Dark Messiah Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rumpus01, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I found no dedicated thread to this game, so I thought I'd make one in case other people have questions similar to mine about it. I've heard very bad things about this game from various reviews around the net, but I just played the demo, and I think it's brilliant! Does anyone else share these thoughts with me? I think I'll go purchase the full version now since it's only $20. Or am I missing something? If that's the case stop me now.

2. lancerz

lancerz Guest

I like the game alot, it came free with my 8800gts and i played pretty much to the end. Has nice graphics and the gameplay is fun, and for 20 bucks it seems like a good deal. Only thing i dont like about it is STEAM.

3. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    I bought it quite a long time ago but never got round to finishing it. I guess i got about 3/4 of the way through it.

What i did play of it i thought was really good though. I'll have to fire it up again and finish it one day.

The multiplayer is pretty fun too.

4. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    It could be worth $20.
    It's one of those game you play once (mybe twice) and never look back. Graphics are nice, performance is good (Source engine). There's an above the average (imho) plot and some tough bosses. And a (very predictable) choice between good and evil towards the end.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    back at the time there was 2 choices Oblivion and Dark Messiah, personally i loved both but i thought Dark Messiah was the better one it featured a tighter gameplay and what it lacked in terms of story it made up in terms of action, some users thought DM was boring after a while and it was true but the best cure for that was playing the game for 1 hour at a time, Oblivion on the other hand kept everything fresh thanks to the very open ended gameplay.

i really loved Dark Messiah and recommended it to all my friends, i didn't finish the game yet but it's still on my harddrive it's just a matter of time before finish it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  6. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I broke down and bought the game from Steam. That was a good idea... since I had downloaded the demo from Steam already (which was 2 GB or so) it was already 80% complete for the SP to download. I haven't downloaded the MP yet, but that was a big plus since I got to start playing the full version shortly after purchasing. I'm enjoying this more than oblivion. Sure it's more linear, but the combat is so much more fun. I just forged my own blade also!

7. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    The combat in Dark Messiah I thought would be revolutionary (except for the haphazard implementation of physics, you know, kicking guys into spikes from a 90* angle) but I haven't seen another implementation anything like it. It was fast, precise, and extremely fluid. It seriously felt like my character was swinging a giant sword back and forth; I wanted my mouse to have a rumble feature to quake with each successive clash of steel on steel.

Assassin's Creed combat is vaguely akin, but still nowhere near as immersive; it feels more like I'm watching a fight than controlling it, which is the opposite effect of Messiah's combat.

8. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Yea the combat really does give a great feel to it. I love the daggers, especially throwing one into a necromancer's throat hehe. I'm off to play more. By the way, how long is the SP, and is the MP good also?

9. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Great game, I played through it twice. FYI you can buy it off amazon for under 10usd.

10. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Well sh*t.

11. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Honestly the Released version of the game and the demo are as different as night and day to me. The demo gave the promise of something close to revolutionary but the end product just didn't live up to to that expectation. The Combat? repetitive. The AI? as predictable as it gets. The storyline? ...well... you could pretty much figure that out from beginning to end after the first couple of cut scenes.

12. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Of course the combat is repetitive. That's what games are, they all have a certain combat type, and it's used over and over in the games. All games do that. And besides, this is the most impressive sword and dagger combat in first person view i've come across. Story line is pretty predictable yea, but at least it's interesting and different as well.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's what i said above somehow DM features tighter gameplay hence you're drawn into the game, Oblivion on the other hand being too open ended (and just like most open ended games) there's always a loss with the go-anywhere, it's not bad at all infact Oblivion was a breath of fresh air just didn't feature a tighter gameplay like DM. imo.

14. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I just wish Oblivion's combat were like Dark Messiah's!! I mean, the whole game is a bit average in terms of level design and storyline but the combat was near perfection; frickin' awesome! The use of magic was ace as well, unlike in Oblivion where you'd just fire different coloured **** at your enemy. The main problem was that you couldn't really just be a mage or pure assassin. The game was far too linear and constricted for that, which was a shame.
    I'm not really comparing DM to Oblivion so don't flame me!