3D Mark 2008 'Vantage' Guru3d Records

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by compgeek89, Apr 28, 2008.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  2. wkmgt

wkmgt Member Guru

GPU:
    3x MSI GTX280 Stock Air
    Have you tried higher clocks on the CPU with the vapo?? I'm curious where you would be with the CPU @ 4.9 to 5.1 Ghz.

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yup, I noticed drouge's clock was quite slow considering his cooling.... think u should push it higher m8 ;) u might b able to challenge hilbert for top spot then!

4. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    I will try 4800mhz, but at 4950 my machine will not pass the cpu test no matter what I do. I'll swap out my mb and cpu next week with my spares and see what comes of it. But like Crysis, bumping the cpu past 4ghz with vantage does very little for the score.

With Crysis, going from 4ghz to 5ghz netted me 2 whole fps. My cards shipped with catalyst 8.3, I have tried 8.4, all the different hotfixes and so on. So if 8.5 can't get these cards working correctly, I'm going back to nvidia and sticking with them. I'm tired of playing leap frog with ATI and NVIDIA. This is all these two companies can offer, after all the promises and hype they have spewed out. It's the 7950gx2 fiasco all over again.

Were taking it in the arse yet once more. Sorry for the small rant, I didn't mean to head in that direction. Ati did stomp NVIDIA in this last round. 8800ultra vs 3870x2 price vs performance. Catalyst 8.5 will be the deciding factor for me. I suspect we have not seen them yet because they will never ever load all the gpu cores correctly and we will all be disappointed again when they do come out. Anyway, I have reached my max scores with this current hardware.

I have tweaked so much that I can change my bios settings blindfolded as I'm sure most of you can also. Still, lot's of fun competing and sharing with you guy's. A real tallented group. WKMGT, you diced me in 3d06 dog. Way to go, nice bench indeed. I can't beat that monster score. But I'll give it a shot. I feel compelled to try. I agree that vantage is more gpu bound or oriented than previous 3dm releases.

I think it would take about 5.4ghz to hit 20k cpu score. Or 5ghz and a great fsb, say 475mhz. nudge nudge. Just saw 8.5 beta at station driver for vista 64 and xp 32/64. I'm using vista 32, guess I'll have to wait some more. Could someone with vista 64 check em out and report back?

5. wkmgt

wkmgt Member Guru

GPU:
    3x MSI GTX280 Stock Air
    I've been with nvidia since the X800 so it was a fun and welcome change to try those 3870x2s. 3DMark 03 has always been one of my favorite benches and how they score on that is incredible. Too bad they suck so bad in 01 and now Vantage but other than that, it's been a real fun ride. I knew they were in trouble with Vantage as the last time I looked, there wasn't 1 3870x2 score in the FM HOF (performance preset anyway). I may go with ATI's new flavor as well. Thanks to all of you that figured out the driver situation and what OC'ing tool to use before I got them. Made my life a lot easier!! :) I think drouge, worthy and KevKiev were all involved and scrambling to get that under control.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    What's with Ati and DX10??
    All I see is relatively low scores on the Ati side.... :3eyes:

7. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well now catalyst 8.5, hopefully that makes drouge happy :)

8. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    nope, this is the way it looks now.

8.4 for 3d06, bioshock, oblivion
    8.5 for crysis
    vantage hotfix for vantage

maybe I just have a weird pc but the 8.5's are worse than the 8.4's were for vantage. looks like the 8.5's are only using one card.

9. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well we had to be expecting it, TRI/Quad-sli and CrossfireX is way too high end and doesn't bring enough money to nvidia/ati to give out any good driver support to that technology, you can't really blame them, to them it looks like a waste of money

10. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    I like your perspective, sounds like a solid point. I think I like nvidias unified driver architecture better. Better overall performance for more apps and games.

11. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  12. Ekajaya"VaLvE"

Ekajaya"VaLvE" Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
  13. Gucci

Gucci Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
  14. wkmgt

wkmgt Member Guru

GPU:
    3x MSI GTX280 Stock Air
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  15. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    WOW you guyz... phenominal scores there. really good work. Drouge, well done for taking hotspot mate! and i was just thinking wkmgt's score was impressive ;)

17. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
  18. wkmgt

wkmgt Member Guru

GPU:
    3x MSI GTX280 Stock Air
    Nice one drouge. I either have to get more dice or hook up the vapo. The plan was to get Vantage out of the way and then do some 01 and AM3 single 3870X2 runs all with the dice I had this morning. But that didn't happen and "Just when I try to quit, you pull me back in!!" :)

ATI was in dire need of some decent drivers and it appears that they are going in the right direction!!

19. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    drouge's score is higher when you have alot higher clcoked cpu and overall the GPU clcoks are similar?? surely thats not right??

20. wkmgt

wkmgt Member Guru

GPU:
    3x MSI GTX280 Stock Air

I believe he's using ATI's new beta drivers. Trust me, I used their "Vantage hotfix drivers" this morning and they were, at best, unpredictable. Lots of scenes start with FPS less than 5 then suddenly pop up into the 90s, they were really all over the place and the pattern would change from run to run. It was crazy. Anyway, from the looks of it, ATI is trying to address the problem and that's a good thing!!