Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. hfelsh

hfelsh New Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB
    What the...!?!?!?!? On page 4, it shows them running ATITool 0.27 to do overclocking on a Sapphire Radeon 4850! :gape:

But there is no "0.27", as the ATITool download site shows the latest released version is 0.26, which doesn't work with the 4850. :cry:

BUT, I found 0.27 beta 4 on Softpedia, and just installed it.

http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/c4fac88221dc3def9f7f45384a46ede1/4872adc1/100008466/software/TWEACK/ATITool_0.27b4.exe

It works! :banana: Sweet! Dunno why TechpowerUp.com doesn't have it, but Softpedia does.

2. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    You can get 0.27 beta 3 on TPU. I don't believe beta 4 is being worked on at TPU, I've never heard a mention of it there. Also beta 4 doesn't necessarily work on 48xx series, other than artifact testing. The AMD GPU clock tool does work for overclocking on the 48xx series, however if you set your fan in a CCC profile you end up losing that when you overclock over what CCC allows.

3. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

i got this xml hack to work twice........ now it doesnt spin my fan up at all , it jsut sits there under load at 107c......

=|

sometimes the fan bursts in speed, ive tried creating/deleting profiles, etc etc. nothing.

guess ill be getting that new artic cooler for it :p not like the thing freezes its just i cant stomach seeing 100c+ haha

anyone else having the profile stop working/ fan stop spinning past 7% ??

ps: overdrive is grayed out for me, ati tray tools wont load. amd oc tool doesnt work :p

yey 8.7beta also

4. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Check the video driver date to see if windows kicked it. If overdrive is grayed out you have a service crash and or a driver problem. The .xml fix is wide spread now and there are ZERO reported problems. If all you changed in your xml is what was listed, your problems are not related to the edit.

Try going to programs and in the CCC folder launch "Restart Runtime" then try to open CCC. If it crashes do the following.
    1. a manual reinstall of the driver only,restart runtime.
    TEST
    2.Delete the files in this folder. C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI,restart runtime.
    TEST
    3.Remove and reinstall CCC

Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008

5. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    i got my Saphire 4850 today, 45degrees on idle on 45% fan speed:)!!

6. Zippy911

Zippy911 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Line script for second card in Crossfire?

Nice code fix. Like others here, it reduced my temps by 15C idle and 25C+ load.

Q: I edited my profiles of XML in the ACE folder using your script editing. Where is the line for the second card in Crossfire mode?

-Zip

7. KaoticS

KaoticS New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    It is not there at all

8. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Ok so I got two 4850,s to go in crossfire how do I fix the fan issue ? its on a m3a32-mvp deluxe mobo ?thanks much

9. fuzion3153

fuzion3153 Guest

Problem executing the Fan Profile

:::::EDIT::::::

Fixed =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  10. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    For crossfire, make sure the crossfire option is turned on before making and saving your profile, you then should see two sets of fan code in your XXXXX.XML file.

For those that can't find there .xml, Remember it is not the "profile.xml" it will have the same name you entered in CCC when you made your profile. Search "Name-entered.xml" and be sure to check the search hidden files option.
    More info can be found here,
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=266747
    Good luck

11. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Hi all I have two 4850,s ready to go in CF on my ASUS M3A32-MVP DELUXE..Is there any other way I can do it with this mobo to cool the cards down ? I allso have a antec 900 case will this cool it down enouph?...thanks..Steve:3eyes:

12. Zippy911

Zippy911 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570

Got it! THANK YOU BRETWARE!!!!!!!!!

Just to clarify for a few others that can't find it:

1. Open CCC, enable Crossfire (menu on left has it listed).

2. Go to the Overdrive section: a) adjust clock/memory speeds to where you like it. b) In the middle of that overdrive window, click on the drop menu to switch to the second card, adjust to same speed as you just did for card 1.

3. Go to profile tab at the top, click manage profiles, and then add a profile name (I did this 650x1050x40fan) - save.

4. Open the profile you just made in the folder as described earlier by Bretware. Open with notepad or wordpad and change the lines in Bretware's instructions. When you scroll down to the lines that need changing, there will be one paragraph for the first card and then Farther down on the page you will see the same paragraph again - this is for the second card and you need to change the same words as you did earlier on that page. I put value="40" for the profile that I made earlier in step 3. Then just save and close.

5. Go back to CCC overdrive, in the profiles tab click "activate and choose you new profile. You should see the temps dropping. You can also change profiles using the tray ATI icon at the bottom right of your screen. My profile loaded to the settings I wanted even after several reboots - just testing it.

At 680/1080Mhz, and 45% fan speeds, my cards now read 49-51C (62-65C before) at idle and 58-62 at full load (78-82C before). :thumbup:

Thanks,

Zippy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  13. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Thx for trick, got my 4870 today and set this up immediately. Went from about 75c to 47c with 35% fan. 50% and even 40% were way too loud, much much louder than my 3870 running at 50% fan. The default setting on my card was 18% btw.

14. cavity

cavity Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD4850 512MB D
    you are awesome dude. my car was 80 celsius at idle and high 90 when under full load. i changed my fan to 50% and its still quiet but the idle temp went to 58 and full load is now 70. thanks so much
    btw clocks are 690 and 1153

15. cavity

cavity Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD4850 512MB D
    this should be sticky

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Does this fix work with the 4870 as well?

17. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    I use catalyst 8.7 beta and it seem not working i use gpu-z to know that, what tool do you use to know temp and fan speed and which catalyst work with this hacK fine ??? TIA

UPDATE :done it is working now fine idle at 51 c at 40% fan

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  18. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    ALSO my gpu clocks are 500/750 why that ?? is not it supposed to be 625/993 at default what should i do ??? help please TIA

UPDATE :done now i know this is 2d settings and those clocks for 3d applications ,thanks to fasteddy

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  19. DaShoota

DaShoota Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD4850
    Hey guys, I have a zalman vf900 on my old 7900gs. Will it fit on the 4850? Do I need to mod anything?

BTW thanks Bretware for that script, its a nice temporary solution until I get an aftermarket cooler on it.

20. RS11

RS11 New Member

GPU:
    visiontek HD 4850
    Auto

The temp fix is great!!
    But!!
    How do you return things to automatic again?