This truely sucks.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MetalFox, Aug 27, 2008.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    AMD's definition of ANY application means any game. Not ANY stupid torture app.
    If anyone can show me any kind of actual game that stresses graphic card as much as FurMark i'll buy him a cookie. Hell whole bag of them. 500 kilo one...

Oh and just for info. My card cannot withstand FurMark properly either and i'm using aftermarket cooling, Zalman VF-900. It's not on the level of Accelero but still far superior to stock cooling. Should i complain to Zalman because they have crappy coolers? No, because there is not a single game that VF-900 cannot handle.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think that's actually a fine reason for RMA'ing the card since it is actually broken. Just imagine any software that would make similar load on GPU and the card would be useless.

3. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    There, fixed it for ya. ;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    IF the cookie would be a monster the IF would eat the cookie. IF IF IF IF.
    Show me such application (thats not called FurMark) and i'll believe you guys...
    If Crysis cannot put more load on GPU than FurMark, then what will?

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I don't understand how there's so many people in this one thread (so far, with the exception of 3 people 'in the know') - that no one here has heard of renaming the executable file to something recognized by the drivers as crossfire enabled.

Unbelievable how something as insignificant as this, and a little misinformation in the form of a 'web review' with 'astonishing results' - and how many people just jump the gun and believe anything that they read.

We've been renaming .exe files for YEARS - even the green side does it to enable SLI on programs that aren't coded for it...this isn't new, this isn't a conspiracy.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll never trust a site that bases it's 'knowledge' on things that they don't understand, especially when they say it with such conviction that people believe what they're saying because it sounds and looks 'official'...and the comments below on that site are just as amusing...apparently everyone on the planet but a select few were left out of the loop about renaming .exe files.

As for the cooling on the cards, while I agree that it could have been done better (and anyone that's ever owned an HiS IceQ of any version would know how a HS/f assembly should be made) - ATi has made this cooling system to do what it needs to do...I don't have to agree with ATi on their choices (hence my thread on replacing the thermal paste and Profiles tweaking) - but the fact remains that no single game is going to break your new card with the reference cooling.

Wow...I wish that people could just be more open minded about things rather than thinking someone is out to get them (or in this case, burn their cards) - get real...

Psychlone

I've got to add one of my most famous signatures that I've used for many, many years - just for this thread:

Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing...

6. sutyi

sutyi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 OC 2GB
    Actually u can cook almost any card with FurMark regardless of brand or manufacturer.

It's been there for looking artifacts and rendering problems with OC clocks. Altough some people run it for hours.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Quoted for the truth. Unnessesary drama ...

About stock profile and stock settings ( which is 23% with some jumps to 100% ), you wont burn your card but , in my situation ( closed case ), card reaches 105C on Core, GPUZ 0.2.7 shows 118C on Memmory , then i got driver crash under vista ( stoped responding blah blah ).

Stock cooling is good, there is nothing wrong with it.
    The software side , here i mean BIOS, fails badly, and its big shame for AMD, i wont forget that easly :)

8. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    I don't know what the big fuss is about in this thread. My Furmark works fine in Catalyst 8.8 (I don't need to rename anything, avg 69fps)

I'm running a Thermaltake DuOrb cooling solution though...

[​IMG]

Never goes above 64C @ 100% OC'd to 700Mhz Core and 2250Mhz Memory

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  9. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic HD3870 512
  10. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    never heard of furmark

11. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Is there a Vista 64 bit version of Furmark?

12. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    The regular version runs on Vista 64.

13. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
  14. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Hmm, works for me on Vista 64

15. xpooz

xpooz Member

GPU:
    sapphire HD6950@70 4GB cf
    if you rename the furmark executable file, it will run like 100+ fps under catalyst 8.8
    if u run it non stop in 10 ~ 15 mins
    your system will get hang..
    bcoz your display card will get too hot..

16. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU: