Thanks ATI, switching to Nvidia!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by meds, Mar 23, 2008.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    sadly i agree with people here, i have been with nvidia for many years but they stopped support for AGP, i went with ATI and no driver support what so ever and the card didnt work on any OS. I guess that is why nvidia stopped and moved on. I am not saying ATI are bad but from my expierience i prefer Nvidia, running my 8800GT now and its amazing!! everything runs amazing on max everything!!

2. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    Your comment reads great but I do not get it. From where to where did you switch? And why?

Btw, everything running on max everything sounds really cool. :nerd:

3. walle30

walle30 New Member

2 x Inno3D 8800GT 512MB SLI wow in agp good 4 you!!!
    but sounds strange

4. virtualex

virtualex Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-800/4400
    Personally i'm wainting for radeon 4780, if if the 20w in idle and 1g dd5 parts are true.
    hopefully it can be moded to firegl.

ps:don't leave ati now, seems that assassin's creed supports dx10.1.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008

5. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Havnt had even single prob with my 3850. OC nicely even my CPU is bottleneck =)

6. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    i am with you my brother

7. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    ati drivers sucks for some... nvidia drivers sucks for others... i cant really see whats the reason here, youre going to sell ur ati go back to nvidia and then get some more driver problems.... doesnt make alot of sense to me

8. ReDi

ReDi Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    I switched from an XP 32-bit machine with an 8800GTS in it to a Vista 64-bit machine with an HD4870 in it. The difference in performance is amazing, but the difference in stability is amazing as well. So my current feeling is that it wasn't a good move going from nVidia to ATI, but as stated already above who can tell how the situation would have been if I had gotten a 9800GTX or a GTX260 instead of the HD4870?

It's pretty clear to me that ATI need to get a good driver out soon for the 48x0, since the 8.7 driver obviously still has a lot of issues. I'll be patient and give them some time to get things sorted out, time will tell whether the switch was a good one or not...

9. pint

pint Active Member

GPU:
    club 3d 4870
    +1

had both nvidia and ati
    also had problems with both nvidia and ati drivers
    as for 8.7 they are stable and sollid performing for me

10. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    Ive always been a Nvidia man my self my last card was a 8800gts 320 meg xfx etreme oc which ran really good, then i bought a ATI Sapphire 4870 gddr5 to see what all the fuss was about, and it owns my old Nvidia card and actually runs Crysis pretty damn good aswell so ATI 4870 FTW in my opioion...

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I doubt your CPU is a bottleneck. Oc it some, and you'll get better frames, but in no real way it's a bottleneck. Now a Pentium 4 or Pentium D would be a bottleneck.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    nvidia does make some really good drivers, especially the beta ones for some odd reason.

i actually havnt had a driver issue in nearly a year now i think its been. even when vista first came out i didnt have anything specific, games played and no bsod's from it. so way to go nv!

i think ATI typically has better hardware architecture, but hardware is useless without good drivers to make it sing.

13. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    well - if you do switch to Nvidia don't bother buying an sli config.

I've just switched to ATI from an NV 7950 x2, and its surprising just how many games are configured to only use 1xGPU. SLI is really a waste of money for NV. Also, NV cant run AA & HDR/Bloom simultaneously. Also, recent drivers are having loads of issues. Also, NV software - like their new overclocking utility - is as useful as a one legged man at an arse-kicking contest, and there's rumours it can also stuff your mobo. Some NV tips for setting up certain games are just plain wrong - I'm seriusly doubting these guys know what they're doing these days - a bunch of clowns.

When I built my system I was very careful to buy only the componants recomended for accessing certain performance boosting features, a lot of money, and did I get the features - did i heck!

With the few moans I'm reading here about ATI, I still think I've made the right decision switching to ATI.

As I type the postman's just arrived with my new HD 4870 - so here goes..... :D

14. ReDi

ReDi Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Update on my posting: updating my mobo BIOS seems to have done wonders, indicating that the latest ATI driver isn't so bad at all...