Would Pirates Have Bought Crysis ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 29, 2008.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    piracy used to be very much underground, most gamers downloaded Demo's to test out a game. and a few file sharing sites here n there kept it just for those who hunted hard enough. when Napster became popular, other fileshareing utilities did so as well. this was the start however it was the torrents became popular so quick and publishers became worried. much corporate talk was going on for months hunting solutions.

this is when several more companies emerged to offer copy protection software and marketed it to game companies...hook line and sinker.

piracy skyrocketed after bitorrent. the dropping of game support has always been as far as i can remember. i recall how buggy Omikron was and no patch ever rleased.

now there are so many different type of piraters each with an excuse, game companies now either stay away or pack in more tough DRM with activations
    now its a circle jerk, both parties bending over for a turn

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I want to add one important thing.
    I just lounched Crysis fully patched.

1280x1024 Very High 4x AA, I get 20-35FPS on NEXT gen card that wasnt even available when they made this game...

1280x1024 High DX9 without AA, i can call it smooth 35-60 FPS most of the time. But on hardware that was released year after ( i dont want to use word invented :D).

Soo basicaly game isnt playable yet on high end rig..... WELL DONE.

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    and don't forget EMULE and EDONKEY which is nearly as popular if not more than Bittorrent, the reason why users now are moving to torrents is because of the download speed and wider catalog of illegal materials, you can max out your speed in BT while on Emule the speed varies a lot and never really sustained as your upload speed gets floored.

actually it is, i'm hitting 45-60fps constantly except maybe during big explosions the framerate takes a nose dive down to 28-30fps and even then i had nearly 0 lag, playing @ 1440x900 4X AA and everything set to High (winxp 64bit btw).

edit: noticed you've got a non-X2 card :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. Shex

Shex Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    I find the Crytek: Crysis developers really selfish, there dwelling on the fact people who pirated the game would of gone out and bought the game, so their thinking they are missing out on a lot of money lol ? I don't understand why they are complaining when Crysis was profitable in the end otherwise they would not think about releasing "Warhead".

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You said it yourself, HIGH , try Very High and 45-60 will become 25-45 which isnt well playable , playable i consider 50-60FPS ALL The time, i dont care what happens on the screen. In GRID I am hiting 120FPS with 8XAA and it doesnt matter how many cars there is on the screen tbh.

And for the sake of justice

Settings :

16x AF 4x AA 1280x1024 Very High , + FPS boost config else it would be lower

27, ****ing FPS, nothing else to add, crapy engine doesnt deserve my understanding.

[​IMG]

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG]

7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I think the simple fact is that downloading games can be fine in a strictly logical sense. Morally? Of course not. As I said, I download games to see if they're good, demos just never tell you much. If it's good, I'll buy it. if it isn't, I delete it. Like a test drive. If you go to a car dealership, you don't test drive some stripped down version of the car you want, you get the whole thing. I think the same applies to games. There's no rental aspect, few ways to dump a PC game as used, so if you buy it and it's bad, or you don't like it, you're stuck with it.

But what makes that idea work is that if you like it, you buy it. You can't just keep it on your hard drive and play it because it's free. If that keeps happening, there won't be anymore PC games to download. The companies have to get their money somehow. People like the serbian guy, his type is what compounds the problem. He somehow thinks he's entitled to other people's work, just because it's cheaper. But that's simply now how it works.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Crap is crap. Cryengine and Crysis ( not the gameplay, i liked it :)), is definition of FAIL

Maybe we should me a image of fail something like

20FPS, Next generation hardware, it must be ..

Crysis.

Epic fail...

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Crappy engine?

[sarcasm][*]Yeah right.[/sarcasm]

TBH, crysis is a bit like concorde (take this as a analogy) its technology in practice thats a bit a head of its time. That paired with crytek claiming it runs at high on a 7800GTX didnt help.

10. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Everytime these developers cry it makes me laugh.

11. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Timeshift is a better looking game. Have you seen the textures on that game?? wow. Timeshift was one of the most underrated games ever.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, timeshift doesn't look anywhere near as good as crysis, and I hated crysis.

You're an idiot.

Who is John Galt? I mean seriously. It's one thing to pirate a game and man up to it, it's another to justify it by the developers profit margin.

