ati catalyst 8.5 final available now!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Gameslove, May 21, 2008.

1. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    will these work on an HD 3850 AGP or will i have to download the hotfix version?

2. Wu-TanG

Wu-TanG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6970 DirectCU II
    I think it will work on ur 3850 AGP

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    interesting..i will try them when i get home..although i don't know why, cause i don't have any game to play...i'm bored with all of my games..i'm dying for some new ones..

4. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    i'm having similar problems, the driver installed after 3-4 trys but stil no CCC.:3eyes: I've never had any problems before this release so I tried just the driver alone and it also took a couple of trys also. :biggun:

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    So anyone that has tried the 3870 X2 with it finds it any good ?

6. CoffinDancer

CoffinDancer Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 Pro PCIe 512mb
    not sure why some of you folks are having so many problems installing these drivers?

you're not providing any details on what happens, what error messages, etc, but i have a thought or two on the matter.

first, i noticed about four or five releases ago that i had major problems when i tried to use the combined display driver / ccc installer.

as for the moment i don't need or use the WDM portion of the drivers, i have reverted to d/l'ing the 2 individual driver components - display and ccc, and using them for the installs.

my procedure's the usual one recommended by a lot of folks:

control panel, add / remove programs.

remove the display driver first.
    remove the ccc.
    "remove" - run - the ATI software uninstall utility;

reboot to safe mode.
    run Driver Sweeper - available here at Guru3D - selecting "ATI" components, then "sweep".

reboot to winblows normally.
    cancel out of any and all "new hardware found" functions.
    install the display driver, then the ccc, then reboot.

this has not caused me any problems the last four or five times i've done it.

are most of these issues associated with just the WDM portion of the installs?

now, frankly, that DOA install etc DID used to give me major headaches.
    could you use the individual packages to at least get the display driver and the ccc in there, buying time to do battle with the WDM portion of the installs?

CD

7. zeroburrito

zeroburrito New Member

nope. e2180 @ 3ghz

8. racofer

racofer Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
    KOTOR1/2 still broken.
    Desktop brightness settings still broken.

yay......

9. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  10. Wharg0ul

Wharg0ul New Member

11. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    The X1650 should function with every original Catalyst Driver as their are the X1XXX series which was AGP Supported from ATI itself.

12. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    @ CoffinDancer,
    I use the exact procedure you do & have never had any problem til 8.5, the display driver did install but no CCC. I checked delete driver when uninstalling the old drivers and am wondering if this maybe has something to do with this.

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    This driver does nothing for Crysis, best I can manage is 1440x900, Motion Blur + Shadow at Med, the rest at High/Very High (with Texture and Shader Quality at Very High as well). This driver works about as well as the Vantage Hotfix driver for AC, that is, it almost doubles FRs (when compared to 8.4) in some scenes due to it having an AC CF profile in all likeliness.

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    mikey are you getting the same problem as me with 3870x2 in crossfire X it slows down to like 0 fps during the game and then goes back to normal and continues like this?

15. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    In the words of Unreal Tourney:

"HOLY ****!!!!!" :D

Man, ok, I expected a major release, because XP was dragging like a bitch, and Vista was little-better-off than XP was.

So, I find out this driver changes SO many things, that I was actually surprised at ATI, for once.

In the last decade or so since I purchased by 9800 Radeon board, I've never been too impressed by drivers. It seems incremental increases instead of massive overhauls.

This driver is the first that I've ever seen (for Catalyst), that actually changes the whole dynamic.

Now, I have my current board <---- in RMA right now (f'n USPS shipping screw-up, had to re-send today, ugh), so I cannot test my new PC with Vista Ultimate 64 with SP1, but you can be damned sure I'm going to try.

I don't know if these drivers fix compatibility with older apps on either XP or Vista (Vista drivers seem to work with old apps, where XP drivers have problems...Think M$ rigged things up so that to meet the Vista WHQL, they forced ATI and NVid to re-code the drivers so that XP would not work right with new hardware? Forcing people to buy Vista)....

Every single ATI board I've seen since the X1950, has had many probs with older apps, but I was using XP, and my 3870 died on me, so once I get a replacement, I'm going to open the throttles, big-time.

Still, this driver seems to change SO many things at once, that it's going to take me a while before I can learn what registry-hacks do what with the drivers...;)

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Now that you've mentioned it, I do recall some slowdown and freezes especially when I hit a checkpoint. But I attribute this to my harddrive which has been acting up lately. It'd suddenly go into high activity (my HD activity LED flashes non-stop for minutes on end), this has caused some of my games to crash....odd this is, it's quite intermittent although this happens whenever I power up. Yes, I know that the HD is loading OS.......but it seems to go on for a good bit, and my sidebar takes a while to load becoz of this. I suspect I may have some malware/virus so I'm gonna have to format and reinstall Vista. I've gotten a spanking new copy of Kasperky AV ready when I do the reinstall. Let's see if this solves the freezes and crashes.:3eyes:

17. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Wait...

