Looking for help for building a nice sounds system for the pc.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jazziam, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
    You were probably born in the late 90's, don't act like you know a thing about audio besides wiring the positive to positive and negative to negative on a SVC driver.

The TS parameters of the driver will have more of an effect over performance than any of that crap you posted.
    A driver with a FS of 15hz and a sensitivity of 90db would effectively do 90db at it's FS with 1w while requiring 2w-4w to do the same SPL at another frequency.
    Your argument and your intelligence is flawed, go home. :wanker:

2. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    It would also help if they mentioned how they setup their amplifier, reference levels, etc. -19db on the Amplifier doesn't say much.
    Flawed review in my opinion. They don't know what they're doing, lol.

3. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Well guys i finally have a bit of money behind me to allow me to get atleast my soundcard for my pc. I was lookng around for something decnet yet not breaking the bank.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-003-HT&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

any opinions on this sound card. Deckard recommended this sounds card. But anyone know what these are like?

P.S. Im planning on getting an amp and a set of bookshelf speakers but i dont want to break the bank, just want something better than my £50 5.1 creative speaker set and using onboard audio -_-".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are decent enough for the price. I would recommend changing out the opamps though with something a bit better quality. Good Luck.

5. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    You won't be disappointed, as I used to have this card routed through my hifi and the results were strong. You also have the option to upgrade the opamps in future, as Robscix mentioned. It can be very cheap to do this, with manufacturers such as Texas Instruments offering free samples.

It's really an entry-level to Auzentech - you'll love the card (I preferred it to the X-Fi straight away) but you may find with this enthusiasm you become interested in modding and upgrading!

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    sry for steling the tread... :D

^its the same crossover but form the main page not from ebay as that guy posted.

to all that know some stuff about crossovers, i have mine in altec lansing mx5021 it looks like this i just bumped in this article by accident and it turned out to be quite interesting... have a look at that pathetic crossover build in this speaker.
    So now i was wondering could i change the whole thing just like in that link? or is that crossover to powerful 150w...

Satellites:
    1x 1" Loaded Horn Tweeter
    2x 3" Full Midrange Drivers
    20 Watts/ Channel @ 6 ohms
    Frequency Response: 150 - 18000 Hz

7. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    A few things:

One of the cheapest ways to improve your sound is to use the right software setup. If your running XP, you'll want a player that can bypass the k-mixer. Foobar2000 has a kernel streaming plugin that stops the operating system from resampling the audio. Other players can use ASIO to achieve bit-perfect play back. Your sound card drivers must support kernel streaming or ASIO for this to work.

Under Vista, the audio quality is much better than XP; but there is still an "exclusive" mode that ensures bit-perfect playback. Foobar2000 with the kernel streaming component still works in Vista. Make sure that you enable the sound card to enter exclusive mode in the Vista audio control panel though.

You might also want to try another hardware route. You can find a cheaper sound card that supports digital output (and also kernel streaming or ASIO) and get an external (stand alone) DAC. Then route the audio from the DAC into an amp. This way you don't need to get an expensive sound card, but external DACs can get pricey.

The Prelude, X-Plosion, X-Meridian (discontinued) from Auzentech have good analog sections (DAC, opamps, etc) but they spend a lot to get 6 or 8 analog channels. You can use any cheap sound card to use with an external DAC as long as it has digital out and supports kernel streaming or ASIO.

If you go the external DAC route, you can dump a traditional receiver and spend more on a dedicated 2 channel or 2.1 channel analog amp.

Also, you might get a better bang-for-the-buck audio experience if you use headphones and a headphone amp.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  8. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Cheers Guys =]

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @jazziam, I see you made your decision....Enjoy, Let us know how you find the card when you get it.