New Vista Service Pack Boosts Gaming Performance

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Raven'sBlood, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Raven'sBlood

Raven'sBlood Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTX
    Windows Vista users who apply the just-released Service Pack 1 patch should receive a general increase in gaming performance, according to several benchmarking websites.

Technology site ExtremeTech is showing up to a 46 frame-per-second increase in Crysis low-quality performance after applying the patch, with similarly large 20 FPS gains recorded in World in Conflict.

The advantage of Service Pack 1 was of a smaller magnitude under high quality settings, with only modest 2-5 FPS boosts recorded on average. The performance increase has also shown to be inconsistent across varying games--some benefiting little by the patch--as well as when comparing systems with Nvidia and ATI video cards.

Many gamers have been reluctant to upgrade from Microsoft's Windows XP to Windows Vista due to the latter's widely-known disadvantage in gaming performance. However, comparisons between XP and Vista performance are now neck-and-neck, with Vista actually winning out in a few instances, according to Neowin.

While today's patch seems to generally benefit users running under reasonable settings and hardware, those with beefy quad-SLI video cards may actually see a performance decrease, as bit-tech.net documents.

Service Pack 1 also adds support for DirectX 10.1, which offers shader model 4.1 support and greater control over anti-aliasing options for those users with supported video cards.

The pack can be auto-downloaded through Windows Update, or found on Microsoft's site in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors.

2. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Yeah. . . right.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    done it and er.........NO

4. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    Ah no, matter of fact, I've got game crashing issues, for which I'm getting ready to go back to WindowsXP Pro, and now I find out Nvidia's drivers are mostly to blame.

I thought the service pack would fix a lot of these issues, but no, it doesn't.

5. pajoas

pajoas Member Guru

GPU:
    4850 1gig 750/1100
    i ran vista since November thinking the service pack would make things a bit better but the opposite happened for me. never had any crashes with vista but, system always felt sluggish. sp1 made it worse. so back to xp for me like i said vista ran everything i through at it but it always felt felt sluggish.

6. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    who play's crysis in low quality anyway ;p
    Tbh as for max fps you get ingames i dont really care about that to.
    its avg and minimum fps that matters tbh.
    if fps does't drop below 60 then i consider that good enough tbh ofc more is still better

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    performance improvement my ass....no performance improvement here...

8. I definitely noticed improvements on the desktop but not in gaming

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah, for me there are improvements for everything, but gaming. Not that big of a deal.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    tbh id want vista sp1... but no finnish version yet... even tho there was rc in finnish T_T

11. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Performance increase??????????

Must be small as ive not noticed it in real world terms.

any game i can get running at 60fps or more, i vsync at 60 because i dont like the jittering and tearing that i get on my monitor at other framerates.

60fps vsynced...........Loveley.

Try Aquamark(i know its old) massive reduction in framerate:):):):):)

Sp1 seems to have made things slightlty worse for me.

I suspect that some people have performance increases??????... NO???

Oh well not me anyway.

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I have never seen a decrees in performance with any of the SP1's i have installed, not even the betas. It is true that you need to let the system redo it's prefetching and at least defrag it one time. Also make sure you don't have any software or hardware drivers which are not SP1 compatible.

13. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Stop crying... Xp the same when it first come out crash here and there. It take 2SP and 3 Gen of hardware to make Xp what we see today.

14. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    i wanted to install vista sp1 but it's not showing in the updates in windows update. anyone knows why ?

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Did you install all the prerequisite updates ? Also just keep trying it sometimes takes a little time for it to show.

The Vista sticky as links to the full install (5 languages) and more info on why SP1 might be unalienable for some.

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    exactly...i can't wait for windows 7..:nerd:...to see people again crying "man vista is the sh*t...this windows 7 is rubbish..and so on.."..

17. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    I guess if there bringing windows 7 out already...........

Kind of answers what microsoft think of Vista themselves NO?????

From the horses mouth....

Wonder if theres a cheap upgrade from vista to windows7.

No doubt ill buy this one also:)

18. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    windows 7 is scheduled for 2010...as far as i know...but i think it will be out in 2011...there's plenty of time for vista to become stable..

19. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  20. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    "tbh id want vista sp1... but no finnish version yet... even tho there was rc in finnish T_T"

SP1 32 bit 36 languages. Around 400-500 kb/s. I got it a way over month ago. Installed that about 7-10 pc´s. All good, real thing.

http://ibox.org.ua/100637/

Ps. Ryu5uzaku: Olen asentanut tuon sp1 varmaankin jo yli kymmeneen koneeseen. Ei ongelmia ja on takuulla aito sp1. Älä anna Venäläisen sivun häiritä, ovat saaneet sen MSDN:n kautta ihan laillisesti jo ajat sitten.