New System Not Booting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VaRus, Jul 12, 2008.

1. VaRus

VaRus New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Hello,
    I just received a new motherboard as replacement for defective one from XFX (XFX 680i LT SLI). I finished assembling the system and it would not boot. Everything lights up, fans start working, however, video card fan runs at full throttle and system doesn't start. I tried resetting CMOS through jumper settings with nu luck. Then, what I find very odd is when I installed the video card into the 2nd PCI-Ex slot which is intended for 2nd card in SLI mode, computer boots with no problem. Except before loading operating systems it gives me a message "single slot video card detected in PCIEx-slot 2. Please insert the video card into PCIEx-slot 1 for Non-Sli mode", which I think is normal. But, why won't it boot when I install my card in the right place? My computer still has same configuration that worked with previous identical motherboard which had a defect related to nforce module, which caused crashing and freezing from time to time, but otherwise it worked with the same hardware. I can't think of what it could be except another defective motherboard. Any help is appreciated. :bang:

2. jasa

jasa Member

GPU:
    Xpert 8600GT 512 DDR2
    look into bios after it loads with 2nd video card and see if there is any settings u could fix.

if there aint try loading up default ones or optimised ones

3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i think your probably spot on.id prepare for the worst :( time to call xfx.
    Welcome to G3D!

4. VaRus

VaRus New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX
    What are the chances of receiving 2 defective motherboards in a row. Maybe I should try playing a lottery, or XFX should improve their product line, or even better - test all replacements before sending them out. Their RMA process takes around 3 weeks and no cross shipment available. I'll try to play around with bios settings, but I have a feeling I'm in for another 3 weeks of down time. Perhaps another defective motherboard in 3 weeks.... :bolt:

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    this is completely hit or miss but you may try turning the psu off with the switch on back.wait until the mb light goes off.flip it back on and see if it will boot.rinse,repeat.it may or may not work...

6. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Actually better than you might imagine; I had to RMA three Striker Extremes before I got one that would POST.

I believe all 680i chipset boards have problems, and your XFX is actually made by Foxconn.

7. VaRus

VaRus New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX
    I'm thinking of ditching this motherboard and go for something else, I'll just try to avoid purchasing products by XFX in the future. Does anybody have any recommendation for a mobo in $150 range thats stable and supports 45nm processors without any issues?

8. Alt

Alt Member Guru

GPU:
    9600GT (750/1875/1022)
    Actually, i got two defective nvidia chipsets in a row, that's when i decided to get a P35. Its not just XFX, trust me. I had two defective motherboards from Evga. Lets see, one in the $150 range, ill look one up for you!

Here is a DFI Blood Iron board, looks good and has many good reviews.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I agree, my guess would also be defective PCI-E slot...

10. VaRus

VaRus New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX
    What would you say about this one its based on p45
    ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45
    its $140 on newegg shipped

11. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I'd get either that DFI or a gigabyte. i used to swear by asus until i got 3 bad mobo's in a row.

12. VaRus

VaRus New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX
    I dont want to go with DFI and I dont see any good Gigabytes in my price range. By the way is p45 chipset better than p35?

13. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I think DFi make some of the best boards on the planet. As for gigabyte the p35-ds3l is a pretty awesome mobo for under $90. I've never had even the slightest problem with mine.