9800 GTX gettin' 10-13 fps in Crysis?/

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ebflowers, May 17, 2008.

1. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Good point.

Make sure the TLB Erratum patch is DISABLED in the system BIOS, or otherwise you will have a significant increase in memory latency, enough to even be the cause of your problem here. No need to worry about the TLB erratum, unless you use complicated multitasking scenarios.

2. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ebflowers: Vista x64 has excellent support. leaps and bounds better than XP x64 could have ever dreamed of having. Like the others said.... it could quite possibly have something to do with the TLB issue. That's one thing that held me off with the Phenom's, before i got my Core 2 Quad. Was thinkin about getting a Phenom 9850 BE at first, but decided to just make the switch, and i'm glad i did. this Q9450 runs cool as hell.

4. Shiju

Shiju New Member

I run Crysis all on high settings.

In fact the system profiler in game recommends high settings for my rig and i am getting 40 - 60 fps easily. The game runs perfect i have no issues with system lag or slowdown at all. My load times are short and I can honestly say this game is simply AMAZING.

My Rig:
    Kentsfield Quad Core q6600 correct stepping not purchased from newegg (this is important newegg for some reason isnt selling the correct stepping on chips)

2 Gig Dual Channel Crucial Ballistix 1066 (PC2 8500) 5 - 5 - 5- 15

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 Mobo

BFG 9800 GTX Video Card

Raptor 74 GB 10,000 RPM HD

Fatlity Xtreme SB Card w/ Headphones.

I used nlite and black viper to tweak my windows xp down next to nothing. No Vscan, just what windows needs to run and that is it.

BTW if you do not know what i mean by black viper and his OS tweaks google it now.

I refuse to run Vista, that operating system is horrible and needs to go in the pit of absolute crap right next to WinME. I don't care about DX10 and the Very high setting that it would give me. Crysis looks fine on high.

You have to understand that video cards alone will not give you what you seek, a smooth game. Everything is a factor and must be considered. Someone told me something that I will never forget, your rig is only as fast as your slowest part. Don't cheap out on anything if you don't have the money for a part or it is sold out wait for it.

One thing i will say is that this game pushes you hardware and as a result gives out a lot of heat; you must pay close attention to cooling. Same rule applies here; do not cheap out on cooling for your hardware and case.

5. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950
    i dunno but i played demo and i was getting 10-15 avg.. was very slow when i move mouse..

I have window vista 64-bit.

spec on <<<<<<<<<< :)

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Shiju: apparently you're someone else who's living in like.... February-April 2007? What make it horrible? it's just as fast as XP, if not slightly faster (there's even a thread somewhere here on Guru3D with benchmarks in games between XP and Vista), runs more smoothly, more resistant to BSOD's.... If you ask me.... makes XP look more like ME. I was getting BSOD's on a somewhat regular basis with XP, whereas i rarely get a single one in Vista x64.

7. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I explained this issue to another issue or was it you again? The simple fact trying to run crysis at 1920x1200 with that 9800gtx with it's low 256bit bus and low 512mb memory will get your very low frames per second. Honestly I am surprised you get as much as you do at 10fps and not 1fps. Fact is and dam I have said this over and over again if you want the best experience right now get your the older 8800gtx 768 ( overclock them ) and enjoy. Bud I mess around with every kind of graphics card you can imagine because I own a computer store among other stores. Your best scenario is to return those 9800gtx's and wait another month or two and get the new nvidia cards comeing out. I tell you the truth I cant even run the nvidia human head demo on one of the systems I built for a customer at 1920x1200 with 16aa/af but a old ass 8800 gt 640 will get around 4 fps. Just goes to show you the bus and memory are very important and the 9800gtx is nothing more than a old overclocked 8800gt 512 which is no where near as good as a overclocked 8800gts/gtx/ultra with the wider bus and memory.

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I'm using Vista x64 and it's improving but there are still issues with it, mostly pertaining to video quality both in gaming and videos/movies. For the latter no matter what codec is being used the playback quality is simply horrendous in most players starting with MS' own WMP which won't even play half the videos thrown at it and those that do play look awful even with something like 16,000 codecs loaded. Other players (DivX, WinDVP, Videolan, etc) will usually play the content but the image is blocky and blurred. Real Player is the only video app that works like it should in x64 but I'm not particularly fond of it and would like to use the players that make more sense as far as mouse commands are concerned. Unfortunately this is a serious issue for me and I will remove Vista and set it aside until basic bugs are fixed.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ..... no issues with movie/video playback here. from just about any video file format with any video codec, to DVD playback, even to BluRay disc playback... all is crystal clear.

10. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Why do so many people struggle with top end video cards with Crysis? I run it with all settings at very high 1680x1050 except for shadows on medium/high. Game runs really smooth.

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD

you cpu is bottle necking your GTX you need a higher clockspeed

dont say but its a quadcore cuz its true a overclock of 2.8ghz

to take alot of bottle neck away

12. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    The most sensible post today :) I'm with you here ElementalDragon.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  13. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    I have to agree, for the OP check out this guide on tomshardware which shows how much a CPU can bottleneck a fast graphics card:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu-gpu-upgrade,review-30828.html

Kindest regards

Zoozer

14. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Ebflowers, do you have Soft Shadows enabled?

15. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    wow thanks everyone for helpin

it seems my cpu is the problem I guess...I thinik the furhtest i could over clock it to is 2.42ghz....I mean what is the deal with quad-core? for some dumb reason it hought it would be a displayed speed times four (each of the quad-cores deliverin the speed)

and I dont think i have soft shadows on...however I select the optimal settings and crysis puts me on high at 1280x720

which is weird cuz just the opther day it put me on medium...but that was before i did a slight overclock on the cpu, so Im guessin that is the problem

16. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I like my 64-bit Vista. Crysis plays fine on High with resolution at 1920x1200. I think it is mostly due to the number of cores and the speed of the CPU. If I run the CPU @ 2.4GHz Crysis runs like rubbish!

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ebflowers: well... that's what some sellers on eBay seem to think.... when they label a computer with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 as being like.... a 9.6Ghz computer. You're still only running at whatever speed the CPU is clocked at.... you just basically have four CPU's to spread the workload across, instead of two or one (or three if you look at the AMD triple-core CPU's...).

18. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Those of you suggesting that his CPU is the problem just because its at 2.38Ghz are very foolish. Just because he doesn't have a 4Ghz overclock means nothing when it comes to playing games at 1920X1200.

He doesn't have a P4 at 2.4Ghz, we're talking about a Quad Core Phenom.

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    uuh.... think only one person thought the problem was that it was a 2.38Ghz Phenom. the majority of us believe it may have to do with that whole Phenom 9500/9600 TLB bug.

20. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    An overwhelming feeling of dread suddenly overcomes me :(