Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Anyone considered using chillers manufactured for aquariums for H2O systems? I have one running on my salt water tank and it is capable of dropping the temperature of 80 gal of water around 10 to 15 degrees F. A low end unit here http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/216026/i/7/product.web with 1/15HP compressor and 700BTU capacity, might just be the ticket for a water cooled system.

2. polisha

polisha Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600gt XXX sli
    High end question

is pa 120.2 for xfx 8800ultra XXX triple sli and 120.3 for cpu (qx9650 4ghz), flexxlc, chipset and mosfet ok or should i do 3 loops?

3. Wicaeed

Wicaeed New Member

GPU:
    BFGTech 8800GTS 640mb
    Quick question:

(before you ask, I didn't read the guide before I purchased :nerd: )

I purchased a Thermaltake Bigwater 760is kit today from Fry's. Few hours later I had it installed and running, Q6600 idle temps are hovering around 37*C (edit 33*C after switching the flow direction) for now.

What is the biggest difference between the 760is and the new Bigwater 760i series from thermaltake? Hell, looking at the website and the box in my lap, it's identical.

I'm not feeling like I got ripped off right now, but I'm wondering if my money would be better spent returning this current Bigwater and getting the new series, or just keeping it and shrugging it off...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I'd put the 120.3 on the graphics cards and the 120.2 for the CPU then It should be fine. Make sure to get a non-restrictive CPU block if you want all the other stuff in the same loop though. i.e. not the EK supreme... The DTEK fuzion would be a good non-restrictive block. You'll want to keep the flow rate as high as you can with the chipset blocks in the loop too.

5. Spiel

Spiel Banned

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2
    edit edit

edit edit

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  6. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I have a question, I want to buy a mosfet cooler for my Zalman reserator 1, as I've wasted two mobo's and I'm seriously suspecting the mosfets of overheating without the CPU fan blowing air over them. The cooling block I have my eyes on has a G1/4 tread, but what is the size of the tubing Zalman uses?

(or if you're feeling particularly helpful, point me to the right fittings, preferably on the same website)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. subtleshift

subtleshift New Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 512 x2 SLI
    760is!

Hello Dallas,
    Thank you for using Thermaltake Customer Service.
    Only difference is the fan speed controller. The IS has a more precise fan speed control, allowing for better control of the fan in the unit.
    Thermaltake USA Customer Service

thats the responce i got from TT it made me feal better hope it helped you too!...

8. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Hello,, i want some advised to buy a water colling kit to my amd 6000+ i did i little oc (3.2ghz) but temp are high (50cÂș)

Litle help please...

9. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
  10. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Thermaltake makes crap kits, I wouldn't be surprised if you temps went up using that garbage.

11. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    like Moose said,thermaltake doesnt make very good wcing products.quality to performance they are bottom of the barrel,literally.you would be MUCH better off going with a swiftech kit(if you arent comfortable configuring a custom loop).if you want truly top notch wcing go with a custom loop.

12. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    oks thanks for your answer ... any suggestion ? i mean.. do you people can tell how to build it ?

13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    no problem,its a little intimidating(and expensive) at first.after youve set up your first loop you will find that its really not very hard.
    first well need a price range to work with.well link you up with the parts youll need but youll have to find them somewhere.hopefully someone from your country will pop in and help.

14. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    is kinda hard cuz i live in venezuela and those kind of modding parts are difficult to find.. im gonna put a pic of my case so you can see if the water cooling sistem could fit in... just tell me what to buy and i will ask for a friend who lives in USA to buy it and send it to me..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    try the swiftech compact 220. It is pretty much self-contained, so it would be easy to set up, and would potentially be 10 degrees cooler than the thermaltake kit.

16. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i just saw it. and it looks prrety nice, but should i use it also to cooling my 9800gtx ? or only the cpu ?

17. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
  18. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    thanks for your help bro..

19. borisof007

borisof007 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2 SSC 1gb DDR3
    Hello!

First time poster here, but long time reader. I'm currently in the market for a water cooling solution for my 9800 gx2, as the heat it produces is just too much. I'm satisfied with its performance, just not the heat level.

I already understand that the all in one solutions are generally not the way to go (Especially Thermaltake) and that Swiftech seems to be a decent brand.

However, with the current information here, I keep seeing a lot about solutions for CPU's, but not for GPU's. I currently only want a solution to cool my gpu and not my cpu because my CPU runs perfectly fine on the pure copper heatsink/fan combo I got goin on for it. Now, I do understand that I could go for the CPU/GPU combo at a later point and that may become an option for me, but for now I'm fairly interested in only my GPU, as it's producing about 30-40 degress Celsius more heat than my CPU is.

Would there be any recommendations for a decent water cooling system setup for my GPU? Remember, I have a 9800 GX2 so the Waterblock has to be covering both GPU's on both cards.

EDIT: Was thinking of this waterblock maybe?

http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-m...block-nvidia-9800gx2-1/2in-3/8in-1/4in-OD.htm

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  20. KiLO

KiLO Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 260OCX in SLI
    Great post, thanks!

Bought my water cooling kit today :)

D-Tek FuZion V2 CPU Block
    ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple Radiator
    Laing D5 Vario 12V Pump
    Swiftech MCRES Micro Reservoir
    Swiftech MCW30 Universal Northbridge Waterblock
    Masterkleer Hi-Flex 1/2 ID - 3/4 OD Clear (4m)
    PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils 3/4- Clear (4m)
    Zinc Plated Worm Drive Hose Clip for 1/2 Tubing (12x)
    Feser One UV Red Coolant 1Lt (2Lt)

:nerd: