HDTV 120hz did this person got rip off in Circuit City

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by NvidiaFreak, May 12, 2008.

1. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    I was in Circuit City and i saw this guy buying the same HDTV i have http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=209063 and a Monster cable http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mons...sem/rpsm/oid/192994/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do the guy told him it support 120hz and without that cable he cant get 120hz even with the cheap hdmi cables. when i heard that i did't know if i want to butt in and tell him he was it was a lie about that or let it go.

i want to know if that true do he need a 120hz Monster cable to get 120hz for movies and hdtv shows or the cheap HDMI cable can do the same as the Monster cable.

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    120hz is all in the TV. it has nothing to do with the type of connection used to connect a device to said TV.

I'd never buy sh*t from Circuit City. by readin your post, their employee's apparently don't know an HDTV from a hole in the wall... and they also tend to have a wicked reputation of employees using a product, putting it back in the box (even if it's slightly broken or attempted to repair at home), bringing it back to the store, and selling it at full retail price, not as Open Box like Best Buy does. Sounds to me like that Circuit City employee was just trying to make a commission by selling a not-really-needed $130 HDMI cable.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    id ring them up and report that guy or tell them you have an issue with their sales tactics. lol@magic cable

4. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    they have gold maybe thats why :p
    but still sucks
    i dont even have an HDTV

5. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    llerena: guess you didn't see the one thing on Gizmodo quite a while back where they tested a Monster audio cable against a bunch of metal cloths hangars that were straightened out into wires? they had a couple people... not sure if they were that heavy into music or anything like that... come to see if they could tell the difference, and they couldn't.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Trouble is, the guy at Circuit City may actually believe you need a better cable for the 120Hz.

Sucks, because it's the TV doing that, but anyway.
    Some of these cables are such a joke, the idea is to not buy cheap ones, still buy ones that are kinda half decent connectors so they don't break, but don't spend money on Monster cables.

7. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Thanks for the reply but damm its mess up poor guy spent $1,400 on a HDTV plus $130 for the cable and i think was his first too and they told him he need to buy that cable so he can get 120hz that not right.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    At least he wasn't lieing about the TV, so he's only paid a little bit more for the cable.

That's just bad luck, so at least he's not out thousands. Buyers should always be wary of purchasing things.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Finch: "a little bit more" for the cable is a drastic understatement. i guess you didn't notice that the cable NVidiaFreak linked to which is supposedly the one the guy bought is only 6' long? you can get a decent 6' HDMI cable for a HELL of a lot less than $130. That's like.... $21.66 a foot.

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'm trying to say, at least he didn't pay $1000 more for a TV that didn't even do 120Hz in the first place.

If you think people that work in retail places are trying to do anything other than sell you the most expensive thing and get as much commission as they can, then you're pretty short sighted.

Pays to do your research, I'm not sure why you even discussing he paid for something that he didn't really need to pay more for.

In the end, he's still getting a picture etc =)

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ok.... let's try a different example of what you're trying to point out.

Say we took your Core 2 Duo E6700, that you probably paid around $170 for..... and replace it with a Pentium E2180, which costs around $70. Would you have a problem with that? you'd still be able to use your computer.

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'm really not sure what you're getting into a tiz for.

This happens all the time, a sales guy selling you something you don't need, or it's misleading information, whether he knew it was misleading or he really did believe you needed that cable for the full 120Hz who knows.

The point is, it's the consumers job to do research about this stuff beforehand, to put faith into the people selling you stuff is short sighted.

The point I'd be making, is that NvidiaFreak knew or was 99% sure that the cable he was trying to sell him was useless, he should of told the guy, no, you shouldn't pay all that extra for a Monster HDMI cable.

You're still getting the same performance out of an every day connector, all it is, is a bigger markup for something the same price, he still gets the same performance, probably even better quality, even if it is only 0.1% better quality.

It's like cars, you pay for the badge. You can still get another car that will perform the same for a lot less.

13. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 2600 XT AGP
    I bought a *very* good quality 15' HDMI cable from an eBay seller in California for $0.99 (yes 99 cents) plus $6 for shipping via Air Mail. It has very nice gold plated ends, quality strain relief, nice thick rubbery jacketing, is nice and flexible, and (most importantly) works perfectly!

I think a lot of these eBay sellers buy out bankruptcies at auction and list the goods at low starting prices because they really don't have a lot to lose, and if you time it right, you can get great deals. I buy all of my cables on eBay now after reading the comments of the sellers to make sure they are selling quality products and the other buyers are happy with them.

I'd never buy a brand name cable from any in-store retailer again.

Cheers,
    The REAL Joe

14. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    I got my self a Sony PS3 HDMI + USB 2.0. cable for $80 and its worth it because the cable is very good made and its flexible and it has HDMI 1.3a and my HDTV support that and now i am getting clean picture on PS3 but not on my cable because the HDMI cable i have only support HDMI 1.0.

15. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    This year, I bought a CRT TV for my flat. When looking at the shelves, I asked the seller guy if the TV I wanted did 60 Hz. He replied: "Here, it's either 50 or 100 Hz. 60 Hz doesn't exist." Errr, yeah... I don't think I wanna play GGX2 at 50 Hz, thank you.

Bottom line is: sellers don't know sh— about what they're selling. They have a training in selling stuff (at best), but they don't know what the specs mean most of the time. There may be exceptions, but as a rule, you should never trust them.

Last edited: May 17, 2008

16. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    The solution: Go in bigger stores
    I've found myself buying everything electronic at the same place (FutureShop), consoles, MP3 player, headset, PC speakers. (the only exception being pc hardware)

And the guy that work there, they know their stuff pretty damn well in my opinion !
    The only thing I bough there that I regret buying would be crysis XD (and I didn't speak with any salesperson that time)

17. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Monster cables are the same quality as a metal coat hanger

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... i already mentioned that in post #5..... and i wouldn't say "same quality".... it's just that to some people (not necessarily audiophiles), there was no discernable difference between the metal coat hangars and the Monster cable. Pretty much the only things that might be special about Monster cables is maybe better shielding.... better looks.... and the fact that the connections are gold plated, which honestly makes no sense to me. what's the point in plating the connections in to improve electrical conduction and achieve a better signal..... when the rest of the wire is plain old aluminum or steel or whatever? Wouldn't gold plating only really make sense should the entire wire be gold, or at least maybe gold plated?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  19. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I'm just quoting someone else (I know it, just couldn't say it verbatim):

20. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    I would imagine the coat hangers would have a larger diameter than the wires used in the Monster cables. Regardless of the quality of the metal, if you increase the diameter of the wire, electricity flows more freely, so those metal coat hangers, despite being low grade metal, could have gotten very near the quality of the Monster cables, if the size difference was great enough. The only thing, as was previously pointed out, would be that the Monster cables would have better shielding.