually runs in game at 1280x1080 w/ 2x MSAA (when in "1080p" mode so there is obviously some funny scaling going on) so not quite true 1080p but still pretty amazing at 60fps. Apparently the showroom mode and menu screens run in full 1080p with no antialiasing however.

And yeah totally agree with you, the PS3 is a sweet media centre, I'm using TVersity to stream ripped HD vob files and it works great although I am certainly tempted by a bigger HDD on the console itself and copying the movies over since you get the nice preview icons when they're stored locally. :)

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Oh you need to get a bigger HD, i mean £55 will get you a 320gig HD, and you can just stream all those 4 gig plus plus movies straight onto the HD, takes me about 5 Min's to stream a movie with tversity thats just under 5gig with a wired connection.

Brilliant.

20. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    statements of a real fan