Benchmarking 177.83 GRAW 2 PhysX

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by R0CKY, Aug 13, 2008.

1. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    I saw some GRAW 2 results getting posted elsewhere, hope it's okay to start a dedicated thread on it though...

I took some benchmarks before I installed these drivers, and then after, the results seem pretty poor so it would be interesting to see how others got on.

1680 x 1050 screen res.
    PhysX set to Extreme in GRAW 2 options

GRAW 2 Mission 1
    Heli Insert = 100 FPS
    Mission Insert = 90 FPS
    Running up first hill on left, over ledge, scout area around truck = 90-96 FPS

So basically, a solid 90 FPS prior to installing drivers.

After installing 177.83 and activating PhsyX the FPS plummeted to 25, basically unplayable. And it crashed 4 times out of 5.

AGEIA Island though, seems to run a bit better, maybe around 40 FPS.

Has anyone else played at that resolution in mission 1 and clocked their FPS? It seems a big hit for what you gain....

2. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    Have you tried disabling PhysX acceleration (using the same drivers) and try again?

3. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    If I do Start > Programs > Nvidia PhysX then select No Acceleration in the properties, this returns the game to it's original 90 FPS.

I'm doing some more testing, but right now the game crashes about 40 seconds into mission 1 every single time with PhysX on.

As an aside, it was a year ago to the month that we found you could put PhsyX on GRAW without special drivers or the card, just a simple txt edit. Details here. Actually, back then with that simple config edit, I don't think the hit on frames was anything as bad as these new drivers LOL!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Hi bud, I'm going through GRAW2 too, best tactical war sim I have ever played btw, love it.
    Issue here is one time it runs smooth as silk and other times the map runs laggy. I dont know if this is physx/driver related or because of my memory that is undervolted.
    I never had the high FPS like you said but then I never played the game without the physx, I especialy tried the game for the physx.

So again issue here is sometimes the same map will play very smooth and other times its laggy as hell.

Still a top notch game though (except for the retarted squad members)

5. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    Seems like you don't have enough power to play the game with PhysX on!

It all depends what rez you play and what about detail level.....

Even my rig with everything on, PhysX also, some level are a lil choppy (not as fluid as i would like)......

Regarding your crash experience watch your overclock (CPU and GPU). I found that PhysX is just stressing a lil bit more your system.

Or just make sure you don't have anything from the previous driver....To be sure go to your nVCP system information.

Hope it will help.

6. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Oh its the physx alright.

Loaded a map with acceleration disabled in physx control panel and the FPS go sky high.
    I will now try with the config tweak (using cpu)

Update: cant pull it off because its already set to "2" and "true" for physx in the settings config file.

7. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    Yeh, you will not be able to try the config tweak while these drivers are installed.

I would put money on the config tweak producing better results than these Nvidia drivers though, I certainly do not recall having results as bad as this when I tried that config edit a year ago, and then consider that a year ago I was not using a 8800GT!

To test that theory would mean totally uninstalling these current drivers though, and rolling back to the previous ones in order to try that out and record the results.

It's alright saying you don't have a powerful enough rig, but Nvidia are specifically boasting GRAW 2 PhysX on a 8800, with these drivers. They should really state "at 800 x 600" LOL.

Anyway, having watched the effects, it is definitely a case of not enough bang for buck, by a long chalk. The existing effects in GRAW 2 are fine, and the extra bang and flash of PhysX is definitely not worth a drop in resolution or 70 FPS, nothing like it.

8. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    I did some more testing and found the campaign maps all suffered terribly, but surprise surprise one map in particular actually performed very well, managing 50 FPS, (that's easily double the other maps), and that was the now unlocked Ageia Island. So perhaps it's down to how well the maps have been designed for the extra PhysX, as someone already remarked on.

9. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Yeah, the Ageia map runs great m8 and it seems to use even more physx then the other maps. Like you said its probably better designed.

I'm now trying STALKER again and have low FPS when using forced 2 or 4x AA @ 1680x1024. Hopefully this physx driver doesnt interfere with other non physx games (silly, i know)

They should let a game run on 2 cores and let the other two cores do the physx ;)

10. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    Well, I was worried about the exact same thing, especially COD4, I freaking love that game - anyway, I tested it and it is no different on these drivers, exact same FPS.

BTW, if anyone is interested I put a video up of the explosions.

http://www.vimeo.com/1523460

I think my final word had to be on the review here for these drivers, I really can't agree with the GRAW 2 conclusions. Boasting about the movement of the trees, I mean come on, We had tree sway JUST LIKE THAT in the original Ghost Recon 7 years ago, and it did not need a £400 graphics card.

11. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

GPU:
    Albatron 9600GT
    Same here, crashes on first campaign level just after you kill first 2 soldiers.

Had no problems with this game or any other prior to this PhysX driver release.

COD4 runs smooth as though.

Haven't tried AGEIA Island yet.

How do you benchmark please so I can provide some stats?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    is it me or the new physx driver perform lower thasn the previous one?

13. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Nice vid Rock! (what the hell were you doing at the end though, got bored? haha)

I'm with you on the Physx hype bro but dont forget these physx are probably different then those scripted loop sways. I haven't played Crysis yet so dont know if all vegetation and particles are affected by wind direction but it sure seems so in GRAW2 with Extreme Physx. This might be the cause of poor performance, although, again, AGEIA doesnt have any probs with it.

I finished GRAW2 yesterday, top game.

14. Necronaught

Necronaught Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 280 - 180.60
    You should try Armed Assault if you like tactical sims

15. bagman

bagman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    By way of comparison:

No PhsyX:
    Heli Insert = 105 FPS
    Mission Insert = 95 FPS
    Running up first hill on left, over ledge, scout area around truck = 85-90 FPS

Extreme PhysX
    Heli Insert = 65 FPS
    Mission Insert = 55 FPS
    Running up first hill on left, over ledge, scout area around truck = 45-50FPS

High PhysX:
    Heli Insert = 95FPS
    Mission Insert = 85 FPS
    Running up first hill on left, over ledge, scout area around truck = 70-75 FPS

1600X1200
    16XAF
    Everything on High and Edge Smoothing.
    Same drivers as yourself.

System spec to the left.

cheers

16. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Yeah I know all about the good ones bud ;)

Arma, OF, etc...

Problem was that it didnt run well with my old rig so I'm going through them again.

17. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
  18. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    Haha, that was actually the 1st time I had managed to destroy all the stoarge tanks, so when the attach heli came in, I was sort of like "What the He....." LOL.

19. R0CKY

R0CKY New Member

GPU:
    G92 8800GTS 512Mb
    That's interesting stats, thanks for taking the time to try it out and post them. I am not familiar with your card, but I'm assuming it's a step up on my 8800GTS (Edit, yep, pretty expensive, although still cheap compared to Thales lol). Although you get basically the same FPS with no PhysX, the power of your card must kick in for the higher PhysX settings as you are getting playable frames compared to me, nice one.

*waves at Thales*

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  20. zumbi

zumbi New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GT
    I had the same problem here with the 177.79 and 177.83.

My config
    E2140 3.0Ghz
    8800GT stock
    2x1GB

I'll try the 177.89 now.