PC Gamers GTX 280 review, and its barely faster than the 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rich_Guy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    If I had the 9800gx2, I'd probably consider it that way more, but seeing as I don't and I also don't like the issues with Dual GPU's, a single GPU with around the same performance as 2 GPUs is a different consideration for me and others in my situation.

Now you're getting it. Not everyone looks at any product the same. But that doesn't make them or you wrong.

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Is this your first go-round at comparing ATI specs on paper with their real life performance numbers?

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  4. Andrew Marks

Andrew Marks New Member

GPU:
    XFX XXX/GTX280/1024MB x2
    280GTX Review

[​IMG]

5. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    I have to agree. If Nvidia lowers the price to $499 that for me that seem like a great deal.

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Is it just me or are many of the subscribers to this thread all about their pride? I mean, really.. "now who looks stupid".. what is this a competition? Grow the hell up some of you who cares what other people think about what personal card you purchase for YOURSELF. And then flagrently come on here and act like a 10 year old. Its embarassing for you...

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    of course most of you have 8800 or higher series cards. i dont particulary think it was ever assumed the common enthusiast would upgrade every generation and half generation. i'm sure someone like me with a 7900gtx is likely to see alot more benefit for a $600 or whatever card than most of you, even if its not all that i'll probably get one but depends on what games are out that i want...so far nothing atm

9. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I totally agree. And if it overclocks decently at all...it will really open up.

10. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This card looks really interesting to me.

Like most of you, I held off purchasing a 9 series card. I've had my 8800GTX since October 2006 and when the 8800Ultra came out, I waited, when the 9800GTX came out, I waited, when the 9800GX2 came out, I waited some more..

I've waited a long while now (Almost 2 years) for a card that could run my games on highest settings at 2560x1600. For the most part I can play COD4, UT3, and TF2 at that resolution with all the settings full blown and still retain 60+ FPS (Except on COD4, around 40+ on that). But I've wanted to play Crysis on High on my rig. At the moment I can only play it on medium at native resolution (With no AA or AF). And even that has some low dips.

For me this GTX280 looks attractive. Because I'm coming from that 8800GTX. But for those of you who didn't wait and bought a 9800GX2 in the interim I can see why you may be a little disgruntled that the GTX280 doesn't blow your cards away. I have to admit even with my Jump from 8800GTX to a potential GTX280 I'm a bit mythed that it cannot play Crysis on the highest settings (The game has 4 settings, Low, Medium, High and Highest) with a decent resolution above 1680x1050.

But I wasn't expecting miracles. I'm going to hold off on my final judgement until all the reviews have been made, but if they are as good as I hope they are I will probably get a card about 6 months after its release (So that the price can dip below that early adopter price all the retailers seem to charge at the start).

If there is one thing the 9800GX2 owners can look forward to, its the GTX280X2 I bet that card is going to be the fastest on the market. Hope it's affordable for those of you who'd want one. These cards are seriously expensive luxury items.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The 8800 GTX has been outpaced since the G92 introduction.

A 9800GX2 is a huge leap for a 8800 GTX owner.

12. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Quoting myself, After seeing the reviews today and the fact that the GTX280 requires a 6-Pin and an 8-Pin (My PSU only has 4x6-Pin) I decided to go with the GTX260 .. but get two of them and SLI.

It worked out cost effective for me as I already have an SLI board, and the PSU to power them and with the resolution I game at (2560x1600) it seems like SLI is the way to go anyway..

So I'm happy. I know it's kind of foolish to buy now when the ATi/AMD cards are coming out this month but ya know that's life. Lets hope I don't get burned being an early adopter and all.. If anyone is wondering I paid £261.70inc vat per card at ebuyer.com for a total of £523.40inc vat. I hope the performance matches the price!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  13. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Hell dude...can't go wrong with that setup. 260's in sli is gonna be smokin' fast.

14. ddoan14

ddoan14 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI
    Some one tell me a game i cant play at decent fps with my sli'd 8800 gtx's at 1680x1050 and ill buy a new card

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W

No reason for such GPU horsepower at such a low resolution. I'd really consider a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, considering the money you invested into your graphics cards.

The sad part is the measly $170 8800GT has better HD-Decoding capabilities than the $600-$1000 you have in your GPU setup.

16. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    C'mon man HD-Decoding capabilities to me and many other comes 346252352652965926 miles after gaming. Most people here have had their 8800GTX for a year + G92 wasn't around then.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You are all claiming things without knowing. The 4 series have not been released so while on paper they look good nobody knows how they will perform. On paper then 3870 looks much better than the 8800GTX but can it even come close to it?

Where is the mid range? We had to wait quite a while before ATI and nVidia released their 8 series midrange and then when they did they updated their high-end range to even better cards.

Argue all you want. In a few months you will be proven wrong. Stupid thread with pointless arguments. The only valid argument is that the high-end range represents the minority of hardware sales. The majority of people buy mid and lowrange cards. You don't like it? Don't click on the link below, it might shatter the "I have money, why don't you?" dillusion many of you have.

Read and weep.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20061229150853.html

So as we see, the high-end market (the enthousiasts) represent the entire world with LESS than 10%. All those who said 10% were totally wrong as it is 4% only!!

Now I wonder how many of you are going to claim you are still 'the market' after having been proven you're ignorant and that the world buys PRICE/PERFORMANCE.

P.S. Can this thread be locked please before the uninformed epeenage gets really out of hand?

18. xBeldin

xBeldin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB / Zalman VF1000
    You do realize that with your ignorant comment you are simply adding to the problem right?

You people are all hilarious, lucky for all of us that 360/PS3 fanboys exist so at least we're not the most blindly fanatical people around.

From the very few ATi reviews I have seen nVidia is in a good spot for themselves. 4850 seems to be just a bit faster than the 8800GT and if the 4870 is even 20% faster than the 4850 then I'd say nVidia is gonna win this round. But there's a lot more reviews/benchmarks to be had before anyone really knows what is going on.