AMD / ATI getting BOTH PhysX and CUDA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by RamGuy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Source

No, it is not a port or a mod…Radeon cards CAN support CUDA, officially

So AMD / ATI seems to be getting BOTH PhysX and CUDA support?
    Why on earth would anyone buy a nVIDIA graphic card now?

Why to pick HD48xx:

- Smaller in size (physically)
    - Create less noise and heat (at least if you fix the HD4850 fan bug)
    - No stressing the CPU as much as GeForce cards while doing other things than gaming like video and things like that..
    - You get hell a lot of performance for your money
    - AMD / ATI Catalyst drivers seems to become more stable than the GeForce drivers?
    - Consuming less power on heavy load?
    - Better anti-aliasing visuals
    - Able to run multiply cards (Crossfire) on decent motherboards (Intel P35/P45/X38/X48 and on upcoming Intel Nehalem X58)

Why to pick the GTX2xx:

- PhysX support
    - CUDA support

Hmm, are there any other advantages with the GTX2xx series?
    Ah, I forgot.. AMD / ATI are getting both PhysX and CUDA support, along with Havoc so you can simply scratch that entire GTX2xx list, because as I currently look at it, there are simply no advantages for the GTX2xx cards, and they even cost a hell lot more than the Radeon HD48xx cards?

The HD48xx are even better suited for overclocking with their 55nm core?

Bottom line is, nVIDIA really got themselves screwed this time.
    And the HD4870X2 (and HD4850X2?) are coming already in August, and are going to be cheaper than 1x GTX280??

nVIDIA really needs to put themselves together here, or they will fall behind.

I can't really see any reason / advantages by getting a more expensive GTX2xx card instead of a HD48xx card? Can you?

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Hahaha...
    I am a big nv fan. I am not proud that I bought a 4870 in this time. (but I do not have money for GTX-280 and I coud get it sooner and cheaper than a GTX-260)
    I think that AMD will fight against this PhysX wrapper. (They do not want support nvidia's API) And that is one thing that nvidia helps NGO to make this wrapper but I do not think that they will offer full CUDA support for Radeon VGAs.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I don't think they will because in the end it's still advantageous to have physx support, regardless who's done it.

ATi should just sit back and see how it pans out. It's highly likely havoc will also be implemented in hardware on nvidia cards, just a matter of time.

Cross-platform compatibility is a must to make it easier for devs regardless of whether physx or havoc physics comes out on top!

4. tux_topo

tux_topo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB nonQmx
    That's true. But if it work, there will not be a reason to choose one manufacturer. And for the list of pros for nvidia card's, is the real 3d linux support (one of the real reason's because i always get a nvidia card)

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Nah, as AMD / ATI is going open-source should make it possible to get better Linux support with their cards than with nVIDIA

6. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    LOL, you forgot the lack of DX10.1 support in nVidia hardware and the announced support for DX10.1 by a number of prominent game developers.

Even still this isn’t a doom and gloom situation for nVidia. ATI is actually worth 30% less now then when AMD bought it and they really needed to improve their situation. I really hope this does it for them and ATI (AMD) can win back some market share. nVidia can afford a misstep here and there and has already been in similar situations. It is rumored that nVidia is supposedly already working on a DX10.1 release for late 2008 possibly early 2009 (leaked roadmaps) and price cuts of existing GTX200 series cards is eminent.

Anyway, nVidia PhysX on ATI (AMD) cards as well as on nVidia card is a good thing for everyone.

7. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
  8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    "Format wars" is bad thing.

I hope both nvidia and AMD will be runing both physx and havoc.

please make it happen.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The upcoming 10bit panels are coming if not around already, and the gtx series suppose to be the only cards which will support them for the time being..

10. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3

What are the 10 bit panels you are referring to. Just curious this is the first iv'e heard of it.
    :question:

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    From the title (AMD / ATI getting BOTH PhysX and CUDA?) it sounds like you think it's weird or possibly outrages that ATI is getting both PhysX and CUDA, right? You do know PhysX cannot run without CUDA, don't you? So that's no wonder...

12. lech

lech New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte/hd4870/512
    if i have 2 PCIX-slots x16, can i use ati hd4870 as a primery gpu and a gf9800gtx as a phisic procesor????????????????????????????????

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    buy a dammed aegia card? im sure some1 has em on ebay, or some shop :)

14. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760

What???

If ATI (AMD) gets proper PhysX support why not just go with a cheap card for PhysX? I mean you can buy an 8400GS for like $25.99 A/R. Or better still just stick with a low-end HD 3000 series card like the 3450 for PhysX.