Radeon HD4870 User Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ottoyu34, Jun 28, 2008.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    All the way...and not one artifact in '06! I'm going to get one of those new Arctic Cooling Accelero Turbo (or whatever it's called) to keep my entire system cooler...cause - these things run hot and increase the overall temps. ;)

2. AgentGreen

AgentGreen Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4870
    I went from an 8800GTS (G80) to the HD 4870 and thought the same thing. The shaders seems a lot cleaner if you know what i mean? In Eve Online I'm seeing the metal surfaces of my ships reflecting nebulas where on the 8800 the effect just looked grainy. I'm pretty much seeing things I've never seen before in the games I regularly play.

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I thought the same thing when I went from my 6800GT to a X1900XT. It's hard to quantify but IQ just simply seems to be better on ATI cards.

4. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Dont forget to post some pics with the new cooler , and maybe higher clocks...hehee

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    HD4870 frame buffer bottleneck?

the famous GRID
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I dont think so :p

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    WOW! That IS a bottleneck. I'm returning my HIS HD4870 as soon as I finish typing this! What a crap card! :banana:
    Actually; there IS a bottleneck on my card...the core and memory sliders won't go any further - and I don't even have my AC cooler on it yet. :bigsmile:
    The ATI threads are getting a lot of attention these days...and well deserved! :)

7. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Ordered a 4870 last night - was holding out for a 9800gtx+ but i just couldn't let one of these bad boys get away from me !! - first time i've trodden in the red zone since my x800 a couple of years back - feeling a bit nervous about being back in red again TBH....

8. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    I wish there is a step-up program for ATI cards. Stepping-up to a 4870X2
    ...haha. did u leave your fan at stock speed or turned it up?

9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I just did the Crysis bench and I adamantly profess that this is one GREAT card! :banana:
    --------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot]7/10/2008 8:45:16 AM - Vista 64[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DX9 1900x1200, AA=No AA, Vsync=Disabled, 64 bit test, Windowed[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Demo Loops=2, Time Of Day= 9[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Global Game Quality: Custom[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Custom Quality Values: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]VolumetricEffects=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Texture=VeryHigh[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ObjectDetail=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sound=VeryHigh[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Shadows=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Water=VeryHigh[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Physics=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Particles=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Shading=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]PostProcessing=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]GameEffects=High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ==============================================================[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Play Time: 63.42s, Average FPS: 31.54[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Min FPS: 21.52 at frame 1930, Max FPS: 40.45 at frame 877[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Average Tri/Sec: -29788180, Tri/Frame: -944526[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.97[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]!TimeDemo Run 1 Finished.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Play Time: 57.90s, Average FPS: 34.54[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Min FPS: 20.72 at frame 1945, Max FPS: 42.89 at frame 995[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Average Tri/Sec: -32227740, Tri/Frame: -933065[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.98[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]TimeDemo Play Ended, (2 Runs Performed)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]==============================================================[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Completed All Tests[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7/10/2008 8:45:16 AM - Vista 64[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Run #1- DX9 1900x1200 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Last Average FPS: 34.54[/FONT]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot]7/10/2008 9:05:40 AM - Vista 64[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DX9 1900x1200, AA=8x, Vsync=Disabled, 64 bit test, Windowed[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Demo Loops=2, Time Of Day= 9[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Global Game Quality: High[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ==============================================================[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Play Time: 90.83s, Average FPS: 22.02[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Min FPS: 15.70 at frame 137, Max FPS: 26.34 at frame 1752[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Average Tri/Sec: -20302504, Tri/Frame: -922069[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.99[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]!TimeDemo Run 1 Finished.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Play Time: 83.36s, Average FPS: 23.99[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Min FPS: 15.70 at frame 137, Max FPS: 27.17 at frame 1747[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Average Tri/Sec: -21808316, Tri/Frame: -908994[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.01[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]TimeDemo Play Ended, (2 Runs Performed)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]==============================================================[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Completed All Tests[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7/10/2008 9:05:40 AM - Vista 64[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Run #1- DX9 1900x1200 AA=8x, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 23.99[/FONT]

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, it didn't seem to like the AA much...so what? It's not even necessary. Besides; brand new card/drivers; I did the bench using an old Crysis Demo that wasn't even reinstalled for my new rig; so, it's an old installation.
    Bottom line is: This card will run Crysis at very high settings and decent frame rates! :bigsmile:
    Okay, AMD...I forgive you! You've redeemed yourself, magnificently! :banana:
    I just downloaded the "Grid" demo and it looks fantastic...only problem is - I can't steer the damn car - it keeps spinning out on me. I guess I'll have to do some configuring. ;)
    BTW: NCIX has some NICE deals on the HD4870s ATM; but, you'd better hurry. These things are out the door faster than they came in! :bigsmile:
    I thought the 3870 was a great card (and it is); but, the 4870 has twice the power! These are good times! :cheers:

10. Jarrstin

Jarrstin Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 CF
    What an awesome card. It plays Crysis on High Settings with 2x AA at around 30fps. Game is starting to finally look like it should. If I could get one or two more of these with a new mb and I'd be set.

And wow, I've got a story to tell. So this morning I was playing around with how high I can overclock. I got it stable at 860/1100, though to be honest I never did try pushing the memory. I felt this was a good base to keep it at for 24/7 use since it was still running very cool and I didn't have artifacts after 8 hours of testing. So my bright ass decides that I should edit the bios of the card to default at those speeds, since that's how I usually do my overclocking since I don't have to mess with it later on. Unfortunately this didn't turn out well as I ended up corrupting the bios. I just spent $300 on a paperweight, I thought. But luckily after several dozen blind attempts to correct what I had done, I was finally able to restore the bios to their default settings.

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Don't be! This card rocks. :banana:

Best card i've bought to date!

BTW I heard ATi/AMD will be releasing a 1gig version of the 4870 next month.

12. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
  13. plato

plato Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    4870 & 8800 Gt

Well, it seems these cards could not work together.. Of course I'm not talking about any connection between them..

But when I connect both cards, Vista (x64) says, there is a second VGA card and it is disabled (8800 GT).

So there is a yellow exclamation on 8800 GT and of course no such Physx acceleration or CUDA :(

It would be great if the card could be recognized only as PhysX/CUDA capable card.

Well, whatever...

14. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Its likely that PhysX will run on 48XX cards in the future. We'll see...

Probably your 8800GT/4870 might work together.

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Its been week since i got my HD4870, didnt wanted to rush with opinion but here it is , whole truth how it was changing to ATI from nVidia after 10 years ( was it 12 ? :O).

Sold my 8800GTS for 130$ yay, 190$ for upgrade total.
    First noticable thing : Box is VERY small , which is good , who likes big boxes[packing]( Asus 8800 series anyone ?).
    I didnt uninstaled nVidia drivers before i pluged HD4870, wanted to see what happens :D. Well nothing happend Vista booted i instaled 8.6 Cata + hot fix.
    And big suprise came , when i launched first games ( WoW, Crysis,UT3, GRID ), IQ is WAY better than on my OLD G80, textures are sharp and clear to eye, i was supried by the fact and all driver (CCC) setttings were on default.
    Noticed the card is hot when playing ( close to 95C!!)
    edited FAN Profile set it to 30% now it tops at 84C full load ( temperature of my 8800GTS :D).
    ""zero"" problems whatsover after 1 week, no bugs, no artifacts
    I can only recommend this card.
    3DMarks performace is quite disapoiting if i have to be honest :D i score 15k in 06 , and i scored 12k with 8800GTS.
    but performace in games is much higher.

16. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    I got my sapphire 4870 yesterday... nice card... well built no problems with sata connectors as with the 8800gt... I will first clean my case reapply thermal grase and than fire it up... as I am new to ati my last ati card was rage 3d pro 2x :) could you help me with ati drivers I have to install ati catalyst drivers and hotfix or hotfix is enought as i see that the file size is nearly the same same as driver package

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Izikog, i downloaded Hotfix from AMD site, it includes drivers.
    Evrything is working perfectly!.

18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    thanks

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Gona try beta 8.7 today, however i dont see a vaild reason for that since evrything for now is working.

20. Plainview25

Plainview25 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Folks, I'm thinking of buying this card. Is my rig good enough to run it properly?
    Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 935 3.2 Ghz
    MB: MSI P965 Neo
    RAM: 3GB DDR2 800
    PSU: Blue Storm II 500W