Remembering the Old

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netgamer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. fclage

fclage Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    Cool :)... One curious thing... AMD or Intel? It has both marked on the CPU :)
    (Before you reply, Yes: it's an Intel - but as a funny note it has «AMD» on top right as well, and the AMD logo on the left... and (c)Intel... hmmm.... were these two friends in the old days? AMD making Intel cpu's? LOL)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Did anyone catch this? it says Intel and AMD?

Did was it INTEL + AMD back then? and AMD got mad and broke away?

or is it...... Intel still owns AMD and they are just making a BUTT load of cash? Selling intels and amd's?

^^ guy makes a good point. it has Intel© and AMD with the Arrow®

3. fclage

fclage Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    Yeah, I've posted it just 5 mins ago ;)

Back then AMD made chips for intel:
    «In February 1982, AMD signed a contract with Intel, becoming a licensed second-source manufacturer of 8086 and 8088 processors. IBM wanted to use the Intel 8088 in its IBM PC, but IBM's policy at the time was to require at least two sources for its chips. AMD later produced the Am286 under the same arrangement, but Intel canceled the agreement in 1986 and refused to convey technical details of the i386 part.»
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD#8086.2C_Am286.2C_Am386.2C_Am486.2C_Am5x86

4. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Yeah, the main lab went Intel, AMD went post boost the tecnology of main lab add more MHZ for example, until the final break in 86.

EDIT:

Does anyone have 8008 ?

fclage, nice collection thank for the pics =)

5. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Okay, now NO ONE can complain anymore about their new card and how big it is.

[​IMG]

6. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    AMD NEVER made chips for Intel. However, AMD used to license Intels designs and sell them as their own CPU's (hence the credit to Intel printed on it). They did this right up until the 486 days - I have an AMD 486 DX4 100 in the cupboard.

This was the main reason Intel moved from the x86 designation to Pentium - they couldnt copyright a number.

After they refused to release the details of the 386 - Intel were successfully** sued by AMD, and were adjudged to be anti-competitive, and conspiring to form a monopoly. Intel then HAD to 'license' (or at least allow reverse engineering, which is what AMD were already doing to release their imitation 386 using their exisiting 1976 pact, extended in 1982) their designs to AMD.

If it wasnt for that series of events, there would be no AMD today.

**I use 'successfully' lightly, as AMD were only awarded $15million in their breach of contract ruling, barely copvering the legal costs, and as AMD actually were forced to pay Intel royalties for CPU sales, Intel actually made abou $8million out of the case!

7. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    ^^ I wont explain better.

8. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

JOhn It's funny that i have that same matrox Millennium in my server. ill got find my of stuff to see if i have any old stuff:).

9. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    WHAT>? speak or spell correctly...... WHAT?

10. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    had to love the Riva tnt2 xD [​IMG]
    Had it in my 9 year old pc along with a pent2 400mhz and 256mb pc100 ram. Hit 30fps on 1.6 ;), a beast it was

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    WHY IT HAS AMD ON =) ?

12. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Ops, wrong verb, english is not my native language :p

Im trying to say I can´t explain better < very true LoL

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Awesome! These are some full-blown server cards for sure :D

14. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    OxB800-OxBFFF was the 16k color screen buffer in upper memory (OxB000-OxB7FF was monochrome but often used to exceed the 640kb memory limit...back when an additional 16k of RAM was a big deal and we made damn good use of it) ;)

15. fclage

fclage Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    I'm glad to see that there are still people that actually KNOW how a computer works ;)

This is also the proof that Bill Gates never said anything like "640k should be enough" when he made DOS since that 640k limit was imposed by the VGA's buffer at address 0xA000-AFFFF (640k-704k).
    If you had a CGA or Hercules, then your DOS (contiguous) memory would be at the most 736k (limited only by the required text buffer at 0xB800) and not limited to 640k anymore (assuming that you had enough memory for that).

If Bill Gates ever said anything similar to that it would be something like "1MB should be enough" since the DOS system was limited to 16 kb blocks in 16-bit addresses, so all execution data must be stored within the 0x0000-0XFFFF in 16k block sizes (first megabyte of RAM).

Just a lesson from an "old timer" to new guys that only learned computers with "Windows" (or any other graphical interface) already on it ;)

// FCLage

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh I remember when just to have a screen at all was a big deal lol my first year in computer science in college we entered programs onto paper tape with a keypunch machine and that was then transferred via teletype to the computer at the university several hundred miles away and a week later we would get the results back on the teletype's dot matrix printer. It was a very painful learning process when you had to wait another week just to correct a simple syntax error.

The next year the school bought some used Datapoint computers with a little monitor built into the desk-sized unit...I think it was like 40 characters wide and 4 lines high but WOW...and a hard drive storage that would crash if you looked at it wrong :)

17. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Ahh, my first card for a gaming rig was a Riva TNT2 8MB !!

[​IMG]

I had a PCI card in my VERY FIRST computer, but I don't remember what it was.

18. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    ^ there was no 8mb riva tnt 2's
    lol thats a 64mb card

19. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I had a dual head ISA card... I will need to see if it still exists in the confines of the pc graveyard at my parents house... This thing had a whole 1mb of vid ram! :p Wish I could remember who made it, but that was too many years ago...

I don't think Matrox made ISA cards...

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    As far I remember, there were some value Riva TNT2 Vanta cards with 8MB. Most M64's were 16 or 32MB though. I had an M64 for one week at one point, and it has to be one of the worst cards I've ever had.