Nvidia 9900 series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by calebMaster, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    DX10.1 is supported by hardware, but most of the revisions made in the API are trivial at best. They add some new stuff but we probably won't see it in games for a while.

2. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Hmmm..? Last I heard 10.1 was due to come out with the release of SP1..
    Is that correct? When I type in dxdiag, in the directx section it still just shows 10 with SP1 being installed..

3. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I think you need a card that supports 10.1 anyway...

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3264

nahlem + larrabee is the thing
    well actually Sandy bridge will have 256 micro ops, now with c2d 96 and first nahlems its 128( With more micro-ops in flight, Nehalem can extract greater instruction level parallelism (ILP) as well as support an increase in micro-ops thanks to each core now handling micro-ops from two threads at once.). But this isn't that important, what is the direct cpu to gpu access (quick path interconnect) + "half ray-traced" Larrabee will do the trick, so that info about 9900 and ray-tracing 1.0 isn't such a dumb information now is it...

i think thats why nvidia is finally making a move, because larrabee is going to be a serious competition (btw i think it will be dx11)

well according to this article and it sounds very real even though its almost a year old, on this page its about raster and ray tracing in Larrabee

and an interesting quote

5. madagent

madagent Maha Guru

GPU:
    Voodoo
    Orion, can you please explain to us what applications you are talking about with the PS3 actually utilizing ray tracing and stop assuming we all know what application you are talking about . You know, instead of being overly defensive and arrogant with anyone who tries to apply a real world use to ray tracing?

Personally I'd like to know how a PS3 is practically using ray tracing right now.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Besides the initial PS3 Ray Trace demo that was live (didn't show much) this is the only other video I can find of PS3 raytrace in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLte5f34ya8

As you can see, even with 3x6 SPE's the framerate isn't smooth and it's also rendering a pretty low quality image.

7. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    I posted a link few posts above. I'll stop being arrogant and you'll improve reading comprehension, k? :)

Anyways, burden of proof is not on me, but on the person who made a blanket statement of saying that using ray tracing in games is impossible.

Which obviously isnt true. While there may not be many implementations, its certainly not impossible.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  8. hemmy

hemmy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x6950 Crossfire
    Glad to see the cards are going to back to molex.......:crapper:

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I've looked at ray-tracing before, seen demos, tried some demos (1 was interactive bowling).

It's really good but until we get to 32 (more likely 64) cores then you can forget about seeing any games using it.

I imagine we will see more and more concept demos coming out in the next few years right up until a major game studio announces the 1st "proper" ray-traced game. Unfortunately, I honestly think it's at least 3-5 years away.

The most important element for us is obviously that it's real-time so it's just a matter of waiting for the technology to catch up :)

Maybe we'll even see movie/games where you're watching the film and you have the option to play aswell, you could be thrown into the action to play out that part of the story!

The difference to the current situation is the quality of the interactive sections are the same as the film!

Maybe studios like Pixar could re-release films like Toy Story in software format allowing you to control the camera wherever you want :D

10. Vulier

Vulier Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9600GT SSC / Acer 24" LCD
    Have the 1920x1200 version of this by any chance?

11. Lightang3l

Lightang3l Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX

YES i'm rendering in 3DMAX and that's exactly what i'm talking about !! Imagine that on a wide scale like: GTA 4 ....doooohhh ... come on people....stop dreaming :D ... i don't care about published papers .... for 7 years i made ray traced images ...and i know ma god damned rendering times ...

RAY TRACING IN GAMES IS IMPOSSIBLE !!!

that is just a sphere ...some faces were extruded (beveled) and then "turbo-smooth" was applied ! added lights and some huge values for surface scattering and reflection/refraction . :)

(i think i have this picture on a DVD ...but i'm not sure :)

12. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    10 ps3's, a lot of gaffa tape, perhaps some chewing gum....

Maybe that could do ray tracing??? ;-)

Someone should start a new thread on this sounds really interesting i remember a friend at cambridge uni telling me about this said it took hours to render single frames.

Until we get out of the hole that is atx format, i doubt we will see anything like this. Sony are working on a optical version of the cell processor which should scale well, maybe a 20-30 vector core version could do it?

How come stream processors arent suited to it?

I dont do rendering so feel free to call me a tard. More ray pics would be cool too. Someone should render the nano suit. :-D

13. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  14. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    If you don't care about published papers, we don't care about your 'experience'. Stop talking <-- This is a link, click it. Ray tracing in games.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  15. Lightang3l

Lightang3l Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX
    why the hell should i publish papers??? do you think i have nothing better to do??

excuse me reno_skychaser ...but where the hell is the connection here? I told you ray tracing is imposible in GAMS at this point in time.... what dose that have to do with papers??? dooohhh... :|

and btw ...I'm rendering a transparent engine block for a site right now ... and i'm looking at 7 hours and 16 minutes ... .wooooow...that's what i call real time... :D

peace dudes....dream on

16. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Seriously, how old are you?

Do you think that ray tracing a static image is the same as interactive scene?

Do you know anything about accelerated data structures, etc, etc?

Using a graphics design tool, doesn't make you an expert on Ray Tracing. Hell I used Rhino for few years, I'm an expert now? Not really, but I've read enough papers and other material to know that you're full of crap.

If you refuse to take into account published papers which most often describe state of the art in ray tracing, you have no right to speak.

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    [sarcasm]

Yes, because your dual core CPU was made for raytracing images.

[/sarcasm]

18. Lightang3l

Lightang3l Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX
    you people are insene .... what dose anything you just told me have ANYTHING to do with ray tracing in real time????

i work with 3D MAX ....i'm old enough ...

so...i'm full of crap???? OK then show me some media...a DEMO ...something anything that uses ray tracing in real time

LINK PLEASE !!!

if not...then you are full of crap not me !

and OrionRU ...graphics 101 "static images are renderd from interactive and changeble scenes using viewing angles" ... maybe you shoud go back to school...

PS : i don't use the dual core CPU at my job..that is ma home CPU ...I have a high end machine here ;)

19. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    See the link in my previous post

20. Lightang3l

Lightang3l Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX
    the link you posted is from Intel's 32 / 64 / 80 core CPU :pc1: NOT OUT YET ! ... if you read my posts you will see this : "I told you ray tracing is impossible in GAMS at this point in time" and "i really hope they will implement it in future hardware but as for now ...it is impossible"

what part of "for now" don't you understand? I didn't say it will NEVER be done ...I'm saying right NOW it is impossible ..(the 80 core Intel processor is not out yet)

so please read before you start flipping your top ... :bang: