RMA'd my mobo + CPU, and computer still freezes

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Merton, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I sent back my Asus Striker II and my Q9450, and received new ones today.

When I run prime95 blend test, the computer freezes after several minutes (anywhere between 6-30).

I know for a fact it is not my ram, I put in a stick that I am 100% positive that works. I built two identical computers and I took a stick out the other one i built, which ran prime95 overnight.

The only thing I can think of is my hard drive, or the NB is overheating?

2. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    My only other theory is that for some reason (I don't even know if this is possible) real temp is causing my system to freeze.

I think am running an old version, and it says that my CPU speed is 2.763, which it isn't because I haven't even OC'ed yet (all other programs read the GHz correctly).

I am running prime95 without realtemp. Worth a try I guess.

(It has been running for 30min so far)

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well i thermal tool i used made it freeze so you could be rite

4. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Nope, without running realtemp it still froze.

Running hard drive diagnostic now. If that passes, I have no idea what the problem is.

5. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Does it even make sense that a hard drive problem would only cause a system lockup during prime95?

I have no idea what could be causing this lockup. My uncle's rig (exact same parts) ran 100% flawless.

6. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The only way I can picture a hard drive issue causing a freeze is if a program that R/W's a lot is coded in such a way that encountering a bad sector or faulty HD controller would trigger and endless loop which is sure to freeze a computer solid by allowing all resources to perform an endless (and pointless) routine. But this would be a gross mistake on the part of even a novice programmer. I don't see how it could have gone unnoticed for so long.

There are a lot of things that can go bump during a benchmark, sometimes it's as simple as a driver issue. I wonder if it's possible to run Prime95 in Safe mode?

7. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I ran prime95 in safe mode, still froze.

The only parts I have not RMA'd:

Power Supply
    GPU (don't think that would cause a prime95 lockup)
    RAM (ran memtest and it came out fine, also swaped in a stick of 100% working RAM, and still froze)
    2x DVD drives (don't know why this would cause a prime95 lockup)
    Hard drive (again, don't know why this would cause a prime95 lockup, but could just be causing a lockup in general?)

I don't know what to do. I already sent in mail-in-rebates for my PSU, GPU, and RAM, so I cannot RMA those.

Only setting in BIOS that I changed was 2.14v for ram (I set it just a bit higher incase voltages were falling below 2.1, but according to Asus Probe II, it is always around 2.16-2.14.

According to CPUZ my vcore is at 1.152. I am pretty sure that is fine for stock CPU.

Again, NOTHING is overclocked.

I am really stumped with this one? If anyone has any advice please let me know.

My uncle's rig, which has the exact same parts (just put x2 of everything in the order) runs 100% flawless (he has been using it for 2 weeks) and it ran prime95 without any lockups for around 7-8 hours (I ran it overnight).

:( :( :(

EDIT: I am re-downloading prime95 and will run it while I sleep

8. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    It didn't even finish the first test before freezing.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I am really regretting sending in those rebates now.

9. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Do errors occur on both small fft and blend test?
    And what is the CPU VID?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  10. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Maybe the Vdroop is causing it to freeze. Try upping the core voltage a smidge and then run it.

Also yeah, what does the VID read as in coretemp??

11. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    might ask what temps you get on the cpu/nb?

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah this board is notorious for high temps, follow these instructions:

1. Go into bios at stratup by pressing DEL , go into the power/harware monitor section and record all the listed temperatures ( this is because the main temps are reported incorrecty when using everest etc. in windows)

2. Use cpu-z and note the core vid voltage (in the if display at top)

3. Start a programme like hwmonitor here or everest beta 1128 (old but lets you see all voltages) here and take a note of voltages, the 12v is of particular importance, make a screenshot like this if possible.

[​IMG]

Note that cpu-z and hwmonitor ereport my current core voltage wrong so might be the same with you, everest reports it correctly.

4. Now go back into your bios at boot and compare these voltages with what the bios reads in particular the 12v and the core voltage.

5. once you are sure these are reported correctly in windows continue to windows and run a system intensive application like a game (crysis?) or prime 95 mixed test for as long as possible, when it crashes go back into the bios and record the all temps again, report back once you have all this info.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Wow, thank you so much for all the support.

I am going to try all the advice you posted, but I have a quick question.

My DDR2-1066 is set to 800mhz in BIOS (as the default "auto" setting).

Would this be causing prime95 to freeze?

I believe on my uncle's rig, I did set it manually to 1066.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where I can find the documentation on removing the heatpipe? I want to clean it and put AS5 on there.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Many people have the same problem with ddr-1066, it really shouldn't make any difference at 800 mhz ddr but just to be on the safe side make sure the memory timings are set to 5-5-5-15 and the memory voltage is 2.1v.

As for removing the heatpipes well I also did that due to high temps on the nb/sb and can link you to pages where this is described step by step here but I think it's best to check the temps first just to ensure things don't get too complicated.

Also what bios are you using?

15. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I just ran home from work on my lunch break and installed 1305. It froze within 5 minutes.

It was originally freezing with 1101, but is still freezing with 1305.

This wouldn't be as frusterating if the other computer I built, which is identical, was having the same problems but it runs GREAT.

If it is not a BIOS or NB temp issue, the only thing I can think of is a bad hard drive.

I will run all of those temperature tests after I get back from dinner tonight.

16. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Does it freeze solid? or just fail?

Can you try a different PSU, that would be my first suspect in this situation.

Also more of a longshot, but check the mobo bios is the latest version.

17. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    It freezes solid. The screen is still on, the computer is still on, everything is frozen. I have to hold down the power button to restart.

EDIT:
    If my NB was overheating, wouldn't the rig just shut off?

I thought I read on another forum that someone was playing Crysis, and all of a sudden their system turned off. When they checked the NB temp in BIOS, it was at 86C. :eek2:

18. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Try the PSU from your uncles PC

19. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    It is at his house :(

He has been enjoying his blazing fast rig for the past two weeks (he said it hasn't froze once).

I do have a 600w OCZ that was in my old system. Should I try that?

20. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Can't hurt