Would Pirates Have Bought Crysis ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 29, 2008.

1. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    same here

i dl a cracked copy to see if it it was good and then buy as i do with most new games been stung before played up to 3rd mission an never boverd wit it use it as a bench mark and thats it glad i never bought it i did buy far cry tho and i did/do like that game tho

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    so true

most people with consols i know have hardly ANY gen copys 1 or 2 .... to 20+ copied games but m8s wit pc have mostly gen copy but prolly had a cracked version wen it first came out and then bought it lol

3. linson

linson Member Guru

GPU:
    PC 5850 + LG 32LH70YR
    CrySis....

I have 1 question,

What system do developers use to make this game run FLAT at 60FPS.

Because, even with MS-FSX.... It could barely get 30FPS on FULL SETTING.

4. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    Indeed.

I have every intention of buying the game when i have a computer that will play it without juddering it's way through the nice bits.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

When such games are developed the expected earnings are based on a forecast which only comprises of people who can afford to buy the game, 9 out of 10 who can afford to buy the game will gladly support a developer who they believe deserves their cash.

Crytek are just moaning because they rushed a game that they thought would sell on hype alone, unfortunately for them it didn't, I'm not trying to take anything away from crytek as they did a great job with cutting edge and breathtaking graphics.

But it seems that alone does not sell games or not as many as crytek would like, in any case this point resonates when looking at games like call of duty 4.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  6. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    [​IMG]

first of all the statement in yellow simply isn't possible with your set up.

Secondly between the red stars you deserve contempt for your attitude.

7. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    First I would like to say welcome to the community and second, I didn't know it was that big of a headach to get that game from direct download.

8. sunkid

sunkid Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
    Hehe, my dear pal, who says I am not accepting it? You should have figured that out by reading my previous post again that I consider this "cycle" as normal.

Ofc this doesn't mean that I agree with some marketing moves that some devs or publishers do, but it won't change much, isn't it.

But still, in the end, the good thing about all this is that it is ME the one who decides if I upgrade, if I buy or if I'll play a certain game.

:)

P.S.

Oh, and quad core CPU's might be cheap(er in your country) but I can't say the same thing about mine. I also should add that the quad-core CPU is yet to be needed in gaming. So, unless you are a hardware passionate, investing too much in it is clearly pretty useless atm.

9. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I pirated Crysis. I have a lot of games on my shelf, new and old, and Crysis isn't one of them. Why? It isn't worth 20, 30, 40, 50 dollars. However much you can find it for. There's zero replay value, story is mediocre, mechanics of the game itself are mediocre. Honestly, everything but the graphics are mediocre. There's no support, patch-wise, for the game. They didn't even release a 1.3 patch because they're all so indignant about "piracy" taking their sales. I also liked the earlier comment about Crysis being an expensive "tech-demo" I think that really paints a picture.

What took their sales are mediocre reviews for a mediocre game. Piracy isn't and doesn't take away a significant number of sales from the PC gaming industry. Music? Yes it did, but that was different. For music it wasn't the price that was the problem, it was the ease of delivery and the selection that people wanted. For PC games, people want decent games before they buy. I downloaded Command and Conquer 3 first, I've been a long time fan, and I liked the new one. Now it's on my shelf. Same goes for Hellgate London, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dawn of War, Battle for middle Earth, UT3, the list goes on and on. I've spent quite a few dollars on games, but I've also downloaded my share too.

Basically, it comes down to a personal decision. If I feel that they deserve something for putting out a game and doing it right, then I give it to them.

I wouldn't go in a store, look at and try out a chair, find it dreadfully uncomfortable, and then take it tot he register and buy it, that doesn't make sense.

10. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    QFT! These developers are out of their damn mind. We get stuck with crap ass games that won't play and they get our money with no way for us to get it back. I got the Witcher and Oblivion both of which won't play on my two machines. I am out of $90 and what do I have to show for it, some pretty box art. I am against stealing someones games but I am also against them taking are money with games that didn't have a demo when launched or never did. Sometimes I wish I did pirate games before buying them just to save some money in the long run. The freaking PC is different than a console when will they get that through their thick heads. The best approach to take is an subscription model of like $30-$50 a month and we get to play all of the games in the library instead of this make a game on a god awful high budget than release it late with bad support :bang:!

11. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    to sum it up: Crytek has no forums, thus no area for user input. Essentially they don't care about the gamers. Yeah, like anybody would feel sympathy for them..

12. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I remember when it first came out I got flamed for saying I didn't like it...

It's not bad but the target audience is extreme PC gamers and that group is generally small. I thought there would be more support for it too but I suppose I was mistaken.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    if they want to make claims regarding the patch they need to factor in IP's Unique then lets see how many people really downloaded the patch I wish they would backup they're claims (true to some extent but we want real numbers)

14. neurokrem-rs

neurokrem-rs Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800 now "Ultra"
    Dear JIMLAAD, in order to answer you first statement i must pay attention to the second:First:Unlike you who probablly got to live in one of the "developed" western countries i live in Serbia as you undoubteblly read in my profile.Average salary here is about 200e which allows average Serbian gamer to buy 4-5 original games a month(provided that he has some other way of income,or else he would starve till next salary)
    Second:Serbian people(gamers likewise)being naturally adoptable developed an industry of piracy and you can get games for as much as 2-5euros all over town.In such circumstances its just plain dumb to buy original.
    Third and final(also a response to your first statement):I had to save money for at least 2 years in order to buy this rig.And it may not be anything special to you but for me its the BEST GOD DAMN RIG IN A WHOLE WORLD!!!And yes everything was maxed up in Crysis.I have cheap PHILIPS 19" monitor and 1440x900 doesnt consume much of the GPU strength!
    And before i go i must ask you one question:
    Do you think you are better than me just because you have the money to buy good hardware and original games?

I love my piracy copies, i love my rig and i LOVE MY POOR COUNTRY SERBIA BECAUSE IT HAS A HEART AS BIG AS A WORLD!!!AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE THAT!!!
    So my drear friend JIMLAAD you can just go and crawl under a rock!!!

15. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Nice to see other gamers from other parts of the world. I never new it was that dire there.

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Seriously, just tone down the res and the graphics options.. It still looks fantastic!
    I can make this game run great...

Really the minimum specs can run this game on low quality low res...

Also a 7800gtx can run this game easily on high settings 1024x768... They didn't lie you know... You guys all expect it to run great on uber high resolutions with uber high AA and stuff...
    Remember the playstation plays most games at 720p, which is only 1280x720... Really, you guys should try playing on that res without AA and be suprised how well it runs.

Everyone makes it run bad with their extreme configs and high resolutions and then the whining starts

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Google: Serbia 1999

18. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    OMG!!! I actually agree with something Blue said.! That's a first, but there is a first time for everything right?

I'm gonna say this. I just started playing a new free online FPS called Combat Arms a few days ago. It's graphics are not next gen, it's free, it's made by Nexon of all people, it doesn't have voice, it's a re-hash of the same old Counter Strike idea & you know what? I've logged more hours playing that then I did playing Crysis single player & online in the last 6 months (Crysis runs like a dream on my comp btw). Why? Because there are active players, the community is great, the game is actually fun even with the lack of a story mode, it has decent FPS physics & did I mention it's fun? Crysis was meh. It wasn't fun. Obvious lack of support, but we knew that right out of the gate. And then you have the devs/publisher turn around and blame the gamers for their so so game. I bet in a years time Combat Arms will have more players playing their free game then Crysis will ever get selling anything they make.

When FREE games that cost very little to make start whooping your lame ass game's rear end, you'd better start making better games.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  19. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    jimlad, don't be harsh on the man for pirating games, what's the big deal? i did not bough an original game since 2004 (hl2 and css) the only exception was TF2 last year. do people care what i do? well im not in jail now, so i guess not

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    opinions are one thing. lets try some facts.

pirates will always have excuses to justify their actions. its a gurantee no matter what.
    exuses can range from...."wah, i'm poor", "its a crap game" all the way to "my disk got scratched"

companies will always be in the business of being in business.
    this natural world trade phenomenon results in " wah, we have employees, license fees and hardware to pay for", "we risk bankruptcy on every game we develop" all the way to "our boss wants to eat a T-bone steak while driving his ferrari"

what does piraters and companies have in common? selfish greed

the also both make it rough on each other.
    pirater doesnt pay, company tries to make it harder to pirate, pirater doesnt like that so they pirate more...and the cycle goes on an evolutionary scale....possibly till it evolves in both consumers and companies turning towards consoles in which companies still make money despite piraters due to larger userbase and gamers dont deal with DRM issues and hassles and can save money buy renting games...its a reverse evolution perhaps

so whats the moral of the story? you guys keep screwing yourselves up the rear.