Why stop at 5.1 surround? :D

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by MoosePower, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well my next project includes ubifying my sound system. I emailed the ht omega tech support and they informed me that two of their cards can run in unison. Meaning instead of 5.1 surround I can beef it up to 10.2! Anyway, I am way into loud good sounding music, and feeling the destruction around me in fps games. It adds a whole new dimension when you can physically feel the sound waves. :) So my plan is to buy another ht omega claro, and pair it with another set of z-5300, which I'll buy of craigslist.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Most PCI soundcards can run in the same system. I have had up to 3 cards running in my system and I have friends with 4,5 oundcards operating in the same system. If you want to FEEL the sound waves just turn up the speaker system or get better speakers. You don't need "10.2" for that.
    Also, truth be told this won't be true "10.2" -if there is such a thing this will be two sets of 5.1 you will either have them running at the same time...Even this I am unsure how as windows default to ONE card for playback. Movies, games. ALL one card. Sorry, Wish I had better news for you.

3. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    10 satellites and two subwoofers; the manufacturers have now found another way to suck every dollar out of consumers, by pretending that 7.1 is not enough and getting you to buy 12 speakers! lol

What next, 20.6?

What happened to 3D surround virtualization out of two speakers? The Technology is there with Dolby Headphones and CMSS3D, there is no reason why u cant emulate 12 virtual speakers out of a 5.1 virtual speaker system, let alone a 2.1 speaker system! lol

4. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    20.6? With that many subwoofer, you can create localized earthquake

Seriously, why do you need that may speaker? For me stereo is more than enough, since my main purpose is just music and gaming. And I agree with anything ROBSCIX said

5. Vesian

Vesian Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I used to have a Creative 7.1 speaker system, and I really can't tell the difference between a 5.1 and a 7.1 system. I think that fact alone is what has kept speaker amounts from spiraling out of control.

6. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
  7. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I only have two pci slots.. So I'll have to stop at 10.2.. :( The email from tech support wasn't too specific, so I emailed them back. As long as they can both run the same audio stream I'm good.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    OK, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Under normal day to day operations...there really isn't a easy way to get two different cards to access the say outgoing audio streams. Friends and I both usually use more then 1 card sometimes as many as 4 but that is for recording purposes to give use more inputs and outputs.
    You may be able to get the two cards to play the same audio streams and then pipe that to some active speakers but I think it would be easier to just tap the output from the first card and route that to two different sets of speakers...really it would be close to what you want.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Wouldnt Veblac do it, if you was to plug two diffent sets into both cards. but then again it just be sending out the same audio thru both.

10. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

years ago i did similar setup when i hooked up 2 x 2.1 klipsch promedia @ mx300 + 5.1 digital midiland @ mx25

analog+digital in harmony

9.3 soundelicious :)

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    seriously.... why try for "10.2" for the sole fact that you like loud, good sounding music? it'll still be 5.1 surround..... just with two speakers playing on each channel. Why not just sell your current set of Z-5300's on Craigslist and buy a set of Z-5500's? can almost guarantee you that it'll sound better than one or two sets of Z-5300's. Plus, you won't have to worry about having two sets of speakers to get the music as loud as you want. With the Auzentech control panel's speaker volume set to 100%..... i rarely ever turn my Z-5500's up past 3 or 4 bars of volume..... and it goes up to 20 bars.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I suggest the same. Sell your current system and buy a system with mores power. This way you can run louder speaker that will give you the effects you want instead of trying to run two lower powered systems. 1 card, 1 loud set of 5.1's....much better way to go.

13. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    I don't think you ever understood.
    There is no 10.2.
    The first number represents the amount of channels that are available with proper decoding and processing. For example, the Sunfire pre-amp they have available does have 9.1 processing. The extra 2x surrounds over a normal 7.1 can be assigned to ceiling or front span.

10 Speakers and 2 'subs' in this case do not make a true 10.2 setup. This is just over done 5.1

Get rid of the all in one speakers packages and get something more worthwhile.