No Metal Gear Solid 4 for XboX 360

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by krayzieNRG, Jul 16, 2008.

1. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    It's ‘impossible’

There have been some talks about Metal Gear Solid 4 following in the footsteps of Final Fantasy and migrate to XboX 360, but now it looks like that won’t happen. Jack Tretton, SCEA’s CEO, said how no other console can handle technical demands of this game.

He went on saying how Metal Gear Solid is only possible on PS3, and therefore will remain exclusive to it, partly thanks to BluRay technology. SCEA apparently has high regard for BluRay, as he also added how PS3 drove BluRay to victory over HD DVD, so now it’s time for it to return the favor.
    Read more http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31242/E3-08-MGS4-on-360-impossible-says-Sony

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8470&Itemid=1

2. Athanasios2104

Athanasios2104 Member

GPU:
    Ati x1950xtx
  3. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I'll wait for the game makers to deside what's possible and what isn't possible with a game. Not the console companies. Besides when has Sony ever been right about the abilities of their hardware vs others?
    MGS4 wasn't really all that ground breaking. All it has is ALOT of cut scenes. The most impressive thing I have seen so far is the Rex vs Ray battle. Even that isn't something I can say I have never seen done before.
    PS. I like the game none-the-less. Just don't understand what's so "impossible" about it.

4. tobiasboon

tobiasboon Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS 320
    Probably sub 8GB (available, due to security section on 360 disks) dual layer DVD storage vs 50GB dual layer Blu Ray storage. That and the fact that the 360 doesn't support lossless audio afaik which would make MGS4 as it is right now technically "impossible" on the 360. Whether Cell was leveraged in some way that would be impossible to replicate on the 360 is also possible I guess, but unlikely, I don't think it's raw system power that would make a port "impossible" seeing as the 360 and PS3 are generally quite evenly matched overall.

5. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Well it's not impossible but it sure breaks barriers.

For one it beats the hell out of the overrated Gears of War in terms of technical power. All that pre-baked BS in the Unreal Engine..pass.
    Just look at what Turok was gonna look like..and what it looks like now.
    An example of a developer being tricked into the UE and finding out its nothing but a one trick pony.

6. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    PS3 games definitely look better if they are exclusive and had complete development time. Generally most ports and multi plat games are better on the 360 because its easier to develop on. It's a trade off where sometimes one wins, the other wins, and so on.

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    why we didnt see latest ACE COMBAT in PS3 by the way? damn i like the series.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The turd that is Haze begs the questiion what happened there....;)

9. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Haze was bad but MGS4 or GT5 will not come to 360 or PC I am sure. They try to make it in 1 disc for PS3, so 360 needs multiple disc and some compressing may be. Also GT gave presentation as 9.8 :cool:

PS: Kratos is coming to PS3 so watch out for him :deflate:

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Bull**** how can the Xbox not handle MGS4 ?

3.2 GHz PPC Tri-Core Xenon
    500 MHz ATI Xenos
    hows that not enough power?

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I don't see anything that's so special about GT that could not be done on the 360/PC, static backgrounds and no crash damage certainly don't make the game out of reach other hardware, MSG4 on the other hand might be out of reach simply due to the amount of cut scene movies and due to the fact that the 360 comes in so many flavours from No HD, to 20gig 360s,to the top range 120 GIG....the first two would defiantly have problems with either no storage or limited storage, but the 120gig version could easily run MGS4 by installing the game onto the HD.

The main question about MSG4 going to other platforms will be just how well it sells on the PS3, Square obviously felt that they will make more money by making their next FF game mutiplat without even seeing how well it does on one platform first, so i wonder what exactly changed their mind from going exclusive, apart from making more money.

12. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    unless you work in console gaming industry (specifically in developing), i wouldn't be so confident in your statement.

Kojima [developer] has worked on the game inside out, and therefore has a lot more knowledge than any of us here, which is why i would rather take his word that MGS4 is impossible on 360.

If it was possible, then it would be out on the 360 already. Multi platform = more money.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well there are a lot of games that beat the hell out of GoW/Unreal 3 Engine. Lost Planet to me looks way better, for example. So does Call of Duty 4 in terms of actual realism. And not only does it look better, but it plays as good and smooth as the unreal 3 engine, which says a lot.

But yeah, u3 it utterly unimpressive, and most people agree seeing as how widely UNaccepted Unreal 3 Tournament was. Naturally its not all about the graphics, fair enough, but it certainly didn't help them. Epic needs to go back to the drawing board, cuz if they release GoW2 and it looks like the first one, it will make it easy for me to overlook

How do you figure? It was just released all of two weeks ago. If it was built exclusively for PS3, than I wouldn't imagine a copy for xbox being available for some time. Just like how games "exclusive" to xbox end up making appearences on PC.. but not right away..

And really, if it does remain only for PS3 then they've lost out on sales big time by avoiding the Xbox and PC market. that's their loss, not ours as consumers. Has history in the gaming industry taught us all nothing? If a game isn't released for your platform, some other better game will within a couple weeks/months. Most people won't dwell on it.. they'll just move on to something else!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  14. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    This is exactly what I mean. If it was POSSIBLE to make MGS4 for the 360, Kojima wouldn't have said it is "IMPOSSIBLE". They would simply wait quietely for a while, as you said, and release 360 version.

Again, exactly what I meant by saying multi-planform games bring more $$! Since everybody is out for the money, Kojima would have made a 360 version, or at least have plans for it. But as we can see, it doesn't seem that way!

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    so it'll come out on PC then so? lol

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    MGS4 apart from the very large cut scenes could run on the 360, the only thing stopping it before was the 360 lack of a HD optical format such as blue-ray and a 360 HD as mandatory, but now MS are adding the ability to install games onto the 360 MS have negated the lack of a HD optical format to some extent.......I think Konomi would be fools to pass up making the game available to the 360 and its 20 million plus user base, after all they are in gaming business to make money, not just to make and sell games, any business man worth their salt would be looking at multiplat this gen and salivating at the mouth at the prospect of how much money they can make......and who's to say it wont be a timed release, i mean why piss off the brethren by proclaiming you game will be mutiplat, market it as a exclusive and then once you have dried that well move onto the next watering hole....

Make sense.

17. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Kojima didn't say it was impossible (Link if I'm wrong). Jack Tretton of SONY said it. He had nothing to do with the games development other than the name on the system they put the game out on.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Because the way the PS3 and 360 are designed. MSG4 is designed to take advantage of the PS3, which the only remaining factor that the PS3 has that the 360 doesn't have, is the Cell I guess.

19. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Again, the only people that said it was impossible are people that work for SONY. It means nothing. Just some more marketing BS. We'll see it on the 360 by the end of next year if not sooner. Even though you will need another DVD rack just for that game alone. :)

20. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
    The one big reason why it will stay exclusive is because of all the apple refrences(the apple the characters carry, the mac laptop, the ipod, the list goes on and on). There is also a cutscene where otacon speaks about blu-ray.