The Energy Non-Crisis

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Steven Hone, May 23, 2008.

1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Blue, several of us here have to come to conclusion that you're full of it with your incessant claims of being some sort of oil industry expert. Your assertions can be so easily disproven at this point that I don't give any credibility to your claims and attribute it far more to your radical leftist worldview.

Alaska has absolutely gigantic oil reserves but the idiot Democrats(who are beholden to the lying eco-nuts) won't let us go get it. This will come back to bite the Dumbocrats in the butt hard when gas prices continue soaring and people realize that we could have had billions upon billions of barrels of our own oil but the Dumbocrats let their campaign money coffer stocking override the nation's best interest.

Most folks don't realize it because the biased news media always buries the facts, but the US has massive oil and natural gas reserves just waiting to be exploited. There are huge deposits here in Alaska, obviously, but also in Montana and the Dakotas.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news2.13s.html

The bottom line? At least here in America, we could become energy independent of foreign oil if it weren't for bogus lawsuits by the eco-nuts and a bunch of spineless Dumbocrats in Congress. As I previously stated, as soon as gas hits $6 a gallon and people have to take out 2nd mortgages just to pay for heating oil, these fools will be thrown out of office and the eco-nuts will be completely ignored. That day can't come soon enough.

2. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    I have one word for you.

compartmentalised.

study it.

learn it.

understand it.

do you honestly think the higher ups would tell you about any of this?

as far as they're concerned you just monitor and report things, and gobble up what BS they tell you.

besides as I said supply/demand has nothing to do with the price of oil, it has to do with devaluation of our currencies.

3. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    i worked for shell for 3 years, my dad is a ocm of a deep sea diving vessel and has been for over 30 years.

fact is theres loads of oil, we are just having to spend more to get it, so alot of it we leave for a later time.

oil prices have nothing to do with fuel really as theres a BIG difference between oil and petrol, in fact similar difference between oil and plastic, they both have oil in it and require loads of processing but you dont see plastic prices going up do you?

petrol companys love it when oil prices go up, they just raise their prices as people are so ignorant and think the 2 are one and the same.

oil price is controled anyway, they can raise and lower as they will.

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    blue you should totally take piccies, must be quite an interesting sight and stuff

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Plastic prices are through the roof as a direct result of crude oil prices, and the plastic industry is suffering because of it.It's like saying steel and auto are separate industries, therefore the cost of steel don't effect the cost of a car.
    You can't keep the cost of a byproduct down if the main product is priced too high.
    I do agree there isn't a a relationship between a specific company, and high prices.Otherwise, we would see competitive pricing, or at very least in the US, better prices from "friendly" nations like Canada, then we are getting from OPEC.

6. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Erm actually I am on the team that designs the systems. Analysis flows through our department. we pretty much provide the data of well capacity and well potential. So drilling isn't always a simple task.

Calls satch: I'm really not in a mood to be banned, so I'm ignoring your stupidity as an attempt to troll. You use name calling and bogus and even frivolous findings to support your skewed views

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Whatever blue. I'm a lot of things but "stupid" isn't one of them. Enjoy Oz, I hear it's nice there this time of year.

8. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    snatch is anything but stupid. frankly and quiet sadly, he is one of the vary few people on these forums that actualy has a brain and knows what is realy going on in the world.

now ok, so you help design the wells. now unless you are the one actualy going out and hunting for new wells. how exactly do you know what is being discoverd without actualy being told?

compartmentalisation. most corperations and governments that have any ties to the NWO will do this to their workers in order to keep them on a need to know basis.

furthermore there are many wells that have been drilled have pumps on them (and that are not empty) that are not pumping.

9. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    We don't do the drilling and extraction. Companies have private contractors for that. My department takes the seismic data and based on the tests determines capacity of wells and what would be potentially profitable sites.

New findings are really chancy since most are really parts of other reservoirs. The Alaskan find is a estimate, not a fact. Using those estimates as a factual statement is irresponsible.