They are releasing warhead to recover lost costs in the development process. That's how game development works when working with a new engine. You build an engine, lose lots of money, make up the development costs with the initial game, make a sequel or another on the engine and profit.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    lol it's his opinion, he's entitled to it no reason to bash him just because we do not agree eh? :)

btw i'm replaying Crysis again and i can safely say that with my current rig it's turning out to be a much better experience and i'm appreciating the game much more now, my biggest beef wasn't the performance to be honest as it was not too bad but the fact that i could not run Crysis with AA and unfortunately the game without AA just looks sad, too much jaggies compared to many other games and some of the textures looked plain ugly at times, now however with 4X AA it looks good and with the hardware it's also playable.

theres a say "old chicken, better soup", in the sense that Crysis gets better with time just as Aircool said, it's an investment, unfortunately the initial experience was more or less ruined for many people and the sour taste remained, one day they'll rediscover the game and surely will appreciate it a lot more. ;)

now, would pirates have bought Crysis?

the answer is not an easy one but i reckon it was far from being a commercial disaster do to piracy.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    show of hands

how many people here said it was crap?

did you pirate the full version?...if its crap,then why are you all playing it past the first level? half of you guys still play it from time to time apparantly cause i keep seeing screenshots of it in the screenshot thread from a couple of you, and a couple more i noticed has made a number of threads insinuating youve been playing it.
    and i'd bet some cash most of you played more than halfway through the game...thats a sale if you ask me cause your being entertained for how many hours?

cant be that crappy then. either way, its still an excuse. the free downloadable demo would have told you guys if engine was crap or not and would have taken a fraction of the time to download.

some of you just want to have your cake and eat it too

so you went ahead and played it to show a screenshot
    so it does deserve that much then...lol

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Please.

I wouldn't even pirate Crysis. Not worth it. Personally, I feel it's just one of the worst games out there. But you can't figure out a game by just one level, I got about through halfway through the game before saying I'm done with this crap. You can like the game all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that Crysis support wasn't as high as it could be. Which, for games like Crysis that is made to amaze people, it needs to have support to even survive. Crysis is one of the best looking games out there imo, but plays so damn terrible. And then, I just still giggle at the excuse for the engines, well the games performance on current hardware. "Made for Future hardware." That's a ****ty deal right there.

I wouldn't say Timeshift looks better, but it is a highly underrated game.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    many said it was crap and many said it was good, except as always the bad seem to cover the good and make the good appear as bad (get what i mean?) lol

as for Kupa, comparing Crysis 2 Grid was the worst thing he could ever do, Grid isn't simulating an entire island where everything is living and breathing but just a track and its surrounding albeit of high quality indeed, performance alone is no reason to stop playing a game, if you really don't like the game per se then just stop playing. right? but not he's still playing it :D

i remember Hidden&Dangerous 1 it was very buggy and there was one mission (last one) where a lot of tanks and soldiers were spawning all over the place and i swear to you the framerate was reduced to single digits of 1 or 2fps (not far off 3Dmark06 cpu test 2) where every 5 seconds the scenery would resume for 1 sec and then pauses *repeat*.....YES i've completed the game regardless, why? because i liked the game and could care less about the performance, people should try to understand that bad performance don't make a bad game, bad graphics too don't make a bad game either, one proof being the game BOILING POINT which is one of my fave fps of all time the strenght was all in the gameplay admitted the AI was crap and the graphics below average and the animations gob$hite but again i've completed it and loved every second of it because it also contained every bug ever conceived in the history of gaming into the package it was almost a value added gift that i surely appreciated hahaha

Kupa considers 50-60fps optimal forgetting that a properly developed engine will easily provide smooth gameplay at 30fps, just look at the GL version of Quake2 on Voodoo2 hardware lol it was smooth as butter...3dfx advertising "play @ smooth 30 fps your games in 3D" :D
    in the past there was an effort when developing engines and drivers because 3D was an all new technology, now it became a standard and developers of engines and drivers became sloppy and careless looking for the fast buck instead by advertising their products and providing sad support, also great games has been turned into a terribly unoptimized and buggy affair, who's fault is that? part developers, part ours, we're asking them to push the boundaries beyond the possible and in order to please the crowd and stay in the "game" they've concentrated on flashy graphics and threw the most basics of things out of the window and now we're complaining.