Look, if you have problems with savegames with Crysis or whatever-have-you, look for a patch, and if a patch fails, find out if there is ANYONE in the game's forums, who has cracked the hex-code on the root EXE file, and from there, see if you can find out what causes your savegame trouble.

I know that a lot of games (newer and older both) have problems with savegames (especially auto-saves)...Corrupted saves are common, and worse, auto-save can cause a crash with certain games, which in turn cause your auto-save(s) to get corrupted after reboot.

Look at TES4 for a relevant example of this...I did not buy Crysis because it's another shooter, and it seems like, since the MMO/Digital Crack games came out, every for-PC game is a shooter of some sort...

So, go ahead and format, but DO NOT...**DO NOT** backup your savegames, run a CLEAN (no AV programs for sure) install of Vista, the drivers, whatever system software you need (not including AV stuff), and then the game having troubles.

It sucks, with games like TES4, because of the way that game caches the game's world-space, whenever you auto-save, especially with mods, you end up crashing to desktop and your auto-save gets hosed...

I've seen it happen to a few recent-make RTS games like WIC and SupCom/FA, it's just because the publishers won't let the developers quickly pass-through patches for the games...The publishers constantly hold patches for months at times, while they do their "q&a" on the patches (being some snot-nosed, p*ssy-whipped clinically obese kid who passes for a 'play tester' in today's out-sourced job markets)...

If it wasn't for publishers constantly hosing their own developers, things would be patched much faster, and no one would have serious game-breaking problems...

Anyhow, format it, and try it without any anti-virus stuff (also disable the TeaTimer app that comes with Spybot, because that has no practical use in today's world, unless you're already infected)...It should work if you install things the right way.

I have a backup USB drive that now stands at over 320GB, with all my backup stuff (heh, including my massive media collection that I'm too lazy to put on DVD's)...

I always format about every 4 months with either XP or Vista, and the reasons are very simple. Every single month, the major hardware developers (asides from the endlessly-hosed Creative Labs) come out with new drivers.

When those drivers change as many things as 8.5 seems to have changed, Windows can get hosed, no matter *WHAT* steps you take to avoid it. Even if you have DriverCleaner or whatever-have-you (anyone know a good app for Vista 64?), Windows still gets hosed sometimes.

If you have a good, quality HDD, you rarely need to get paranoid about formatting that often, because I've used Hitachi drives since the stone-age, and no matter HOW much I format, they ran for about 4 years in almost every case. Hitachi may not have the fastest seek-times, but when it comes to reliability and age-span, I've not seen many other drives that can last that long, with formats that often. I remember the last time I tried that with a Maxtor drive...Heh, forest fires for PC's, there ;)

Some people say formatting is an archaic ritual, but I've NEVER seen *ANY* OS that can hold more than 8-10 months, without having problems from monthly driver changes, and the other stuff that gets hosed with Windows....

Even the Penguin-s*it OS (Unix/Linux, whatever), can't handle much longer than that, before you have to start a clean-slate. If you wonder why they only have 8% of the business/OS market, that's the answer. It might get more uptime for server apps than Windows, but when it comes down to having to completely start a new install, Windows is easier to micro-manage.

Well, ok, ancient DOS before hard drives might qualify, since you almost never had to format (no HDD to do it with), but then again, without HDD's to format (why formats floppies? heh), it doesn't apply.

Ok, I've talked in circles enough...;)

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Any CrossFire users get this effect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYjBk4N3D8

My ever on going battle with screen corruption with games. With two X1950XTX's, one master card obviously.

That happens under XP Pro 32bit but not with Vista 32bit. I've installed 8.5 and the same thing happens. They once had it fixed and now it's broken again. Yes you'd think going back to the version that sorted it would fix it right... well sadly it didn't.

19. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Try setting 'wait for vertical refresh' to 'off, unless application specifies', this works for me.

20. Gareee2

Gareee2 New Member

I'm getting some odd desktop text blurring with this driver.. if I roll back, everything's fine. I even wrote down vista 64 font settings n such, and it looks like they are all in place properly, but all fonts on all applications are very blurry now!

Anyone else ever hear of this, or a fix?

(Clear type IS turned on, and it occurs with xp style on or off.)

Last edited: May 23, 2008