Ordered Another PC! What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Slient Bob, May 18, 2008.

1. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    Having returned my previous PC, specs to the left, due to many problems with OCUK, Ive Just ordered this PC from Chillblast! http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18394

Basically I read the PC pro review and I bought it!

What do you think of it?

I was going to wait for the new Nvidia Graphics card but I couldnt be bothered and to be honest I dont think Ill struggle to play anything with these specs for a year or 2!

My only concern is the memory, I dont know which brand they include and how well it will perform so I can only hope!

Case: Cooler Master CM690 Dominator Black

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Processor overclocked up to 3.4GHz

Cooling & Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula X48 Motherboard

Memory Upgrades: 4GB PC2-8500 Memory

Graphics Card: Geforce 9800 GX2 1024MB PCIe

1st Hard Disk Drive: 1000GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM

2nd Hard Disk Drive: 1000GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200RPM

Standard Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20x DL DVD±RW SATA Optical Drive

Power Supply: Thermaltake High Performance 750W PSU

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OEM

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    9800GX2 = bad choise..

Wait HD48xx and nVidia GT 200 series

3. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What makes it a bad choice? It can play any game he throws at it..

4. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Its great and all that, but whats wrong with your setup atm? is is really worth spending 2000 pounds?

After looking at their products a little, I can say say that are very over priced, even for the UK.

Last edited: May 18, 2008

5. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Well.. 8800GTX SLI is better =/ And its "OLD"

512MB for YBER HIGH END is just a JOKE. Its just a recopy of 8800 series. Nothing new, No speed over OLD one so....no nothing.

6. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers for the reply! The old setup came from OCUK and when it arrived the case was broken, and many things werent connected like the disk drive, fans etc.

So I sent it back, and when I got it again the PCI16X slot was borken!

So I returned it again and got a refund!

I actually paid about £1593 as I didnt get the monitor and other peripherals that they offered!

This is about on par with other retailers, perhaps Ive paid maybe £100 more or so but the company is quite reccomended.

With regards to the 9800GX2 and all the haters!

I had this card for a while, and it kicked ass! I got around 16000 in 3D mark 06 and it played Crysis superbly on high settings and every other game on maximum settings!

Ive noticed a common trend around the 9800GX2, everyone with a 8800GTX hates it because they cant accept its more powerfull!

Yeh its expensive, but I can afford it, and when the new cards come out, ill wait a while and get one of them.

Exactly! It may be overpriced, but its the best 'Single Card' solution in the world, if only for a month or 2 more!

Why cant people with a 8800 accept that something is faster?

People with an 8800GTS for example mostly seem to be happy with what they have got? Yet those who got the 8800GTX - the best single card solution at the time - just cant seem to bare people getting a 9800 GX2?

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated, but I am honestly very happy with the 9800GX2, as I have actually seen what its like first hand, rather than just read negative reviews from people who just dislike it because it didnt 'evolve' enough from the 8800's.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  7. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    I chose the 9800GTX, replacing my old 8800GTS 320MB.

Overclocked nicely, it gets 16,660 in 3DMARK06, which is plenty more than an 8800GTX, and better than a stock 9800GX2!

Personally, letting someone else build a PC for me is like paying someone to have sex with my girlfriend. Where the hell is the fun in that!?!?!?

8. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Fair enough, but that only applies if you are interested in building a PC, which I can safely say, I wasnt!

I would enjoy many aspect of building a PC, but as soon as things co wrong, I would get angry and impatient! :bang:

Also, I wouldnt be confident in overclocking the CPU, and at 3.4GHz, Im going to pretty happy I think!

9. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    Just as well I suppose: If everyone enjoyed PCs like I do, then I wouldn't make any money selling them!

I spent 8 hours overhauling my 9800s cooling, and I mean making custom eatsinks o fit each chip, usin a hacksaw, file, and 2000 grit sandpaper!

At least the X48 is a good overclocker, so you can beef up the CPU clock some more.

Going from 2.66GHz to 3.4GHz on a 45nm isn't that much.

Also, the Arctic Cooling CPU coolers are good for the price, but not exactly the best overall.

10. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers for the reply!

Im coming from a Pentium 4, 3GHz processor, and a 7800GS AGP, Direct X9, DDR1 system so the performance increase, which I breifly experienced on the Specs to the left, will be massive for me and should cater for all of my Gaming and PC needs lol :banana:

And good work on ure system! :infinity:

11. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Have fun with your new system silent bob, post some benchies if you get the chance.

12. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers man! And will do!

13. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Okay. You've made some nice choices, in my opinion. But you should probably get a 9800GTX instead, and maybe SLI that if you need more power at some point. It can take any game you throw at it anyway, and Crysis at high. And we all know that being able to play Crysis with 60 fps at very high may be nice, but how much will you actually play that one game anyway?
    This is just my opinion, and basically I'm sceptical because there's often problems with dual-GPU cards, and the 98GX2 is no exception.
    But as you've ordered a complete PC instead of building your own, I guess you have no choice. Still, the card is great if you don't encounter any of those multi-GPU problems that many people seem to have.

Also, I have the CM 690. Great computer case. I prefer it over the Antec 900 any day :)
    Just one thing - it isn't named "Dominator Black", that's just the standard color it comes in. It's probably to try and sell the PCs easilier ;)

Overall a very nice build. And 8500 memory has to be pretty good quality to handle those clock rates anyway, so probably it isn't that bad. Even if it would happen to be generic memory (which I doubt).

Cheers,
    Peezee :cheers:

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    well I guess you can think this way, but in actuality, the price vs performance ratio of the gx2 is why I think its not worth the money, not because my 8800 is underpowered. After all I can hit 14k on 3dmark06 with my 8800 oced, so underpowered it is not at all. Notice how most people in this thread say to get a 9800gtx? U think its because they all feel intimidated by your gx2?... errr

Think whatever you like though.. I think like many other people that it is a waste of money.But its your money right, so enjoy it!

15. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers! Good to hear about the case and memory! And lets hope I dont have any GPU issues!

With regards to the memory, they include Corsair or Gskill as I emailed them.

With regards to the case, I read louds of excellent reveiws, yet Ive had a few comments on other forums that the case is to rubbish for such an Expensive PC?

I must admit I like the look of it, the size seems good and the plastic HDD trays wont bother me as I am getting 2TB and never plan to add or take away!

I didnt mean to be offensive, I just wished that people could accept that although it may be a waste of money, its still a fast card and, if it stays issue free, the best available (NOT PRICE to PERFORMANCE RATIO).

I must admit that out of all the Graphics cards available, I see the 9800GTX as the most pointless Graphics card pretty much ever!

Obviously if I had a straight choice between an 8800GTX and a 9800GTX Id probably go for the 9800 but I just think that it should have been a lot better!

Where at least the 9800GX2 does have great performance.

People with 8800GTX's still have enough power to play pretty much anything, and therefore I think theres no point in slagging it off the 9800GX2 so much as there is no need, just be happy with what you have.

But anyway, thanks for wishing me well with it and Ill post my 3D Mark score as soon as I get my PC!

Last edited: May 19, 2008

16. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    just to say that the CM690 is a great case plenty of room and great looks perfect for a hi end pc like urs

17. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers! Thanks for the input and that makes me look forward to it even more! :)

18. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    I got 21, 254 3dmark 06 score with my setup and it cost less then $1400 to make. in canadian, so what? around $900 euros?

19. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    You must have bought that rig at a loss to someone surely, 2 9800GTX's cost between 500-600 UK pounds (690 euro's at 550 sterling)

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Was just going to say. That is IMMENSELY cheap for that set up.