Calling all drivers under 20

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TroM, Jul 5, 2008.

1. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Time to get my first official car...But with insurance rates so high for teens (I'm 17) I still don't really know what the best car/insurance combo is... (Done hours of painful research). Anyway my question is (for anyone under 20) what car do you drive and how much does insurance cost for it? I know it's different from state to state and zip to zip but I would actually like to get a basic idea.

2. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    What I'm planning on doing is insuring the car in my dad's name and just have me as an extra driver. After a few years the cost goes down significantly so then you can make it in your name. As for the car, it'll be a Nissan Pulsar. So long as the car isn't seen as a 'sports car' then the costs wont be super insane.

Costs (online estimate only, no car yet) range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand depending on the company, when done in my name only. It stays in the hundreds when it's in my dad's name. This is full insurance, not third party only.

3. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    well i had a 240sx.. insurance was high as hell, i don't reccomend it.. or go as a liablity, get a small car like a civic or something

4. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm 17 too and I plan on doing what Pudding Wagon is doing. The car I drive is an Acura Integra GSR "Sports car" so insurance is more than usual. :(

5. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Standard Cab

St. Louis MO @ own residence

State Farm- 6 month Premium @ Full coverage = $920

6. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    QFT. Get anything that doesn't have Z, GT, X, Turbo, STi, etc. attached to the model name. Other things that inflate insurance are:

two doors instead of four
    size of the engine
    safety features
    sometimes likelihood the vehicle will roll (bad SUV designs)
    sometimes how often the car model is stolen
    sometimes how often the car model is in accidents

It varies some from city to city especially, and can vary immensely from one insurance company to the next, so shop around.

Basically, your best bet for low insurance is a nice, boring four-door family sedan with a four cylinder engine and a good crash test rating that isn't stolen as often as other cars.

xxxeditxxx: One last remark on car insurance. Buy in cash, and buy just liability insurance rather than comprehensive/collision, which is required if you carry a loan or lease. It's a fraction of the cost.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  7. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    I have a 1992 vauxhall coursa turbo deisle- its cheep to run (vegtable oil ftw!)- has a verry high MPG and cost me about £200 to insure- winner

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    wow...in romania the car insurance is raising only with the engine...a bigger engine a bigger insurance..i have a daewoo espero 100hp, 1.8l engine my insurance costs me almost 200$/year..

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    www.confused.com thats where i got my insurance from it gets you a good deal

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    First car you want to insure it in your name not your parents, but you should add your mother if possible to the policy as it'll lower the premium. The reason you want to insure it in your name is because that way you will build up your no claims bonus (I assume you have that over there... and over there I assume is the USA - maybe fill in your profile?)

As for recommendations, you can't really recommend much for insurance since there are so many variables and what works for one person won't work for another. But ther are a few thing:

If you have any of the insurance search engines over there like we have over there then use those as they'll check around all the major companies for you save filling multiple forms out.

If your first car is going to be something cheap you should go for third party insurance rather than comprehensive. It'll be a fair bit cheaper. Otherwise the extra amount you pay will be more than the insurers will give you for your car should you crash it.

Again if the cars cheap you will want a small excess. Excess is the initial amount you pay on any claim, the insurers will pay the rest. Though having a high excess may mean cheaper insurance, it will be a pain if you need to claim.

Limited mileage policy perhaps.. the less miles you say you're gonna do the cheaper it may be.

As for car itself you basically want something an old person would drive unless you want to pay a fortune. You want something that isn't likely to attract attention, something that isn't fast, something reasonably mundane.

Little point letting you know my insurance costs as I'm in a different country.

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    DO NOT DO THIS.

Insurance companies are wise to this, if you have a crash they will try and find out weather it is you or your Dad who drives the car the majority of the time. If it's you they have grounds to refuse payment on the policy.

From day one always be honest with insurance companies. Tell them everything and tell them the truth. Remember they will, and do, look for every possible reason to refuse a policy. So from the word go don't give them a reason to refuse it.

Yeah it sucks and yeah you'll end up paying a high price to drive around in something cr*p but that's the way it works. Build up the no claims then move on.

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Umm, if they add him as an extra driver then what is the problem? It'd be impossible to tell who drives it more, unless some idiot tells them.

Anyways, general rules for car insurance costs are this. The older the car, the less the car is worth, and the higher the safety rating the lower the rate. Also, taking drivers Ed and a defensive driving course usually lower it as well. And many insurance companies offer discounts for good grades.

13. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    I am on my dads and its my car-if you do crash you may as well just pay damages rather than clame on insurance anyway- at 17 its much cheaper

14. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    2005 subaru forrestor is about $100 a month

15. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Thanks for the replies...

The problem though is that my
    Mom's + Dad's insurance = $863 a year

Adding me as an extra driver to their policy = $2456 a year
    With all discounts^

All I have left to check is Geico...Other than that I'm screwed.
    Maybe it's time for a new company....

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    To be honest with you, what did you expect? Insurance your age is fecking expensive. No two ways about it.

As said in my earlier post though start your own policy with you as the main driver (+ mum as named) and build up your no claims so that your insurance will go down a good amount each year. My insurance halfed in the second year.

Yeah it may be more expensive to start with, but it's worth it as without any NCB it's going to be mega expensive when you want to insure your own car later on.

There must be thousands of car insurance companies over there, you'll need to do a lot of form filling and phoning around to get a good deal.

17. Eric1987

Eric1987 Banned

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Wow I'd be ****ed with my LS1 then.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That's exactly the sort of thing that will get a policy refused. The good thing is that most 17 year olds drive cr*ppy cars that are cheaper to scrap than it is to get them fixed but what happens if you crash that car in to the back of some ones £50,000 Porsche? Do you have the cash to pay for repairs to it if the insurance turn round and refuse to pay because you lied about who the primary drive is?

19. FritzC6

FritzC6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb alpha dog
    In Belgium its almost 2000 euro"s a year i think for basic insurance if you are under 23

20. Chris85

Chris85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD5800
    well, i'm 22, drive a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 petrol and pay close to 3 grand a year (in euro's).
    that's without taxes, just insurance

reason is that i'm not 26 yet, which sucks donkey ass