whats taking it so long ?? physx+G80

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Quad4Life, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Quad4Life

Quad4Life Member

GPU:
    gtx570 1.075v 870/2040
    I understand that the 8800gtx and ultra's are the high end of the 8x line of cards.. but whats taking it so long for them to release physx capable g80 drivers??

Already a week into july and there were just "rumors" that they will be released in july.. hopefully the 2nd week of july brings better luck to us G80 owners who play physx enabled games like ut3.. :nerd::infinity:

2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Patience is a virtue. :)

3. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    No virtues here :). I believe you should start support for the product waiting the most, G80 owners been waiting for this for 1&1/2 years we should get it first followed by newer models.The lack of support by nvidia when it comes to "older" models more and more wants me to try the r700(ATI). It's like "i have your money so :banana::banana:you"

4. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    least ati never ditched there older cards.
    unless maybe if its extremely old but thats understandable tough.

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    u tried 175.19 drivers? for my 9600gt it worked, at least i can select it on physx cpanel, altho i dont have anything 2 test it

PS: I know 9600gt its g94, but g94 isnt "oficially" supported too, and doesnt work with any 177.XX

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. rrjwilson

rrjwilson Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GTX Extreme 768Mb
    Hate to say this but I have personally seen the enabled menu for the following cards so its your end that is having problems.
    8800GT
    8800GTS
    9600GT in SLi
    9800GTX
    9800GX2
    GTX280

Currently I have only not seen the menu for 8800GTX or any other G80. I am trying my best to solve it as I have 8800GTX in SLi but no luck so far.

7. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    So nVidia decided to roll out support for the newest chips available with the exception of the relatively cheap G94. Is anyone really surprised or even offended about this? Has it really been that long of a wait? Actually I think bringing CUDA supported drivers and PhysX at all for any nVidia card has taken longer.

This sounds more like a case of the “Have’s and Have Not’s”.

Some people who have older 8 series cards that are currently unsupported (PhysX) are feeling slighted. OK I understand but how long has it really been?

Think of the poor people still on 7 series cards ;)

8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    physx is not a big deal eh...., now only ut3 and vantage gets real benefict..., i changed my 7950 gt for 9600gt with only losing 5euro, im glad i did (more than the 2.5x performance xD), bcs my cpu bottlenecks my gfx card in some games, i hope physx balance it a lil :D

but with good cpu i think there is not a big deal for physx on games :/ (well in future cards w ultra advanced physx maybe...)

9. allthatinny

allthatinny New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX factory O/C
    um i have the 8800 GTX and i downloaded some drivers off the net that some what works for the 8800GTX only problem is the PhysX option is stay greyed out BUT i can use the offical PhysX demos, before i couldnt view them as it would of just crash, i also downloaded the NV tweak 1.1 that allows me to turn the PhysX on and off but its still greyed out, anyone know why?

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    its not compatible, i could use the demos too, with physx deactivated, its just cpu processing em :p (i think)

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760

Actually I have read a number of reviews that have suggested that a more powerful CPU is beneficial with PhysX rather then the other way around. In fact, Ageia has been quoted as stating that a Quad core processor should help improve PhysX performance and fps.

Maybe this will change with GPU PhysX but I wouldn’t count on it.

12. Wermin

Wermin Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    CPU just is still far too slow for simulating liquids, proper smoke, huge amount of dynamic objects and stuff like that. GPUs have that power and speed for it, so that's the main reason to do physics on GPU.
    And as it has been already said couple of times in other threads, reason for G80 cores not working with PhysX, atleast at the moment, seems to be that it doesn't meet the required CUDA computing capability standard. PhysX seems to require CUDA computing capability 1.1 atleast, and for GPUs it means G84 and up.

13. allthatinny

allthatinny New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX factory O/C
    hhmm that is also true but why would it work now all of a sudden after i install the 177.40 drivers in my system, if i was just the cpu that is rendering it, it shouldnt crash with offical drivers for 8800GTX.

14. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    they as far i remember promised gpu physx also for 8800 series.
    and higher up.
    8800gtx is from 8800 series also.

15. Wermin

Wermin Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Yes, they did promise to bring PhysX for CUDA enabled GPUs, but with that "small print" "The exact models and availability will be announced in the near future". I surely hope that G80-based cards are included because I own 8800GTX myself, but at this moment the fact is that you need atleast G84-based card to use PhysX.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008

16. rrjwilson

rrjwilson Member

GPU:
    Ok so I've been doing some poking and I'd like to gain some information from you all that have PhysX working as proved by the nVidia PhysX control panel.

Go to your registry editor (Start - Run - regedit - OK)
    Go to here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ageia Technologies
    Above works for XP x64 not sure where it will be for other OSs but it will be in the software part.
    Then could you show a screenshot or type out the values for each entry.
    I believe there may be something in here that may solve why G80 has not been activated but without more data I cannot know a thing and certainly not get help.

Mine has:
    (Default) - REG_SZ - (value not set)
    CPanelDoc - REG_SZ - NVIDIA_PhysX_Help.mht
    CudaDeviceOrdinal - REG_DWORD - 0xffffffff (4294967295)
    HwSelection - REG_SZ -
    PhysX BuildCL - REG_DWORD - 0x00000000 (0)
    PhysX Version - REG_DWORD - 0x00013ae4 (80612)
    PhysXCore Path - REG_SZ - C:\Program Files (x86)\Ageia Technologies

17. rylen

rylen Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    Here's a screenshot of my registry, nvidia physX properties, and nv physX tweaker, take note Hwselection - REG_SZ - GPU. I also tested 3dmark06 and made a comparison with physX enabled.

[​IMG]

Here's my 3dmark06 score with PhysX DISABLED

[​IMG]

This is my score with PhysX ENABLED

[​IMG]

I read somewhere that PhysX is only working in vantage and ut3 so I was really surprised that I gained more than 200 pts (222 pts! to be exact) and reached 14K in 3d mark06 with a single 8800GT! I wonder what my score would be if I have a quad core :evilgrin:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I'm using windows xp 32bit and my Forceware is 177.41 + NVIDIA PhysX 8.06.12 :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  18. NitroBlueUK

NitroBlueUK Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 320MB Running F1 Bios
    (Default) - REG_SZ - (Value Not Set)
    CPanelDoc - REG_SZ - NVIDIA_Physx_Help.mht
    EnableLocalPhysXCore - REG_BINARY - 00 19 66 1a 49 0e
    EpicLocalDLLHack - REG_BINARY - 01 00 00 00
    HwSelection - REG_SZ - GPU
    PhysX BuildCL - REG_DWORD - 0x00000000 (0)
    PhysX Version - REG_DWORD - 0x00013ae4 (80612)
    PhysXCorePath - REG_SZ - C:/Program Files/AGEIA Technologies

I am running vista home premuim 32bit SP1

19. rrjwilson

rrjwilson Member

GPU:
    Is it just me or is the EnableLocalPhysXCore value a little too much like a MAC address?
    Understandable data needs to be shifted to the core so is it SO strange to think that PhysX uses an internal MAC address for communication then lets the GPU decide how to work. It would make programming much easier.

Anyone got a technical view on this perhaps a developer or SDK person?

20. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    but erm arent gpu's not the things that are bottlenecking everything? because any cpu higher than 2.2 ghz is not really nessisarily in games, so why are we stressing the gpu with even more things like physics?