BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX review Guru3D

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

OCX is short for 'Overclocking eXtreme' and it literally boils down to the fact that this is BFG's most high-end specced product in whatever the product range might be. Today we take the fastest NVIDIA...

More...

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I understand that you wanted to test single GPU solutions against each other and that if I want to know how the X2 performs I can look at that review. However, I think you should compare cards at/near the same price range. As long as you had a card to test against, I think the X2 should have been included. 450 vs 550 in price is closer than 450 vs 250. Any inherent strengths or weakness would be visible by including the 4870 along with the X2.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this article we looked at Single GPU performance for a change because it is quite important we put the focus on that as well. Though it has improved a lot lately, multi-gpu gaming is not a solution for high-end gaming on the long term.

Check other articles for other comparisons, we have plenty of them.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    to quote myself.

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Good article, Hilbert.

Question: Will you be updating the VGA charts with the last couple of reviews you did? Would be cool to see this 280OCX, the 4870X2 and that other lower end nVidia card in there.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I will do so soon yes. But the past weeks have been absolutely crazy with all launches and press-conferences, have not had the time just yet. This by far was the most busy summer I've ever had, I actually cancelled my August vacation due to all that hectic.

But I already started adding the latstest cards here internally, so it will be done soon.

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I forgot to ask was there any additional overclocking head room vs the standard GTX 280?

8. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    A nice read, thanks mate :)

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Dude, that sucks.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sure, but very little, like 5% .. but at such temps I just can not recommend overclocking any higher really. I would recommend looking at water-cooled editions if you need to go any higher.

Which we have a review for in the pipeline as well, the eVGA GTX 280 actually.

11. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    That sounds interesting :nerd:.

Always been interested in Watercooling, but i have never got round to doing it... the temps decrease by alot?

Chris.

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Bring it on!

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Obviously that depends on your water-cooling solution, but on an average water-cooling setup the results are often extremely good.

Example, right now I'm working on a SLI Water-cooling review based on two 9800 GTX+ cards (ECS Hydra). A complete kit with water-cooling (pump+blocks+tubing+reservoir/radiator). Both cards can be OCed insane and temps do not pass 50ish C degrees C at 100% GPU load.

But I am a H20 fan really ... I like silence and nice temps.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    It will be a good read, however I am somewhat skeptical of custom watercoolers that come with the full kit (like the Toxic cards). They come preinstalled and cool the card better standard air, but damn do you have to pay through the nose for it. Is the EVGA card a whole kit, or is it just have waterblocked installed?

15. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Yeah i have seen many good results in watercooling, but was unsure how big the decrease could acturally be, and you getting 50c on full 100% GPU load on an SLI setup, says it all really.

I might invest in a watercooling setup, could you recommend some brands or products that i should look out for?

Thanks,

Chris.

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Good review.. The 55nm builds are coming out soon so although I was waiting on this card I think I'll wait a bit more.

17. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    ??

i dont want be nasty but explain me some body how u put on evga 680i sli
    ddr3 1333Mh memory??
    "ow we begin the benchmark portion of this article, but first let me show you our test system plus the software we used.

Mainboard

nForce 680i SLI eVGA

Processor

Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor @ 3.0 GHz (FSB 1333)

Graphics Cards

Various Radeon HD 4800 series
    Various GeForce 8 and 9 series

Memory

2048 MB (2x1024MB) DDR3 1333 MHz Corsair

Power Supply Unit

BFG ES 800 Watt"

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I think in the future for any reviews of a overclocked version of a card, I'd like to see the reference and other versions of the card from the same manufacture in the graphs and tests. Such as BFG 280GTX and the OC up against the OCX for example. Just a idea so don't shot me over it :)

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    That's probably due to some information being copy/pasted from other reviews, I guess that little detail was overlooked :)

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Woops, must have slipped by me. Fixed.