Calling all drivers under 20

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TroM, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    How £200?
    How old are you?

2. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    They will work out that you are the main driver, especially if you crash into something very expensive like a Ferrari. They are not stupid, I know many people who have tried this and it has always turned out bad for them when trying to claim. Just insure it under your own name. My insurance was £1000 for my first year and then my second year was £450. I turned 21, had 1 years experience and 1 years no claims.

3. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    If you have the money, put a good down payment on the car. When I had my car, my insurance was about 200 but this is when I was still in school.

4. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    you really have to think of the long term-

1) lying can **** you up if it goes wrong, and chances are, it will

2) if you go on your parents policy you get no no-claims bonus which will screw you later on.

i was 1200 quid (over $2000 ) when i got my firt car (diesel pug 205 wiith a grand total of 43.5 bhp) now, 5 years later, no claims bonus (4 years) and a 138 bhp skoda fabia vrs is £400 fully comprehensive.

basically the money you try to save now will cost you more later on.

5. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    If your on a policy as a named driver- the insurance should cover you- it will hit your premiums bad- the car is registerd in his name- so technicaly it is his- when i pass my test i am swiching policy as premiums rocket- i am driving with my parents at all time curently as i am on a provisional license

6. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    Well you can be put on as a second driver and still claim no claims bonus's

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Indeed but you have to remember that the polices price is worked out on the basis of who drives the car the most. If you've said that the cars primary driver is the guy with 20 years no claims and the guy with no driving experience will only use it once in a while, i.e is the second driver then the price you pay is calculated on that fact. If it turns out that the guy who's the second driver is actually driving the car all the time then they should be named as the primary driver and should have to pay.

The truth is I don't care about weather or not that person is fully insured or if they can cover the cost of crashing their car. If however MR X crashes his crappy £500 Corsa in to the back of my car and then can't pay to get it repaired because he lied on his insurance, well that's when we have a big problem.

8. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I have a v8 8cyl 5.7Lit Dodge Dakota 1996. Costs 140 a month for the best coverage. lol Its the same price my mother pays for her 2007 BMW which is a lot smaller.

9. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    It doesn't work that way in the States, where I am assuming the original poster resides. No claims bonuses and safe driver discounts are attached to your driver's license/state record and not to the policy itself. Being underwritten on your parents' policy simply results in a group policy discount so it's virtually always the way to go.

10. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    insurance is a rip off end of. if you dont really need a car then dont, but if you are willing to pay the money then do so. luxury at a young age is availible but comes at a price.

11. Pete1989

Pete1989 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4870
    im 18 and have a 2003 3dr Punto

1 Years insurance is £1300 :O

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    It would be nice to know where the OP lives so that people can give accurate advice. Insurance obviously works differently in different countries. It does annoy me when people assume everyone here is American as it's not even an American site.

13. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

yeah, sorry to annoy you. LOL. I generally assume posters here are not American, as most aren't. The OP did, however, use the term "...different from state to state and zip to zip...". Unless he's referring to nation-states it's very likely the OP is American.

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well spotted, you're in the minority.

15. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    You think so? I guess I hadn't noticed that before. To anyone who has been around this site for a while it's fairly obvious that Brits are the vast majority here I would think?

16. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    what you really need is an alfa romeo 75 in venezuelan racing colours, cheap to buy and dead reliable.

17. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    One previous owner, very careful driver. Contact J.Clarkson...

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol may need a little restoration work.

I also assumed the OP wasn't American.

19. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    One more question to the people who pay their own insurance...

Is it better to pay for the whole year or per month...And how much is interest if I pay per month cause I can't really drop 2 grand for the year at once.

20. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    GTIR? Those look like some serious fun, I'd love to try one.

Having just gone through this very same situation, I recommend the same as most everyone else, though I don't practise what I preach.
    I bought a 300ZX TT, under my name, but using the same insurance agent as my parents, $365-ish a year, which is not bad at all.
    Unless I get a moving violation (Speeding, ect) in which case it goes up to $980-ish a year.

Our agent is a longtime friend of the families, so I'm very luck in that regard.