"You wanted the bicycle? well now cycle!"

edit: sorry for the longish post, think i'm done for today lol :givebeer:

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Except, the demo wasn't a good representation of the game at all. Neither was the performance, a performance of a demo should be slower than the full game considering the optimizations that should occur with patches. Yet it performed worse. This game was incredibly hyped as the savior of PC gaming, for how good it ran (on a 7800GTX) and how it looked. It failed in many respects. It was also far more linear than they protrayed it to be.

When you hype a game that much, and make it run so poorly, you are asking for people to not only not buy it (because of how bad it will run on 95% of the systems) but also all the people to download it and try it.

Despite what they complain, they still sold 1 million copies I think in the first month, and 3 million total up until recently. And they claim they have X amount of people pirating the games simply by how many people are downloading the patch. And that is total BS of a way to find out those numbers.

The fact of the matter is that MS actually started this whole 'PC is dying myth' despite the fact it hurts their PC gaming revenue, it helps their Xbox revenue. EA perpetrates this myth so they can push console sales that have higher volumes and less development time.

Valve and Blizzard show there is nothing wrong with the PC platform, in fact even the sales of EA's own PC games shows there is nothing wrong with the PC platform. This is reinforced even more with market penetration of cheaper and extremely valuable cards like the 4850 or the price drops of the 9800GTX cards. This puts an extreme amount of performance for todays games in the hands of mainstream computer owners. Not only does this increase the number of users on the PC platform, but it increases the value of PC gaming because the quality can exceed that of the console.

Any failure of Crysis or EA titles has to do with failed business models, and especially with Crysis the limited audience because of a poorly performing game. They blame and stretch or make up the truth in order to remove the responsiblity in the eyes of their shareholders.

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I bought the game to only play it and get annoyed but continued and finished it and uninstalled asap when defeating last boss... never even tried MP

Never tried a demo Bandwidth Limits up in NT too low so gotta plan ur daily usage

19. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    I can see alot of people are in denial. How is freely downloading someone's work justified, especially if it's effectively enterained you for # of hours? If you went to eat at a restaraunt, and the food wasn't to your expectations, do you dine and dash? Or if the car you are test driving needs work or isn't good enough to your standards, do you drive off with it?

I don't get it. Is this the moral of people these days? Or are they just too sissy to admit it that it's wrong when deep down they know technically they stole someone's work?

I guess it bothers me to see sooo many posts with people trying not only to disguise it and try to call what they did something else, but to go as far as trying to justify what they did by coming up with "logical reasons" why it was okay to do so. I'm bothered to see that many of ya do not see the moral complications regarding the matter.

If you know you downloaded the *item* without paying the creators for it, atleast admit what you did was stealing, hence wrong - without "buts & ands'" and admit you did it because you don't care what you were doing is considered stealing, or that you're simply a sh!**y person.

Hey, I admit I initially downloaded it. Why? Because, being the graphics whore I am, I knew for sure I was going to buy it, but couldn't get a ride out to the store for a week. So until then, I played the downloaded version. Did I steal it? No. Four days later I went to the store and payed for a copy. Was there even an intent of playing the game without having to pay them for their hard work, regardless of what my expectations were? No, not at all.

Sure, I was let down on how crappy it ran. But it sure did look good. So good that I immediately understood why it ran so poorly. Could have polished it up a little more, but come on guys. Do you really not see the complexity of the graphics used? The water, the sky, the foliage, etc...
    Remember when Oblivion first came out? Was it playable MAX settings on the current hardware of the time? No. If I remember it wasn't "perfectly" playable for while. Crysis is just like that but on a bigger scale, no? Is it right to steal Oblivion because of that? I think not.

20. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)

By your moral standards, you stole the game. You can't 'steal' something (as you have defined what is stealing) with the intent of paying for it later. If it is stealing (your defination) to download something without paying for it, it doesn't matter if you buy it later. It is like embezzlement, even if you 'put the money back' you still embezzled the money.

The reason some people have no moral qualms about downloading software has to do with the idea of intellectual property and copyright laws/restrictions.