Report on PC gaming slump.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Pigchild, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
  2. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
  3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Just one thing, how much do you know about PC hardware?

I'm just wondering this as I have upgraded once in the past 5 years in order to play my games smoothly, so I dont see how this whole "oh I have to upgrade every 6 months" is justified, if you know what hardware you are dealing with and have a rough idea what sort of performance you'll get, I'm sure you wouldnt have to upgrade that often at all, in fact I believe thats a complete exaggeration.

Yeah, maybe I'm being ignorant, but at the end of the day, the computer I have right now I spent around £450 on in total and it plays every game I have fine, no problems at all.

Perhaps you need to try and get a better idea of what you are buying?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    I'm glad to see that Crysis and the Witcher did well after all. After reading about sales figures around 100.000 I was worried that pc gaming was actually in serious trouble. It's not so bad after all.

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    That's what happens when the opinions of some are based on a statistic that has no value. You'd almost think a lot of people want pc-gaming dead for some reason, thus spreading doom :p

6. Whiteraven

Whiteraven Member Guru

GPU:
    (2X) BFG 8800GTS OC 640mb
    There are 10 million addicted people with PCs playing WoW world wide.
    And they most likely dont play much else anymore :)

No reason to buy other PC games.

7. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    Well, if you consider "doing well" as sales, then yes, the PC gaming market is not only doing well but growing steadily. Though, in terms of product quality....

Too much emphasis on graphics these days and not enough emphasis on gameplay.

8. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    LOL here we go again with this topic, get over it, PC gaming will not die, CRYSIS has gone platinum, do you know what that means??????

9. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah this annoys me sometimes when I want to play games with people but they decline because they are too busy playing WoW, omfg :rolleyes:

10. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    Yeah it's an RPG, the funny thing is that it's got all sorts of technical/compatibility issues and still sells well. It does have a great story and is agame with depth which is more than can be said for most console games.

11. Newfgamer

Newfgamer Active Member

No it is not insane, it is fact, Pc sales have stayed the same, it is an enthusiast market, it will always be around.

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008/02/02/the_sky...

Read this article, mark rein is an idiot, he wants PC gaming to fail the UT3 engine is the max the consoles can do, so his engine will sell on that platform for the next 4 years, on Pc Ut3 has already been surpased. UT3 solded poorly because PC gamers got a rehashed game with a graphics upgrade. Console gamers don't know any better.

Anyone who says PC has no good exclusives is a crack whore:

Stalker
    Crysis
    NWn2 and Mask of the betrayer
    The Witcher (Best RPG of the last 2-3 years, better then mass Effect)

The 360 has what, masss Effect and what? 2007, the PC had the best exclusive lineup of ANY system.

Clear Sky coming soon
    Company Of Heroes and a slew on great Strategy games

Keyboard and mouse is mroe precise, responsive, and allows for much more customization plus Pc gets mods which add loads of value to games,

This is terrible journalism, and the same propaganda we hear from the PRO console press.

Give me a break guys, the media is a lot of bull and propaganda, mark rein ia an idiot, he says a lot of crazy crap, this is the guy that said Gears PC would have better graphics then crysis.

lets not even get into how mainstream = dumbed down crap. Crap games like kane and Lynch, lost Planet sell on consols because console gamers buy dumb crap.

I take quality, depth of Pc over any console. These figures never include digital downloads, and they compare 1 platform (PC) to all portable hardware and the consoles, seems PC gaming is doing well, it is an enthusiast platform, never was mainstream, thus never sold as well, doesn't stop great games coming out for it, as there is a market, as CDProject, Crytek, Blizzard , GSC gameworld will tell you.

Pc gaming is a niche market for enthusiast, techies, but it is a strong market if a game is done right, see Crysis, The Witcher, Stalker, Company of Heroes, etc....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  12. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

The problem here mate is you are a sensible and reasonable person on an internet full of sensationalist idiots.

You are right, the idea of upgrading every sixth months is pretty mad as are the figures people quote. The amount of times I see people quote ridiculous numbers like £1500 every sixth months!

e.g. for less than £180 you can get an BFG GeForce 9800 GTX, which will have you set for quite a while. Its the price of a few heavy nights out.

Me and my mates enjoy LAN etc loads, despite many not having upgraded for a few years. Many have consoles as well... but apart from GTA what is there to keep coming back to?

I bought my PC over two years ago and I only see the need for consoles when party / Pro Evo time comes around.

Exactly, games have to be done right. You can't sell PC gamers any old crap. games like STALKER and CoH are genuinely awesome.

For me, "not enough time for PC" is no excuse - because I don't have that much gaming time, when I do have time I want the best experience possible.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  13. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
  14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    jebus this PC is dying thing is getting out of control, its all a load of rubbish. PC in the US for last year sold just under the PS3 and 360 at .9billion $( ~1.4billion $ each for the 360 and PS3 ) and thats not including digital downloads or monthly subscriptions.
    Also those stats are biased because PC games are cheaper than console games, therefore PC must shift 1.5 times as many units as that of the PS3 or 360 just to match sales revenue

15. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Good point.

When I looked pretty deeply into the sales trends a few weeks back, it was pretty positive - decent PC growth has continued for a number years.

No real reason to panic right now at all.

Shame journalists don't actually bother to research anything, they base it all on just American figures and for one part of the market.

Haha thanks.

16. ed218duknut

ed218duknut Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 x2
    This pc dying topic has got to stop.

17. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Maybe we should ask for martial law declared? Get anyone who even hints at any problem in our beloved motherland of PC to jog on by banning them.

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Exactly, Epic and Crytek were just using it for free publicity( especially Epic who had something to say every second week and some to contradict that the weeks in between. Mags are doing it either to promote sign ups for guys to defend the PC or console heads to bash it. Its the same with the crappy M$ says 360 is uber and PS3 is crap articles or vice versa, drumming up forum heads and viewers

Besides in 2-3 years those devs will be back developing the latest and greatest on the PC just to prepare technology for the next generation of consoles

19. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Those figures were completely wrong to start with. You can tell that from just looking at them. I have purchased heaps of games in the last 6 months. There are many good titles that aren't COD4 or Crysis, cost half the price and take longer than few hours to finish.

I couldn't care less about the latest graphics if the game takes a day to finish and has no incentive to replay it. Give me DX9 and a long, well constructed plot over DX10 "mutton dressed as lamb" any day.

20. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Though not 'long' Portal was a good example of this.