Questions about AGEIA Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by HonoredShadow, May 14, 2008.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    meh

i did benchmark Crysis with patch 1.2 no issues completed with flying colors i'm using sp3 too, amazing result vary from rig to rig.

i love those Cuda drivers don't care if the physx isnt working or whatever the drivers are performing ace definetely the best drivers ever for me, most of the time Quadro drivers seem to be the best for my rig too no idea why maybe nvidia put more effort in them?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    LOL yes you're wrong.

Nope, the games don't need to be made via CUDA.
    When Nvidia releases the PhysX package into the CUDA drivers, then they will work with any pre-existing PhysX game.
    Again, those games DON'T need to be made via CUDA.

So yes, in fact you *are* wrong.

:look:

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ughh...

But that software is PHYSX and it will Indeed Be MODIFIED to work VIA cuda!!.

At current, the games Dont support CUDA, The Readme for Physx Even states that, until they release a update for Physx it wont do anything.

By games i meant the Physx part of the game...not the entire game..

4. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Hehe, I'll post it again

Let's break down the quote...

"They won't do anything for PhysX games" - wrong
    "the games need to be made via CUDA" - also wrong.

;)

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    This is the post i was replying to.

So no not wrong, they do nothing to Physx Games.

6. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Guys guys guys.. cuda support is not the same thing as PhysX support through CUDA.

As someone said earlier, you can write cuda programs to run on the GPU right now via the cuda install, but it doesn't have anything to do with PhysX

PhysX doesn't work on the GPU yet. And when it does, it will only work on games built around PhysX.

The NVIDIA PhysX drivers are simply re-labeled Ageia drivers that only work on the PhysX cards.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  7. f-town

f-town Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    then what of the performance increases of ue3 games like UT3 with these new phsyx/gfx drivers?!

8. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Who cares if he was right or wrong? The fact of the matter is that Phsysx cards are becoming obsolete. And that's a good thing, otherwise they would become mandatory after some time meaning more money to pay when buying new computers and another expansion slot used on the mobo.

Now the question is: What will ATI do?

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  9. scottsmi

scottsmi Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
    Might be a placebo effect? Cause I've noticed no performance gain with the CUDA-enabled drivers and the latest PhysX drivers in UT3 engine games that use PhysX. In fact they seem a tad slower than the 175.70 drivers.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The game doesn't has to be made to support CUDA. Go check some FAQ's. Isn't this a bit too clear?

Currently there is no GPU PhysX system software for gamers available and current CUDA drivers have absolutely nothing to do with GPU physics but when this software is released you can enable GPU accelerated physics on current games.

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    "By games i meant the Physx part of the game...not the entire game.."

Like i said.

12. edod

edod Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX
    please try ghost recon

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You are still wrong. They shouldn't have to make any changes in games.

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    They do in a way, The New physx software needs to be installed, Thus changing the game..

Get me??

You also need the new drivers that support Cuda..ie these...

15. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    lol

Are you trying to back peddle??

How does a driver change a game??

As far as I know, a drivers merely allows the OS/Application talk to the hardware etc

When the drivers are released, PhysX Games (current and future) will have the PhysX effects running through your GPU, by the PhysX code being ported to Cuda calls through the driver, thus, your GPU now becomes a GPU/PPU.

I reckon thats a pretty good reason for the next NVIDIA cards having 200+ shaders, eh?

Plus, does noone remeber that the G80 unified architecture allows for pixel/vertex/geometry & PHYSICS?

Well Nvidia simply saw an opportunity to acquire the necessary IP without having to do all the development work themselves, and try to get developers onboard - the scene was already set with PhysX

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The PhysX drivers need to be completely rewritten on a CUDA SDK. Cuda is a heavily modified C environment. Old games will still send data the same way they used to except instead of the PhysX card catching the data, an Nvidia CUDA enabled card will. Sure there will probably be a patch to the physics engine in order to optimize physics over the GPU, but no patch will be necessary for games.

17. MitchMeister-

MitchMeister- New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT
    Installed drivers, played some COD4... locked up after about 2 min of play time. Did look better... back to whql drivers...

18. bodean

bodean Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    Any idea if any games work with this CUDA?
    Just started playing Age of Conan, not sure if that supports it or not.

19. f-town

f-town Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    yes im afraid i had to change to different drivers...the image quality was outstanding, but they just arent stable, even in XP
    lets hope they keep working on these :p

20. unstrain

unstrain Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX660TI 3xSLI
    Let's clear this little confusion here: Ageia came up with a way to write software drivers for phisics acceleration and provided drivers and sdk for that so developers can enable their games to accelerate physics or use their phisics engine. At that time there was no Cuda available for them to write their code for Nvidia GPUs and sell their solution to developers, so they had their own cards to do Phisics with their own proprietary engine. Time passed and Nvidia released Cuda so you can write your own application aka Phisics Ageia on the GPU directly without the need of the Ageia card. Ageia sold to Nvidia so Nvidia does not need to write the whole code for Cuda again: easier to buy Ageia and let their programmers port the code to Cuda. And this is where we are right now. The Phisics engine has been ported and soon will be enabled in the Nvidia drivers to use your gpu(s) to accelerate Physics if your game developer used the Phisics engine for that game. Any old game with Phisics support will also work with your GPU accelerating the Phisics or with your old Ageia card if you still have one. End of story. Just my last 2 cents. Thanks for reading.