Best 5.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by LordAboveAll, Jul 24, 2008.

1. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Hello all,

I'm an audiophile with no money sad isn't it? and I'm in the market for the best 5.1 speakers I can afford for my computer setup.

btw I Just picked up the Prelude and love it, I'm hoping to pair it with some good speakers.

I play games regularly, movies even more and also listen to music.
    I have a $200 to 300 price range, I was looking at the Z-5500's but maybe the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1? I'm interested in what you guys think?

Don't worry about going over $200-$300, 20th birthday soon hopefully I can get something good this year, unlike last year which I only got a lowly $3000 car loi.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, purely for multi-media use, you can't go wrong with either of those 5.1 speaker system you'd mentioned. I myself am using the Z-5500 with the Fatal1ty FPS and it's just a monster when it comes to games and movies (I even have it hooked up to my PS3 and 360 for 5.1 audio heaven)

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you like your Z-5300 I'm sure you would like Z-5500 too.

4. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    You're better off buying a home theatre setup. Some of Onkyo's cheap all-in-one boxes are still better than any PC speakers you can buy.

5. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Thats an idea, but then I'd have to figure out where to put the receiver box.

6. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    I was reading some reviews on cnet and a lot of the reviewers said that the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1's amp died within months even hours for some...

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Go for a HT set-up. The Onkyo systems can be had for $200 for a entry level system this will let you upgrade speakers etc when you get more money.

8. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Any of the those systems would give you better sound then most PC systems.
    The good part is with the system you can replace the speakers latyer on if you find they lack a bit. For the price though those systems are pretty hard to beat.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Ppl are really missing the definition of PC speakers. Recievers and hi-fi stuff for PC's? C'mon.
    If someone wants to buy a PC speaker set, advise something out of that, not generically start talking about recievers and like some nutcase audiophiles...

11. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Nice thanks ROBSCIX, and as good as the prelude sounds just can't wait to to hear how it sounds with that HT setup, next step will be to upgrade the opamps.

Well thanks much for all the help everyone.

12. kernell3200

kernell3200 Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek / A6600 GT/128Mb (580/1.06)
    Hello Guys, now that you are talking about speakers, i will suggest also to use Hometheater systems over PC speakers, because you get more WATTS for the price.

I am also planning to buy new audio for my PC, (for around 400 dollar)
    like this ones:

Samsung 1200 watts rms
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8715759&type=product&id=1200702389192

Sony 1000 watts rms
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8724375&type=product&id=1200703058009

1.-. can I plug my Audigy X-FI Elite PRO to this systems and play unreal torunament and see movies in 5.1??

2.- which of the systems do you think is the best? (its okay if u suggest another, but i am limited to buy in stores like best buy and compusa)

3.- why does sony only says Dolby pro logic II built in decoder were the hell are the others? Dolby digital and DTS etc.

i now have creative Inspire 7700 7.1 but they are making strange noise :( , and i am getting a little deaf so i need more power ;) !!

any thougs?

13. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Actually I want the best sound I can get for the money. So if a HT set-up will give me better sound I would rather have that.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No problem. For your budget that is easily the best option for you, look at what they have to offer in your price range and buy the best system you can afford. Atleast you can upgrade later if you want, better speaker or subwoofer either way you have options. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  15. ToolJar_80

ToolJar_80 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1x2 SLI
    Not trying to crap on your thread, but nice avatar. I guess I'll be changing mine.

16. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    So would I just plug my prelude into the Onkyo receiver right?
    What would be the best way? Optical?

haha Tool fan are ya? You can keep the avatar, the more Tool fans the better I say...But I was here first...loi

17. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    I have to say a HT is what you want as you are an allrounder, not just a games player. See my specs. Great setup for the price....I aint got much dosh, but as been said before, getting an amp, you can upgrade. I had the Z5500.s before the current setup and it blows the z5500 out of the water.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Lord, now with the Prelude you can go both analog and digital but analog usually sounds much better.

19. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    That Onkyo605 is 90w rms per channel right? I wish my Sony had more than stereo analog inputs, but at least for now its 120w rms per channel and the sub i have is 320w with its only amp using a digital connection from the receiver to the sub.

20. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Thats what I wanted to know thanks again.

Now would it be better to piece it out or get it all in one box?