The best 24inch or above gamming monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nafan08, May 9, 2008.

1. nafan08

nafan08 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 + 260
    Im in the market for a new monitor 24inch mabe for gamming and with full hd support witch monitor do you recomend and why?

2. civil threat

civil threat Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
  3. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    i heard theres REALLY BAD backlight bleeding on that monitor and that it gets worse overtime.

4. Kenny9999

Kenny9999 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 5970 weeee
    samsung 245t

5. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I'll just say that TN panels leave a lot to be desired if black level or color quality are even remotely important to you. Thay are faster but that's about the only bonus they have aside from price. And if you plan to watch HD movies on it I frankly wouldn't even consider it because of those reasons.

The Dell 2407WFP can be had today for reduced price due to it being phased out. The new Dell 2408WFP is another great option, but I'm not sure if it's even 'available' yet as it's had some availability problems.

6. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    The Dell 2408WFP is available and it's FAT.

There's supposed to be ghosting and lag problems with this monitor, but I've yet to see any ghosting, perhaps a little lag if the screen moves really fast, but enabling v-sync fixes alot of it. I've played movies, games, even ran my virgin media tv box through it(I need my cable guy to tweak the box though, overvoltage from the box) and it looked great. The colours are a little too much on first install, especially the red, I figured choosing video mode(default being graphics mode) and turning down the saturation and adjusting the colours did the trick, took me an hour to properly configure it.
    Beware if you haven't got a graphics card that can do 1920x1200 well, the native resolution, you will see scaling on lower resolutions, 16x12 is one notch lower which is 4:3, 1920x1200 is 16:10 and 12x10 just looks crap, I've to figure a way to get 1680x1050 resolution, can't why not, curse you dell.

Quite impressed with this screen, nice clear vibrant colours with a crystal clear image.

7. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I have great black levels on my gateway fhd2400 and the color just pops... the only downside is as the viewing angle changes the color shifts...

I think they fixed the backlight bleed as I don't see that on mine...

Edit: got mine at newegg as an open box for just about $100 off... great deal, I am sure they will have them again, you just have to check their open box site everyday...

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    I just picked up the FHD 2400 Gateway , and I am not impressed the colors shift at view and they don't pop like they did on the HP W2400 not the H version, plus
    I found a stuck pixle I am not happy with this monitor and I am thinking of returning it and getting the newer HP, although I do give it credit there is no blurring, ghosting when you move around in games though the color shifts when viewing is annoying and am certain it means the LCD is of poor quality. I am still testing but so far I am getting more displeased (need to see if some problems are due to driver issue) and yes the back light bleeds but not as bad as the first HP 2408 I tested that thing had BAD BLEEDING.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  9. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Picking an LCD is a very personal thing as I discovered... Makes it hard if buying it online, because you really have to see alot of them in person and keep in mind the lighting in store is much brighter...

I am not picky by any means and actually think the color shift adds a nice effect to some things... It is not enough of a shift to bother me...

I looked at the HP panel before I got mine, liked that one too, but didn't have all the inputs I wanted...

10. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    Get the BenQ FP241VW or BenQ FP241W

they are really great monitors and not just a monitor it can be used for hdtv, it has HDMI input so you can connect your games on it.
    does high resolution and doesn't use crappy TN panels and it has actually great picture quality.

11. nafan08

nafan08 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 + 260
    so the more i spend the more i get out of it?

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I got my Acer "on sale" for $380. It has basic inputs with DVI and HDMI - no other bells or whistles - but the colour is great; crisp, clear and fast. That meets my prerequisites, exactly! :)

13. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I bought a ViewSonic 28" monitor, and i am very happy with it.
    It is extremely fast, and shows no ghosting what so ever.
    I run everything at 1920x1200 (except Crysis).
    I have heard a few reports of the colours not being as good as newer monitors, but that doesnt bother me as i use a Pantone Huey monitor calibration tool. It wont matter what monitor you buy, if you dont calibrate it, its colours wont be as they should be.
    I mainly use mine for photoshop-ing and games (and internet of course)..

14. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I believe I made a semantic error, I should've said color 'accuracy' not 'quality'. TN panels can't get very good color accuracy (and in that case it means quality to me, hence why I used the word) because they are only 6-bit. I have a 22" Acer with TN panel (all 22" LCDs are TN though) and the difference between it and my 24" is night and day.

15. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Typically the more you spend, the higher quality the panel would be (in general)... The key for me was what was the least I could spend and get everything I wanted... So budget can play a big role in which one you choose...

16. nafan08

nafan08 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 + 260
    ok money aside witch monitor has the best of everyting or close to it? it seems verry confusing at the moment.

17. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    Here is a nice article I just read the whole thing, you should have a glance, http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302

Now as for the gateway FHD2400 I am going to take it back and get another one this dead pixle is just laughing at me,and the bleeding is now very noticeable perhaps I got a bad egg but I read some interesting things about it, seems like a decent gaming monitor, if you deal with photo shop go with the DELL.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    BenQ FP241W hands down in the 24" category. Good luck finding one though.

19. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Well what features are you must haves vs would like, vs don't care?

speakers, inputs, adjustable mount, speakers, glossy or matte screen, USB... ect...

Also think of what you will be using it for mostly... I think some of the high end LCD's are overkill unless you do work that you need exact color accuracy, if you just gaming or watching movies, I think you can save some money by sacrificing a little bit of quality. Doesn't' mean the cheaper panels will look like crap by any means...

I did a lot of research and comparing... And in the end it just came down to what personally looked best for me vs the amount of money I was willing to spend...

If you have a best buy or a circuit city near by, I'd suggest going and looking at some in person... Like I said before, keep in mind lighting in the store is a lot brighter that it will be once you get it home. So glare and reflection will be worse in the store...

20. nafan08

nafan08 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 + 260
    im after one for games and movies so it needs to be fast and im after hdmi and a high contrast i dont need speakers and would be nice if it looked sexy :) and because im from aus i have to order one in :(