Microsoft looks to 'Mojave' to revive Vista's image

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Denial, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Basically Microsoft tricked a bunch of people who believed vista was a bad OS into using it by calling it "Mojave" they then recorded their reactions which were all positive of the operating system. While I think this isn't the best way to show that Vista is a good operating system, I definitely think that there is a lot of bad press out there about the OS and most people haven't even used it. I read these forums a lot and throughout the day I see plenty of posts by people who say things about a OS they clearly have never used.

This is part of Microsofts $300M campaign against negative publicity of the operating system.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...AAADc/5wA&bcsi_scan_filename=article12314.htm

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well i think its good ...ok i will admit vista was a bit shakey on my first install but after i sorted a few bugs it has been smooth for over a year now :D

3. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    and I bet they would have been even happier if they thought it was made by apple

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    Vista 64bit is still a bitch to work with IMO. I was using it as my 1 and only OS last year for near on 9 months and only went back to XP because of issues with UT3.

After being back on XP for long, it was rather shocking to install Vista again on the Phenom rig....even after hours of updating and installing SP1 i'm still swimming in a sea of compatibility issues and random error messages. >.<

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    I have been happily using Vista Ultimate 64 since it came out. Whats surprising??? I still have no intention of doing a format of my PC. It still runs as if its a new installation! XP users, I pitty :) I remeber XP being so messy and having to format yearly to keep performance up.... Vista FTW!

6. Guy0510

Guy0510 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 @ 700/1750/11
    I've been running VISTA since the beta and loving every minute of it. I'm not a fanboy, I just like the O/S. You see, I make up my own mind by using my own experiences as the guideline - not what others say. It is an amazing concept that more people should try.

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Everything you described is the fault of third party developers or manufacturers, who didn't test their product properly on the latest operating system, they are the ones you should be complaining about.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I have vista for 2 monnths, and there is no way i am going back to XP.
    Vista is much more stable for me , and i like how it looks/works under desktop.

9. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    Oh I know, I never blamed Microsoft....

Although, they aren't completely unresponsible for my disliking of Visa. Whoever came up with UAC should have been fired.

10. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I have no beef with Vista at all... it's better than XP, what more is there to say.

But one thing that is really pissing me off is this!

[​IMG]

****ing window keeps resizing so it's too small for the contents.. and the control panel does the same thing. Why??! It doesn't need to change size! Why doesn't it remember when I change it so there are no scroll bars!?

Plus the event viewer and services window still opens like this!

[​IMG]

Why!? I have to expand it out and change the column widths every ****ing time I open it.. remember it bitch! My display is greater than 800x600 you piece of ****.

/insane rant over.

11. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Considering UAC stopped 100% of trojans thrown at the system in a recent test.. UAC is actually a pretty good thing.

12. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    There is nothing out there such as Games that require anyone to even have Vista over XP. Might be a few "Vista Only" Apps like 3dmarkvantage but big deal.... I'm not convinced that Vista is anything more than a headache so I'll keep my Ultimate disk in its box till I MUST use it to repair someones machine..otherwise it won't go back on any of my 5 rigs unless they fix the memory usage problem and strip it down some more. Otherwise I'll wait to see what Win7 offers.

So to sum it up, they have about as much chance of reviving Vista's image as they do reviving a image of dog crap in my back yard.

The UAC was/is ok, but the only problem with it is that it was turned ON from the install... and shouldn't be. It should have either been off at install or prompted to start it like Windows Firewall, and Automatic Updates. System restore is the same way...non of those things should EVER be set to ON from install.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    What memory usage problem?

You do realize that unlike XP, Vista re-allocates RAM so that programs can be booted quicker?

Unlike XP, where ram is doing nothing when idle, Vista has some apps pre-fetched into the RAM, making it much quicker (less fetching when you want to run the program). To me, that is actually really smart. I notice things load incredibly fast in Vista.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    True. Actualy i noticed XP after very long time up time was eating more memmory than Vista. (8h of playing WoW, X was eating whole 2GB of ram, while vista never exeeeded 1.4GB).

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Perhaps it only wants to hide that Dell logo? :)

16. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Why even bother with vista when windows 7 (2009 M$ say)is being released soon ? M$ even admited vista was the new ME (in other words rubbish) :p .

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Vista is no more rubish than XP.

In other words, if Vista is rubbish , then XP is ubber CRAP.
    And i was using XP for several years, all kind of its versions.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

There is hardly anything out there that doesn't work in Windows 2000, should we just stick with that?

And honestly UAC is fine. It shouldn't be left off by default because then the millions of retarded users who it's suited for wouldn't have it on. And honestly, is it really that hard to go into control panel and turn it off?

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Haha, Mojave pwned them all. AHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAH
    What i told ya? It's all bad press when friend of a friends cousin who knows someones brothers dog said that Vista sucks... Of course trashing something without trying is total BS. Also ppl who removed Vista after 3 hours of usage (probably even without any real drivers) are as credible as my dogs poo in my backyard...

20. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I only have a few minor gripes with Vista . I have been using it since around November last year.

* The new folder path layout at the top of an explorer window
    * UAC - It's a step in the right direction but its a bit "crude" = I have it a limited mode without many popups
    * Any window Management at all , nothing saves properly

The only other thing that annoys me is that they have decided to tweak the layout of things and the names that have been the same for years for no reason other than to piss people off with experience of every other windows operating system.