How To Overclock? Please Help.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by kanej2007, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have never overclocked before. As you can see I have an amd 6000 x2 3.0 at the moment.

I want to overclock my processor to at least 3.4ghz.

My current processors temps are very good, idling at around 45, while gaming rises to max 55-60.

My system is kept cool as I have a massive coolermaster case, 4 large fans and 2 small fans so ventilation is very good.

Could somebody please give me easy basic instructions to safely overclock my processor bit by bit?

Thanks

2. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Those are good temps? I think you have much to research.

Edit: And rofl google athlon 6000 overclock, there's like a gazillion pages on it. So much butt wiping...

3. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    The only way you get your CPU up to 3.4 GHz with your current set up is by shaking it... REAL HARD!!

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. I will try to look for a good easy guide to follow of how to overclock.

Do any of you know a link of where I can find a simple guide to overclock?

Many thanks.

5. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Not by hard, google should serve you well.

but if you're running 55/60 on load, you don't have any headroom to overlock your CPU.

6. SaltyDog1976

SaltyDog1976 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX-285
    I've never OC'd before either but hope to soon. I've been looking here and have found some really great information. From what those guys above are saying above it looks like you need to overhaul a couple few things first. I'd probably start with finding out what kind of temps are safe and move on from there. Good luck to you on your venture.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I found a great site, explaining step by step of how to overclock, etc. I will post the link later as I'm not home now and cannot find the site! I bookmarked it at home and shall post the link in a bit...

From what I have seen, if you have very good cooling, you may just about push it to just over 3.5Ghz, not bad huh??

Each system is different though, some were only able to overclock to 3.2 or 3.3ghz....

8. mixalis9

mixalis9 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti
    for 3.2 go to bios change the fsb to 213 and the multiplier to 15
    ram voltage to 2.1
    cpu voltage 1.45.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I tried what you said above but did not work. I got some error messages at the bios with windows diagnostic tool.

I may try the automatic overclock?

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hmmm, this is strange, now, in the bios, it reads cpu speed 3195 Mhz, but in cpu-z reads something else!!

So did the overclock work? If so, do you think I can push it to 3.4ghz??

However, my cpu temperature jumped from 60 degrees to 88!!!! I may need to go and buy a new cooler with proper thermal paste, those temps are a little high!!!

But thanks for that quick and easy tip to overclock from 3 to 3.2.

I will buy a cooler later on and if the temps go down a bit, I will try to overclock a little more!

The ram I have, its timings are supposed to be 4 4 4 12 15, something like that, but it reads 6 6 6 6 18, how can I change this?

Thanks

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    What is the BEST cooler to buy for my amd 6000?? I'm now getting crazy temps as I said above since a small overclock.

The temp went from 60 degrees to 88!!!!!!!! This ****s on fire, lol

12. mixalis9

mixalis9 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti

man leave for now your cpu to stock speeds. get ur self 1 arctic cooler freezer 64pro. i idle at 36c at 3.2.. its very good.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'm doing a system stability test with EVEREST, cpu temps have gone upto 99!!!

I definately need some cooler!!!

After the test finished, the cpu had a minimum of 73, average of 88, and a maximum of 99!

The stress test passed, my system is 100% stable and did not crash, but I'm worried about the cpu temp of 99!!

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks, I found the cooler you was on about, looks great and is even cheap.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=340993&source=froogle

This is the one right?

Is it easy to install? Is is quiet?

Thanks in advance

15. mixalis9

mixalis9 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti
    man you will burn ur cpu. these temps are way 2 high... change to default and go get a good cooler.. 6000+ cant overclock pas 3.3 cause u will need to put the cpu voltage very high.. o/c to 3.2 when u get the cooler. 3.2 is enought for games and applications.
    those temps are very high.. leave ur case open or open the a/c :D

u can visit here and read some reviews

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-000-AR&tool=3

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I just ordered the cooler and will have it by tomorrow!

I just looked at a review and it seems to be REALLY good.

My current cooler is crap and only spins at 1400 RPM, it's a coolermaster but is old and after an overclock it needs to be upgraded!

Thanks for your advice to get this cooler. I will update you tomorrow on what my new temperatures are!!

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I am using my laptop now, pc is off. I left it as it was before. I will keep it off till I replace the cooler as it should make a huge difference!

On the overclockers forum, somebody overclocked their amd 5600+ to 3.2ghz, quite impressive!

If I get good temps tomorrow after installing the new cooler, I may try to overclock to 3.3 or 3.4, and leave it at that......

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm curious, but are those temps even possible?
    Why I ask, is because I have extensive experience with ASUS, and they've incorporated a 'thermal threshold limiter' several years ago that will shut the PC down (hard-off) if the CPU temps exceed the thermal threshold of the CPU itself (literally imbedded into it's registers) - most of the AMD CPUs thermal limit is at 68*C - so the PC *should* shut itself down at 68*C...

I have no experience with a 6000+, or the M2N boards specifically, but in over 15 years of working with AMD systems and ASUS boards exclusively, I've never once had a problem like this.

As for the cooling, the AC64Freezer Pro is a really good one, but bested by the ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme in every test...but there's a huge drawback in using the TRUE120...it's size is far too large to fit in any but the largest full-tower cases, and even then depending on side-panel configuration, there may be modifications to the case just to get it to fit...so I think you've made the right choice for your system.

You're more than safe to run your rig at STOCK speeds, as the stock cooler is sufficient to run at that speed.

One thing that I have to state here is that MOST people underestimate or don't even think of case cooling as the main issue with high temps. Everyone simply sets up their case fans like everyone else, and don't test any other setup...this is a *huge* mistake. You've got to have just a bit more cool air coming in the case as you do exhausting out, and intaking in the front/exhausting out the rear isn't always the best way to set up case cooling.
    Try to evaluate just how good your case cooling is - turn 1 fan around, test your temps (all of them - mobo, GPU, CPU), then turn it back, turn the next one around, test again, then get to where you're testing with 2 turned around, then 3, in every possible scenario - in 8 times out of 10, you'll find a better case fan setup than what you've got already.

Good luck!

Psychlone

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks, some very useful information I will bear in mind...

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Here is a pic of the inside of my pc, do you think the new cooler will fit?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008