The Energy Non-Crisis

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Steven Hone, May 23, 2008.

1. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
  2. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Might be so if nobody else uses it....
    The big issue at the moment though is there is too much demand for the stuff
    so the prices are going throught the roof.

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well the fact that the price rises will make people buy electric cars or ethanol fuel will become more available, or hydrogen

4. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Over 1,5 euros per liter for 95 octane (cheapst available, other one is 98 octane) gas. Expected to rise above 2 euros by the end of the year. So yea, need moar oil.

For yanks, the first one is 8,9 dollars per gallon and the latter one is 11,9 dollars per gallon.

/me gets an electric car when he has money

5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    You realize that ethanol is controlled by the same companies? If gas prices go up too much, ethanol prices will go up also. Why? Because the consumer would have no choice. And we're a long, long way off from hydrogen. Electric cars are just plain stupid. Battery technology is nowhere near good or cheap enough for mass-production.

There's more than enough oil in this world to keep us going for a while. But admitting that would mean lower gas prices, and the past few years have been particularly enjoyable for gas companies.

But wow, where do you live Xendance? 95 octane is the cheapest? Here in Canada it's rare to see something that high at pumps, usually it ends at 93.

6. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Ethanol controlled by the same companies, where do you live mad_cow ? Reykjavik ?
    Here (Quebec) theres an independent company that makes ethanol for all the buses in the Montreal region. Kind of have a blank here though can't remember the name

7. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    In the UK the Octane starts at 95. My car runs on 95 fine, but will tighten its timings if I run it on 99, which is good! 99 is easy to get here too. 102 is the highest I've seen.

8. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Maybe I'm thinking of something else then. Maybe I'm thinking about something else.

And no wonder why gas costs so much in the UK, you guys have much higher octane content. Here, the only gas you can buy that's over 100 octane is race gas.

9. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    It is the huge amount of tax that makes it more expensive. Pre-tax the fuel is cheaper here.

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    £1.16 per litre here!:3eyes: Therefore around $2.32/litre

1 gallon = 4.55 litres

Therefore 2.32 x 4.55 = $10.56/gallon! FFS:banana:

There having our pants down!:banana:

11. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    1 US gallon = 3.79 litres

12. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Hydrogen would be freaky to drive with, because its put under so much pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any company out there tested a crash of a hydrogen car because it's so expensive, it's like sitting under a bomb if you crashed it.

13. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    this belongs in the video thread.

And that guy is a moron.

14. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    200 years. lol, try a few hundred thousend world wide.

alaska has more oil than sadi arabia.

but no, the oil companies decide to cap off a lot of their wells and shut down a lot of their refineries.

also the price of oil has nothing to do with suply/demand. that's what the MSM (msnbc,cnn,Faux ect) would have you believe it has to do with the devaluing of our curancies.

why do you think gold is so expensive (and the banks dumped tons of it on the maket recently).

reserch it.

http://www.funnymoneyreport.com/news.php?id=6783
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

just google peak oil scam

15. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    lol, this thread has been danced around many times before. Working in the oil industry I can tell you we are hitting both the drilling and refining wall. Peak oil is a reality.

Also, the moron in the video failed to not of the cost the drill oil. The rig that drills is not the same rig that extracts.

edit: That guy is being affected by a simple illness: Attention-whorism

16. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    realy and what part of the oil indistry do you work in?

17. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I'll just get a Diesel car and run on chip fat.... people aren't going to be giving up the fatty food and the spud any time soon. {Sigh} But then chip shops will probably become the new fuel barons... Then start charging people extortionate amounts to get a bit of stinky oil. :( frickin planet.
    When are we going to start stripping Titan of it's resources THAT'S what I want to know! But then there will probably be a "Friends of Titan" group start up and moan that we shouldn't be hurting Titan's natural ecosystem. I hate humans. :(

18. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I'm in the GIS department. Specifically the SCADA monitoring and supervision. I've to some of the worst drilling sites you can think of, and believe me. Drilling and extraction is not cheap.

19. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    I don't know if any company has ever crash-tested a hydrogen car because I'm not sure such a car has been created in any prototype form, but keep in mind we're not talking about a controlled fusion engine. Hydrogen bombs are so powerful because the heat of the hydrogen triggers an atomic explosion that is dependent on plutonium or uranium. Hydrogen by itself is actually kind of fun to play with -- get some lye, a few tubes, and a bucket, and fill up a garbage bag with it. Go boom! Dangerous, sure, but no more dangerous than gasoline, which is what currently powers engines.

Edit: wow, this post was way late and only marginally related to the topic. Mah bad.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  20. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Yea, we have 95 and 98 octane. Then we have summer and winter diesel.

I just checked the price, and 95 octane was 1,538 euros per liter and 98 1,58 euros per liter. Diesel is about 1,2 or so.