Are consoles pointless with all the PC ports?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    We've had a load console games coming to PC recently, including....

Mass Effect
    Assassins Creed
    Gears of War
    Lost Planet
    Devil May Cry 4
    Halo 2

also coming soon we have...

Street Fighter IV
    Burnout Paradise

and some rumours...

Resident Evil 5
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Gran Turismo

Sooooo, is it worth owning a console still with most of the best games coming out on PC too?

2. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Only problem is that you have to wait awhile before it is released on pc so console's still get a head start, but if you dont mind waiting then its all good. and ofcourse its a good thing for companies to make some extra bucks at the same time.

3. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Yes, and I can damn near guarantee that Gran Turismo will not be coming to the PC, feel free to quote a source. If you want to play the really good console games and not have to wait a year or more (Gears, Halo 2, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, etc) then you really do need a console. Also unlikely that GTAIV will be coming to the PC after the comments from Rockstar.

There are more console games than those that you have mentioned I'm afraid. To get the best of everything you really need all 3 consoles and a decent PC.

Gears 2
    Resistance 2
    Killzone 2
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
    Halo 3
    GTA4
    Gran Turismo 5
    PGR4
    Tekken 6
    Soul Calibur 4
    Final Fantasy 13/Versus
    Uncharted
    Ratchet & Clank
    MGS4

That list could go on forever. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    If recent events are anything to go by (eg Grid) waiting for games maybe changing.

5. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    You see, I was going to buy a PS3 for my console gaming fix but now I'm not so sure...

I guess games like Tekken will never come out on PC so it may depend on what type of games you like.

6. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070

The PC has never been good at arcade style games,that`s why most console to pc ported games ususally suck. Consoles allow gamers to pick up and play with out the hassle of long installation times and driver/hardware issues.

7. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I will still rather wait for the pc version of a game. I Have never bought and will never buy a console and if the controls are a bit weird on computer you can always buy a gamepad or joystick and problem solved. The good console games thats been ported to pc recently have also been improved over the console part aswell.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    as i always say:

i like gaming with analog gamepad while sitting on a coach infront of a HD TV. priceless... even some games comes to PC and then Console...i buy the CONSOLE version...i prefer i mean. i even try to play many games on PC which supports gamepad with my gamepad.

9. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Consoles still have more games

I think it is good for PC gamers that some consoles games are also making their appearance to PC. I think it is good but preference goes to consoles ;)

Sony exclusive games will not come on PC. Ok, DMC is also available on 360 this time and now also on PC :eek: Developing cost is making Sony/PS3 games less exclusive but overall consoles still have more games :biggun: It is little strange that M$ has GOW, Halo, Halo2, ME also on PC but some exclusively games may not appear on PC

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    why not? owning a console should provide extra fun and enterdrainment, some games are released for console & pc at the same time ; other times console first and pc after (if ever), if waiting make you sick then by all means get a console but do not think consoles should be a PC replacement, it should be a complementary gaming source.

11. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    Console Gaming is the way ahead, just wish some of my friends would see the light and make the move I did. "Over to PS3"

12. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    ^^ Agree.

Some guys miss the point of consoles.

Consoles is not compete with PC, are a cheaper plataform for easy play, not all people can own a PC and/or the knowledge to handle.

If some games coming to PC we can be happy, expesive PC owers, becouse we can improve it with powerfull hardware, nothing else, consoles will still got good sales anyway.

Exclusive games policity is the scum of gaming, I hope more games take same way.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Yeah, the same games come out for console, and PC, so what though?

I love my 360 because I can invite friends over to play the game with me. I find it much more enjoyable sitting around with friends and playing games, especially 360 games that allow you to sign guests into xbox live (halo 3, nhl 08, just to name a few [note: i only own 4 or 5 games so those are the only 2 I play online with friends]).

There is no way you can do that with friends on a PC unless you go to a cyber cafe [waste of money imo], or they bring their rig over.

There is nothing like inviting friends over on a friday night with beer, pizza, and nhl '08 on xbox live. :)

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    all pc ports i have played are ****. I have yet to play mass effect, didnt know it was a pc port version...

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What a breath of fresh air this thread is. Never read anything like this. Very innovative. Let's see. Yes, there are ports. They take 6 months to a year sometimes to arrive on the PC. Some of them will never be ported. If you don't mind waiting or don't like the exclusives anyway, stick to PC. If you hate waiting and love the exclusives, get a console. Where's the dilemma?

16. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I would love to own a console. There are a lot of games that pc users will never see that are console only. Lots of racing, sporting, & platforming games. How can that be a waste or pointless. I want to play Fight Night!

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Well ive always owned a console apart from this gen and to be honest with all these multiformat releases i see absolutely 0 need to get a console
    I have 2 rigs, one connected permanently to the TV and with a wifi connection( its not beefy, x3850, AMD 4200+ X2, 3 gig ram and Vista ). I use it as a media centre and its a very handy rock solid rig if my main one goes belly up for any reason. I need a second PC more than i need a console as i use my rig for work and a load of other stuff. Anyways i use a 360 controller with it and its handy out.

My point is, i personally dont mind waiting 6 months for a PC version of a console game, and by the time it will actually matter to me that i cant play what i want( Final Fantasy 13, and maybe GT5 we'll see ) then the PS3 will have dropped in price as those arent due for another year at least, maybe longer

Also the PC versions are cheaper so that for me covers the extra cost of PC hardware. All in all times are good for PC gaming. I would get a console tomorrow if i regularly had mates around the house for beers and a bit of gaming, but other than that no rush

18. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I'm with eclap.
    Did we really need this? My god, this dead horse has been beaten so many times now. There is the exact same thread not two spots up from this one.
    On top of that the only people that care are the ones that don't know what they are talking about.
    IMHO, that is.

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

People forget that the PS3 isn't a Gaming Console, but a Media and Entertainment Center. Even if the PS3 doesn't get tons of exclusive games, you can always mess with it for others things. (videos, internet, HD movies, music, media sharing, and MUCH MORE to come). The PS3 has enough stuff to make it worth over a PC, for its price, imo.

I'm only speaking for the PS3 because I never saw and played a X360 in my life.

20. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Woah. You really are an unpleasant person aren't you.

Riiiight, the other thread is nothing like this one actually. All I'm doing is pointing out the recent increase in console ports to PC, christ sake.

Seriously, has this "dead horse" been flogged on this forum? I don't recall any other threads pointing out this fact or asking the same question as me.

Please please please, don't bait in this thread if you have nothing to say other the whine. Oh, and take your pal eclap with you thanks very much... :bang: