Catalyst 8.8 OFICIAL!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RBEJ, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I'm going to give the 8.8's a try when get off work. Hopefully they will resolve some of the issues I'm having.

I thought you were getting a 8400GS? What happened to that?

2. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Stu-wart, why don't you just bug the f*cking hell the f*ck off, you pissant poser.

Damn, you result to abusing little schoolyard nonsense instead of trying to contribute anything to the conversation at hand. Mature of you. :rolleyes:

As for the rest, 8.8 is just another borked set of drivers...8.7 work for a lot of people, even 4870 people, while 8.8 seems to cause new problems without really fixing the existing problems...That seems to define the term 'buggy' from where I stand.

That is all I'm saying on this driver set. I have yet to see anyone really get that much 'wow!' factor from 8.8, whereas 8.7 actually worked well for a lot of people.

Drivers are becoming like the weather, if you don't like it, wait ten minutes (or a month), and here comes a new set...

Oh, and for those using Station-Drivers press-release driver sets, you guys deserve the problems you end up with, unless you entirely wipe out every single trace of ATI software on the drive (which can be impossible to do sometimes because of the deep ties to Windows system files), including deleting every single registry entry having anything to do with ATI (which can be impossible to do without screwing Windows itself over)...You'd best avoid using pre-release drivers.

If you love formatting more than you should (unless you can buy 1TB+ SATA-2 drives every eight months or so from all that formatting), then go ahead and play with the crud on Station-drivers.

Removing and then installing non-pre-release driver sets is a whole lot safer than messing around with the crud on Station-drivers. Those pre-release drivers always have CCC and all sorts of other totally un-needed crud with them, and for some reason, even when you boot to safe mode, then meticulously search&destroy for any trace of ATI software, then install the official versions of the drivers you already got off Station-drivers, something always gets screwed over.

If you switch drivers between official ATI-made drivers, the problems are not quite as common.

Some people who have problems no matter what they try, may want to look more closely at either their mainboard or the software other than Windows that they install. Even media codecs can cause various problems in games that seem to be unrelated to media playback, to say nothing of corrupted bit-torrent apps and all the other stuff people install out of habit, even if it's never needed for their system.

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Nothing but a blank screen whenever I try to run a game, going back to 8.7

4. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Originally Posted by The General
    You don't seem to read either. Yes i am that guy who was telling folks about how ATI doesn't know how to use or care about openGl and i just posted the extensions to prove it. Nvidia does opengl better and the facts are right there which i just posted. And i wasn't having issues with DirectX games, i am was having issues with alot of games. And i am not using a 60watts PSU, its 90watts.

jesus if this guy still didnt end his pointless dicussion on how his pentium 3 performs better with nvidia... ofc it performs better with nvidia since it has crappier image quality and needs less resources than the ati one u specified... if u cant understand that just plz stop the crap already

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

My computer IS FRICKEN BORKED WITH THESE PIECE OF **** DRIVERS!!!!

God dammit ATI I don't want to ****ing beta test yout ****ing drivers!!!!

Be back in FOUR HOURS while I reinstall ALL my games and ALL my drivers and my DAMN OS AGAIN!!!!

GOD ****ING DAMMIT!

6. Chodi

Chodi Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670oc
    I had two 4870's in Crossfire and I could not resist changing to a new Power Color 4870X2. I play most of the latest games and some real old openGL games like the Medal of Honor series. I had the 8.7's on my system for the 4870's. The new card booted right up and recognized the change. I know I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I use XPSP2 because I have no problems in anything with that operating system. The new 4870X2 automatically recognized and installed the driver for the R700 and runs everything I throw at it perfectly. Maybe just lucky? I read problem after problem with Vista. On my system everything including openGL games run great on the 4870X2 with XP. I haven't yet tried the 8.8's because my system works great as it is. Why you guys persist in using Vista with all it's compatability problems is beyond me? Sorry maybe this is off topic, but I just don't get the whole Vista thing.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah allied assault runs fine, while spearhead and breakthrough are crashing. ATI pls fix this asap! its not vista its the drivers thats the problem :(

8. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Indeed, I ran vista 64 for several months and ended up throwing my hands up and went back to XP 64, for me it wasn't driver issues or nvidia chipset issues, it was vista itself and all its endless problems, with XP 64 I have no problems at all, never have, with the exception of nvidia chipset drivers and that's not even the fault of XP 64.

9. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well I use Vista x64, because I have never had any problems whatsoever with it :p Not counting that creative did not make drivers for my 6 year old webcam....

Sure the driver signing thing was a little annoying but readydriverplus fixes that :)

10. usuariopc

usuariopc New Member

White dots on Crysis and Assassin's Creed returns. On the 8.8 beta they are fixed, in the final, not. :bang:

11. Darkuser

Darkuser Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    ^
    This

I've been using Vista Ultimate x64 for almost a year now and had no problems. Sometimes like mentioned above companies like to screw you with drivers but thats not Vista's fault (Creative did the same for my sound card but I found modded drivers for EAX support).

I mess around with my computer alot, swapping drivers, OC'ing, buying new hardware, switched from AMD to Intel and never had to re-format. None of the problems I hear people freaking out about all over the place.

If your computer is wigging out, your not doing it right and need to change something. Learn how to run a stable system and the problems go away.

12. Chodi

Chodi Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670oc
    This is way off topic but you brought it up so here goes: I play Spearhead and Breakthrough on the 4870X2 no problem. Just edit the game config files for each and keep Vsync on in CCC. Runs smooth as silk. There are many game forums with instructions for editing the config files. Works perfectly for me in 1680X1050 widescreen in XP. I can only imagine what would happen with Vista in these games.

13. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    your running a 4870x2 at 1680x1050 res,or does your screen not go any higher

14. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I've been debating swapping my 4870 for an x2 with max res of 1680x1050, cos on some games i've seen the FPS drop to around 45 on large scenes, and i also want to play crysis smoothly at very high too, plus I'm thinking with far cry 2, and crysis warhead coming up, these titles will be pushing my card too much.

15. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    well i run my 4870 at 1900x1200 on quake wars COD4 grid and unreal all max settings and no slow ups at all,cant comment on crysis as tried it with my 8800gtx and just didnt like the game,but at that res i think it would be overkill for the card you are thinking of getting,thats just my opinion,i would just wait till the other games come out before deciding then the cards will be cheaper anyway

16. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    With 8.7 my driver kept resetting itself while not gaming. Sometimes even resulting in a BSOD. Looks like 8.8 has fixed that. At least I hope so.

17. Chodi

Chodi Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670oc
    I am using a recently purchased Samsung LCD and 1680X1050 is the native resolution of the monitor. Good enough for me. I realize the 4870X2 can perform very well at higher resolutions on a different monitor, but I am happy with what I have. I always buy the new games but I find myself going back to a lot of older games also. They look just fine at 1680X1050.

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Using the f-word in every sentence and whining in every post makes you childish as well. :wanker:
    I've yet to see ONE positive post (of your 120 total posts) from you without swearing or attacking others.
    The worst part is that when i see your name coming up, i can expect ranting and swearing.

19. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    grid locks up my comp still.. must be v1.2

20. .exe

.exe Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX275 XXX Edition
    I was thinking seriously to buy a 4870X2 for my new PC. As all of us know is the best video card at moment...but..what we should do if we play games with the best video card but using the ***** ATI drivers?

I hope ATI would fix that or I would buy an NVIDIA video card, their drivers don't give so much problems than these ATI ones :leave:

I hope u play safely and without any artifacts or blackscreens guys.

Cheers!