GTX 280/260 overclocks thread

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Rodman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    I think he doesn't realize that your memory speed is 2x the setting.

2. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    Hey guys, with the new Nvidia control panel performance settings for overclocking, how do I get it to keep my settings? I tried changing the default profile to my higher clock speeds and saving it but after I reboot it just goes back to factory settings.

Edit: Never mind i forgot to tell it to load the profile on windows startup

After I apply my changed settings in the control panel I get a blank message popup that just says yes/no anybody know what thats supposed to be? lol

Also anyone know how I can make the system monitor start with windows without it getting blocked from starting by UAC (without the obvious solution of disabling uac)?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  3. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    i overclocked my zotac gtx260 at 650/1400/2500...seems pretty stable,after some tests.

4. Victor Morales

Victor Morales Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 580
    Well this is what i have mine set to.... I have the regular version of this card What do you guys think i should try increasing..

[​IMG]

I was playing crysis for an hour and the temps went to 79c with the fan set to 75

5. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    I noticed this as well but it changes depending on what I 'test'. If I use a program with lots AA the memory makes a larger impact. If I bench something like FEAR, shaders seem to make the biggest diff. I notice a larger impact with core clocks in Vantage than in 06. Also it seems one has to get the right 'balance' between shader and core clocks. Like 700 core and 1450 shaders may yeild less results than 650 and 1550 shaders. I just lock the slider in Precision and look at how the shaders react to the core speed and try to keep that 'balance' as I overclock them. Though right now I'm simply trying to find the highest stable clock for each and at that point I will blend them together for the bast overall performance.

6. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Start by finding your highest stable memory clock. After that start on the shaders and when you get to the highest stable clock you can fire up Precision and start working on the core. Lock the shader and core clock and move the core slider till you get to the shaders max overclock and write down what the core clock was at. From there back down the core and start testing it. If the core stays stable up to your max shader clock, run a solid banch and write down the results. Now begine clocking the core higher wile keeping the shaders 'held back' at the max stable over clock. keep benching to make sure your not losing performance untill your core reaches the max stable limit. Then take the best mix of the 2 and you have your best overclock.

7. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    After I agree to start windows with the new overclock I never get another. Are you running Nvidia performace utility at the same time as Precision? You should close Precision after setting the clocks before you mess with Nvidia and vice versa.

You can't get around UAC with system monitor becouse it needs admin rights to operate. Just put it in your quick launch start menu and fire it up when you need to. There is no real reason to load this program up all the time anyway imo as I use it from time to time for testing.

8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I need some water cooling...I know my card goes higher, but if I clock higher, heat kicks in after a few minutes of play...then artifacts. :nerd:

9. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    Hey Rodman im not using precision just the nvidia performance control panel. I managed to sort it out now though.

Just a heads up incase people dont know this already, with the gt200 series the core clock cant be any more than the shader clock divided by 2. So for example if you have 1400 shader clock the max core you could have would be 700. If you set the core higher than shader / 2 it automatically runs the core down to 1/10 of what you set it to lol.

10. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    So can you get the Nvidia OCing tool over 724 core? Wonder if thats why it stopped on me at 724, not sure though as i will have to test this my self. Interesting info, thanx;) I did not know this yet my clocks are 752/1506/2622, perfect 'fit' lol. I got there by trial and error though, had you mentioned this sooner I could have done things alot faster:3eyes:

After tons of testing and BSODs, lock ups ect...I found 752/1506/2622 (still testing stability for 2650 memory) to be the best performer with great stability. The next good jump in performance is 752/1547/2622 (this jumps Vantage from 11865 to 12067 gpu score) but she artifacts as temps approach 60c. Better water cooling would make those increased shader clocks stable. The core is a no go around 775 and a volt mod is needed for more, plus better cooling since shader clocks would need an increase as well. Memory tops out around 2700, volt mod needed here as well.

Thanx again mattrxcool and if you know of anything else let us know;)

11. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    I'm going to test out these clocks myself as maybe coming down to 742 core will give the shaders the stability I need as 1547 is what I want to run.

12. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 670/2500/1458
    sry for late reply

Hello and sorry for my late reply, it is core / memory / shader

13. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    No go, it still begins to artifact after awile, I also don't get a boost in performance as with 750 core and 1547 shader. I also noticed the clocks all work like the old 8800gtx did. Like if you set 1506 it's actually higher, yet does not change in value till 1547. Core and memory do the same thing.

14. Gaz32

Gaz32 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX260 AMP ED
  15. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    EVGA GTX 280 (from step-up). Maximum results (stock voltages and cooling for now):

Core clock: 712.8 MHz (18.4%)
    Shader clock: 1458 MHz (12.5%)
    Memory clock: 1377 MHz (24.4%)

The shader clock is the only low-overclocking and in fact it bottlenecks the core clock as well. I can't set the core clock higher than 712.8 MHz without increasing the shader clock to 1512 MHz (unstable). The tru core clock limit will remain unknown to me (flashing the BIOS with different clocks did not get around this issue either)

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/739/280stockoccz8.jpg

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Was pretty hot today so the following might improve yet.

Core: 715 mhz
    Memory: 2550 mhz
    Shader: 1430 mhz

Idle: 50c
    max load oc: 85c
    fan: auto

Did anyone find a way to overclock the core without being dragged by the shaders? I've already pushed the core asfar as I possibly can with the shader limitation.

My core's limited to 713 mhz due to the shader, I know it goes higher because in xp you get the auto oc option in ntune and it gives me a safe oc of 735 mhz on the core, and that's generaly a conservative estimate so it should go alot higher.

I have to enter 1430 mhz in ntune/evga for shaders to get the max possible core.

17. Garnet&Black

Garnet&Black Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Core: 700
    Shaders: 1400
    Memory: 1250

I use those clocks in games - stock MSI OC of 650/1300/1150 normally. Under 75C when loaded by furmark for both sets of clocks.

18. Hollow27

Hollow27 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core216@FTW+
    EVGA GTX 260 SC

Linked and actual clocks
    CORE:702
    SHADER:1512
    MEMORY:2484

I think it will go higher,when i got it i ran 3dmark and some cod4 to burn it in for 30min. and then i started some mild overclocking and temps were kinda high and i couldn't get past like 1460 something on the shaders and 670's on the core without artifacting in ati tool.I left and came back an hour later and i guess that thick stock thermal goo settled because temps were alot better and it overclocked to where its at now.I'm seriously considering takeing it apart and putting some as5 on the core as i think it will go higher.The only reason i even got the superclocked card was because all the other evga cards were out of stock at tigerdirect and i'm happy i did.:)

19. HellasVagabond

HellasVagabond Member

GPU:
    GTX260@ 702/1458/2376
    The ones who have OCed an GTX260 via BIOS have you checked if your speeds are really the ones you flashed ? If not check it with GPU-Z or EVEREST to confirm cause out of 2 GTX260 cards i have , 1 wont flash no matter what i do. The flash will say completed succesfully but the speeds remain the same when checked.

20. Nano74

Nano74 Member

GPU:
    MSI 280GTX OC EDITION
    Here my oc on 3dmark, no t bad, and i ll go fore more!

[​IMG]

see ya