Oh, and those aren't pumps, those are plugs called "christmas trees". The are used for old sites or areas where the well is refilling from the veins.

Classic is partially aware, but has a distorted view on things.

10. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    What incentive have Oil companies got to start drilling/pumping these places any time soon?

It looks like we're going to be paying £1.50 a litre soon it's becoming a joke.

11. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Ethanol is more costly that fossil and it gives on 85% the same energy per volume. And using food to make fuel doesn't make sense (gotta grow it with fossil fertilizer, farm it with fossil fuels, ferment it and distill it).
    Hydrogen is no good because it take more energy to electrolysis water than is returned (unless methane is use for the electrolysis...but thats a fossil fuel too.)
    Fuel cells are good because they take Hydrogen and Oxygen to make water and give off more energy than the reaction requires...but where does all the hydrogen come from not to mention the distribution system?)
    Electric cars are good but in th US 70% of electricity comes from coal. Coal is still more abundent but is a fossil fuel and limited).
    The unfortunate truth is that nothing available now or in the near future has as much energy as fossil fuel.

Solar has ptential with increasing efficentcy ratings of the cells exceeding 20% but did you know thats theres only about 10 square kilometers of solar cells on Earth? And the US would need about as much area as California!

Somehow we need to curb demand but with more industrilized nations and population growth I don't see how that will happen.

Enough of my ramblings...let's hope for a solution.

Lex

Definitely a pickle but hopefully we will figure it out...else we go back to using wood....

12. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    The Bakken formation is pretty interesting
    We're also getting to the point where oil shale is nearing profitable. There's also a lot of oil sand out in Canukistan.

13. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    If you are going to use numbers can you *not* pull them from your ass, please?

[​IMG]

Of course no one renewable energy source can realistically power the nation, but a near-future increase in nuclear energy production that is going on *right now* can significantly offset coal use while we work on funding grand-scale deployment of expensive renewable green energies. The only good thing about coal is that, like oil, it's chemical energy; you can transport it in barrels, trucks, boats. Green energy requires a massive restructuring of the mammoth US infrastructure for realistic distribution.

14. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Creating a distributed nationwide system in the US is unrealistic.

Renewable energy is only effective at smaller distributive levels, also note they can never be the major producer.

The idea is to use power stations which fit the existing infrastructure but do not pollute and it starts with an N.

Also the US is weak on other aspects such as having its reprocessing plant closed in the 70s and the fact that bureaucracy surrounding construction is crazy, it takes like 10 years to go from the drawing board to construction!

15. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I think Canada has alot of oil sand, isn't that right?

Drilling and extraction is very very expensive because of various factors:

1) Spillage and line rupturing. Because of the temperature variations, piping oil from Alaska is very very costly because of how often the pipes break.
    2) Contractors skimming oil and reselling to other companies. This is a huge infraction. Get caught once, and you never work in the oil industry ever again.
    3) Cost of compensating communities where drilling occurs.
    4) Environmental review and sanitation cost. This is vital. If a company doesn't clean up after itself, governments reserve the right to deny operations. It then goes to other bidders.
    5) Accidents. People tend to forget major spills like the exxon valdez for some reason.
    6)Cleaning and maintaining rigs are more expensive depending on the area. Imaging having to do that in the Alaskan environment.

16. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    agreed.

like I said though the reason for rising gas prices is because of the devaluation of our curencies. not supply/demand.

17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I dont think so, the rise of commodities is way higher then the devaluation of the dollar, oil has doubled or nearly trebled in 1 year while us currency has hardly devalued by the same amount.

If i recall the dollar was 1.1 to the euro a while back and now its traded at 1.51. Which is nowhere close to the rise in prices.

18. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    I said "currencies" ie plural

and why do you think commodities are so much more expensive. the doller is getting weaker. everything is more expensive.

have you taken a look at gold lately

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    yeah but the rate at which the increases are taking place are higher then the devaluations.

Im not saying its not a contributor but its a very reductive logic which doesn't take into consideration other larger factors.

20. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Reach around? :3eyes: